Unofficial and useless New Vectrix Warranty Claim Register

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mik
Mik's picture
Unofficial and useless New Vectrix Warranty Claim Register

This "Unofficial and useless New Vectrix Warranty Claim Register" can be used just in case it turns out to be difficult to register a warranty claim with the buyers of Vectrix' Corpse...

How about we make a list of attempted warranty claims here, so that it is on "public record" that a warranty claim was existing at the relevant time and that attempts were made to register the claim?

Of course, putting your warranty claim in here would in no way be sufficient - this is not an official Vectrix register, just a forum full people who want their scooters fixed!

Does anyone know what is the proper, official way to file a warranty claim with New Vectrix (or with whoever else succeeds at buying the Vectrix Corp remnants)?

Victrix
Re: Unofficial and useless New Vectrix Warranty Claim Register

My 2008 Vectrix needs a new charger, with a non-defective memory that actually records the amount of charge in the battery, so that I get bars and remaining range figures on the instruments instead of '0 km' and no bars, even with a fully charged battery.

Mik
Mik's picture

Here is a link to the Vectrix Corporation Debtor Website:

http://omnimgt.com/SBLite/Templates/A/DocumentsList.aspx?tagid=263&clientId=CsgAAncz%2b6buTzR%2b%2bd6ChVt2GwDA04rufIdvfDGiPiuCI5...

Somewhere in all those very interesting documents should be something about the warranty cover conditions.

Very interesting documents in there!

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

Magendanz
Magendanz's picture

Since Vectrix went into receivership, I've had to pay for replacing my main motor controller fuse, which I believe should be covered under warrantee. I currently have a shorted cell which limits my range to only a few miles, but the local dealership has been unable to replace the battery or damaged cell due to lack of parts and technical support from Vectrix.

Mik
Mik's picture

Here is a link to the Vectrix Corporation Debtor Website:

http://omnimgt.com/SBLite/Templates/A/DocumentsList.aspx?tagid=263&clientId=CsgAAncz%2b6buTzR%2b%2bd6ChVt2GwDA04rufIdvfDGiPiuCI5...

Somewhere in all those very interesting documents should be something about the warranty cover conditions.

Very interesting documents in there!

Has anyone read this stuff?

Mik
Mik's picture

How about this bit:

Inventory

Photobucket

Or this:

Photobucket

R
R's picture

Vectrix with A123 lithium battery... these batteries perform like plasma, have a look at the killacycle, http://www.killacycle.com/, KillaCycle uses A123 battery and it set the overall world record for an electric vehicle in the 1/4 mile... good choice...

Mik
Mik's picture

Well, it does not neccessarily mean much, because "All cell Technologies", Brammo and Tesla Motors are also mentioned with "mutual non-disclosure agreements".

Mik
Mik's picture

According to this the legal action between VUS and Vectrix Australia is ongoing:

Photobucket

Could anyone explain what that means in plain language:

"Claim to vacate debtor's petition to place distributor in bancruptcy" ???

Mik
Mik's picture

Here is how to file a proper claim:

You need to complete a "Proof of claim form" and it needs to be recieved (in hard copy) before the general bar date on January 5th, 2010.

The proof of claim form is similar to the one you can find on this site: http://omnimgt.com/SBLite/Templates/A/ClaimForm.aspx?clientId=CsgAAncz%2b6buTzR%2b%2bd6ChVt2GwDA04rufIdvfDGiPiuCI53V%2f6KfQY7qxN...

But the form sent to some owners looks slightly different, and has dozens of pages in convoluted legal English attached to it. A bit of a nightmare for non-English speakers.

Mik
Mik's picture

I made a web-enquiry via the OMNI Management website about Australian warranty claims:

Original question posted:

How do Australian owners make a claim?

Answer:

Thank you for your inquiry. I will forward this inquiry on and will
provide an answer later this week.

Further question by me, this time email:

Hi Xxxxx,

thank you very much for your speedy reply!

Please excuse my rather rude and short message left at the website, quoted below, byt there was some malfunction on the website, it would not let me write any longer message than those few words. You might want to look into that.

It said something like: "Message length 5-5000" as the error message, but would not allow it.

So. to get to the point, here is what I wanted to ask:

Can the Australian Vectrix Scooter owners be considered if they file a "Proof of claim form?

Australian owners have been unable to obtain warranty work for quite a while and there might be a considerable number of claims.

It is however difficcult for a lay person to understand what is happening between Vectrix USA and Vectrix Australia, apparently there are ongoing court proceedings in the Australian High Court.

Any help to clarify this would be greatly appreciated!

[Mr. Mik]

The reply:

If you believe you have a claim based on the warranty that you received when you purchased your Vectrix bike, you are entitled to make a claim in the bankruptcy case. The procedures proposed in our motion apply equally to all purchasers of Vectrix scooters. We are requesting that the deadline to submit such claims be set for January 5, 2010.

Unfortunately, because we are counsel to the Debtor in this case, we cannot provide you with legal advice. We would suggest that you consult with an attorney if you have an further questions.

Best Regards,
Xxxxx

tom5007

congratulations Mik, after all you might end up with warranty services for your bike. I wish you best of luck and do fill in this form, it cant hurt, can it?

Norman

belrose

Oh how I wish I'd seen this earlier!!

Any further news?

My V is completely dead, was never able to be registered (some stuff up on V Australia's behalf) and is just taking up space in my garage. I've never succeeded in getting anyone from Vectrix AU or US to call me back.

Aircon

Oh how I wish I'd seen this earlier!!

Any further news?

My V is completely dead, was never able to be registered (some stuff up on V Australia's behalf) and is just taking up space in my garage. I've never succeeded in getting anyone from Vectrix AU or US to call me back.

That's odd. I just rode up to Vicroads and rode out with registration. This was a bit over a year ago. What happened when you went to register it, just as a matter of interest?

gasdive

There's some new paperwork that's required by the state registration authorities. It appears to have no legal standing, but they just like to do it and refuse to process your registration without it. What it essentially is, is that the manufacturer has to inform them of the VIN numbers of all the bikes they bring in. If the VIN doesn't match then RTA, VicRoads etc assume it may be stolen somewhere else in the world and some how by majik transported into Australia, somehow by majik avoiding Customs who require an ADR plate and an import authority before allowing it into the country. (perhaps smuggled "internally"?) This apparently stemed the huge flow of stolen vehicles coming into Australia. ("Huge Flow" = "Nil" in this case).

Just more useless red tape.

=:)

Jason
Blogging my Zero DS from day one http://zerods.blogspot.com/

belrose

Well, the first time an RTA troll decided that despite my having the receipt with me, I must have stolen it and she had better call the Police. They wouldn't tell me anything other than "call the person you bought it from". 2nd time with a different RTA who were much more helpful and less paranoid they suggested the most likely problem was a typo when the VIN was being registered with DOTARS. The gentleman at the RTA even called Vectrix Australia (whom I bought the bike from), and gave them very precise instructions about how to fix the problem, however, as the months passed it was to no avail. Vectrix emailed me a few times telling me the problem was sorted out, however, whenever I went to the RTA they said it was not.

gasdive

I had exactly the same issue with the Zero, mismatch with the DOTARS database. Held it up for a day or so, but Zero sorted it out.

I'm reminded of my mother's trip to India. After filling in several forms in triplicate and having them checked and stamped by no less than three seprate officials in 2 different buildings she received permission to take a ride on a bus... She asked them if the British had left them with all this red tape, to which the proud and delighted reply was "Memsahib, the British left us with much red tape but we have added much much more of our own!"

I have been thinking about going on a motorcycle trip overseas. I checked up about what is required to bring my own, registered in NSW, motorcycle back into NSW.

6. Is an Australian Identification Plate already fitted to the vehicle or are you returning a vehicle that was originally exported from Australia?
Part 8 on Application form

Any road vehicle, that is being imported into Australia must be covered by a valid import approval, a valid carnet or be subject to an intergovernmental agreement such as a Status of Forces Agreement before it may be cleared for entry into Australia by the Australian Customs Service.

There are many reasons that people take their Australian vehicle overseas, perhaps for a vacation, a particular event, to live overseas for a while or even to have work done on the vehicle. This section explains the different processes that may be followed to allow vehicles back in to Australia.
Vehicles fitted with an Australian Identification Plate that have not been modified before being re-imported to Australia

An Identification Plate (also known as a Compliance Plate) is fitted to a vehicle by the manufacturer to confirm that the vehicle complied with the applicable Australian Design Rules when it was first supplied to the market in Australia. Figure A shows what an identification plate looks like. Identification plates are normally fitted on the firewall on passenger cars and on the frame head on motorcycles however, some vehicles may have identification plates fitted in the door frame or in the luggage compartment. Older identification plates were made from stamped aluminium, modern plates are adhesive labels.

Vehicle Compliance Plate

Typical Motor Car and Truck Identification Plate

Motorbike Compliance Plate

Typical Motorcylce Identification Plate
Figure A

If your vehicle is fitted with an identification plate, an import approval may be able to be issued to allow you to import your vehicle. You must complete and submit the application at the end of this guide and provide the following information:

* a completed Application for Approval to Import a Vehicle;
* the application fee $50.00 Australian Dollars by cheque, Money Order, or credit card (MasterCard or Visa only) if paying by cheque from overseas, seek advice from your bank on the correct process;
* Details of the plate, including a photograph showing:
o Vehicle Make
o Vehicle Model
o Date of Manufacture
o Vehicle Category
o Number of seats
o Identification Plate Approval Number
* Photographic identification by way of an Australian drivers licence or picture page of a passport of the person making the application or, for a company, the responsible officer if you have not submitted an application to import a vehicle within the last 12 months you will need to provide photographic identification again

Wow, only $50 for all that red tape, what value for money!

Jason

Aircon

Well, the first time an RTA troll decided that despite my having the receipt with me, I must have stolen it and she had better call the Police. They wouldn't tell me anything other than "call the person you bought it from". 2nd time with a different RTA who were much more helpful and less paranoid they suggested the most likely problem was a typo when the VIN was being registered with DOTARS. The gentleman at the RTA even called Vectrix Australia (whom I bought the bike from), and gave them very precise instructions about how to fix the problem, however, as the months passed it was to no avail. Vectrix emailed me a few times telling me the problem was sorted out, however, whenever I went to the RTA they said it was not.

I don't think I would have let Charles off the hook quite that easily.

belrose

Well getting hold of him is quite an art. It took 6 months for him to reply to my emails and I don't think I ever managed to get him on the phone. I did get an email from James saying he would replace the Vectrix with another but it never happened, despite us ironing out the details. The Victorian department of Justice mediated for a while and advised me to pursue legal action, but in trying to gather the required information to serve papers on Vectrix I came across some info on the owner which quite put me off: http://www.theage.com.au/national/solicitor-banned-for-aiding-trafficker-20080920-4knd.html or google Xavier David Holden sometime. This is the bloke who apparently muscled Charles and the other directors out.

gasdive

My understanding is that the issue with vicroads and rta not registering without it being on the DOTARS database has no legal standing, it's procedural only. I think Marcopolo might be able to shed some light on this as he's familiar with vectrix, dotars and the law. Perhaps a PM to him?

Jason

gasdive

actually, on second thoughts,

I'd call the NSW ombudsman. You've bought a vehicle, you can prove the you paid for it, it's not stolen. The RTA is refusing to register it because of an issue with their database, not for any actual cause. I personally can't find anything in the legislation that requires them to follow this process. They provide free legal service and advocacy. Well it's not actually free, but the department you're complaining about foots the bill. It can't hurt, give them a call, you're thousands out of pocket if you can't use the bike you paid for and it's not your fault.

http://www.ombo.nsw.gov.au/complaints/publicsecagencies.html

Jason

belrose

Thank you for all that information. I will have another chat with the RTA and put forward your information and if they can't help, I'll talk to the Ombudsman (assuming that Steve from the UK is able to help me get the bike functioning - no point having a registered but un-ride-able bike).

Aircon

Well getting hold of him is quite an art. It took 6 months for him to reply to my emails and I don't think I ever managed to get him on the phone. I did get an email from James saying he would replace the Vectrix with another but it never happened, despite us ironing out the details. The Victorian department of Justice mediated for a while and advised me to pursue legal action, but in trying to gather the required information to serve papers on Vectrix I came across some info on the owner which quite put me off: http://www.theage.com.au/national/solicitor-banned-for-aiding-trafficker-20080920-4knd.html or google Xavier David Holden sometime. This is the bloke who apparently muscled Charles and the other directors out.

wait...did you buy it from Vectrix Australia or Charles after Vectrix folded?

If V Aus, then I guess I can understand Charles' reluctance, but otherwise I'd be surprised as I've found him responsive.

Mik
Mik's picture

Thank you for all that information. I will have another chat with the RTA and put forward your information and if they can't help, I'll talk to the Ombudsman (assuming that Steve from the UK is able to help me get the bike functioning - no point having a registered but un-ride-able bike).

Steve would need mighty long cables to fix your bike from the UK....

What you will need is a 150V DC power supply to re-awaken the battery, and maybe software and CAN-adapter to update the bikes firmware, depending on how long it has been standing unused.

Go very easy on the batteries for the first few cycles until they recover their capacity.

I would probably charge the battery at 0.3A for almost a week for the first charge, then ride very gently for maybe 10km before using the on-board charger for the first time. Several more gentle EQ charges could be useful to fully re-awaken the battery.

Some Ni-MH batteries are remarkably resilient, reportedly even like deep discharges to 0V.

You can possibly ruin the battery by demanding high power and high capacity before all cells have had time to slowly re-awaken. The weaker cells can get damaged severely by either reverse charging or by high current over-charging by the stock charger.

Any decent EV repair shop should be able to help you out with this, there surely must be one in Sydney by now?

belrose

I bought the bike from Vectrix Australia when Paul Dawson was still working there, I guess prior to Xmas 2008. I did speak to Charles on the phone well after V AU folded and he was sympathetic at that time, but powerless.

The batteries weren't working prior to the charger dying, I had been on ~20-30km range for ages. Steve is going to speak to the people in Poland re warranty repairs I believe, rather than fix it himself, as I'm not a UK customer. I presume either V Poland will pay for the repairs to be done (as the bike failed well within warranty period, with multiple issues), or if not, then they supply parts and I pay to have them installed. There were just so many issues with this one, I think the list of parts required will be long.

Thank you for the recommended reactivation protocol - I will file that away for the appropriate time.

Mik
Mik's picture

Thank you for the recommended reactivation protocol - I will file that away for the appropriate time.

Sorry, but I was working on the wrong assumptions here!

I thought that the bike was practically unused and in full working order, because it had never been registered. If the bike had multiple severe issues as you say, then the trickle charging alone will of course not fix it.

Broken charger and damaged battery is probably too much to fix, unless you do a Lithium conversion including new charger. Matt is using a different charger, but it seems that this is not going to be a "plug and play" scenario.

antiscab

Vectrix's have been around in Australia long enough for people to have crashed a few.
which means there are second hand chargers floating about.

A brand new one is 360E IIRC, so thats an option.

I have a Vectrix Lithium conversion kit ready for an Australian Customer (including batteries) as someone pulled out from the conversion workshop.

you will still need to be either willing to work on the bike yourself, or find someone else willing.

see PM for contact details of your local AEVA branch.

Matt

Daily Ride:
2007 Vectrix, modified with 42 x Thundersky 60Ah in July 2010. Done 194'000km

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage