Super Conductors?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Tupo
Super Conductors?

I have wonderd why noone has used super conductors for there desighn of EV's. It seems to me that with the super conductors avalable now that they could be easly be used for a EV. Ether as a motor or in a coil fashion to increase the range of any EV. I was just wondering why this technology hasnt been considerd for any EV's.

Mik
Mik's picture
Re: Super Conductors?

Maybe the handlebars get too cold??? HAHA!

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

marylandbob

To remain superconducting, present materials require cooling to cryogenic temperatures. Equipment needed to maintain this cold temperature is expensive and bulky. Even with it, range is only likely to be about 10% better, as present motors are very efficient.-(If your motor was 100% efficient, with no energy lost to such power-robbing outlets as bearing friction, air drag, vibration, heat, or noise, you would generate 10 horsepower for every 7,460 watts supplied to it.)-Bob

Robert M. Curry

reikiman
reikiman's picture

Do you know of any room temperature superconductor outside of science fiction?

e.g. I wrote a blog post about Tres Amigas Project in New Mexico promises more renewable energy through better electrical grid connectivity last month - it's a massive electric power exchange project which uses a grid of superconducting electric cables and switches to connect the three portions of the U.S. power grid. The cables look like the following and definitely are cryogenically cooled

strawhistle

tupo, are you talking about super conductors , or the super cappasitors that are starting to come out? cappasiters would store a DC charge and discharge thier energy when the voltage drops under load that would work to support the battery during accelleration LaTeR

thank GOD I wake up above ground !!!!

marylandbob

I believe that "OHMIC" losses, or losses due to resistance, are generally very small on modern E.V. powertrains, and much bigger losses come from bearing friction, vibration, wheel/tire rolling resistance, and aerodynamic drag. Having a "superconducting motor" would only give a relatively small gain, as motors that are 80 to 90 percent efficient are readily available, and it requires energy/adds mass to keep a conductor cooled to the superconducting point.-Bob

Robert M. Curry

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage