In Singapore: Unapproved motorised bicycle users receive summonses

1 post / 0 new
reikiman
reikiman's picture
In Singapore: Unapproved motorised bicycle users receive summonses

Maybe someone who knows a thing or two about Singapore can explain this. The article says the Singapore police are cracking down on "unapproved motorised bicycles" that "do not meet safety standards". It goes on to claim such bicycles endanger others. The penalty is "fined up to S$1,000, or jailed for up to three months for the first offence". They explain that legal bicycles have motors up to 200 watts and a control system that cuts the motor once the rider gets to 25 km/h

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1014537/1/.html

Hurm.. I visited Singapore in Feb 2002 and among the few things I remember is they have a congestion charge system. The taxi driver who drove us to the Jurong Bird Park explained this box on his dashboard, that every car had a limited number of days they could drive in the city center, and that there were fees/fines if they didn't obey. Seems to me e-bicycles should be encouraged to reduce traffic congestion in a city that's already concerned about traffic congestion. Especially in a place as small as is Singapore. An electric bicycle should be perfect there.

But it is a good idea to have standards and safety requirements. Maybe this has to do with safety? The power limits are pretty harsh though.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage