Electric motor

1 reply [Last post]
jan041992

I need some help deciding on a motor to use on my electric go-kart.I really need this because I'm doing this for my high school senior project. I would like to use a 12 or 24v motor but the specs showing watts confuses me. Will someone help me? What will be the best one to use?

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
marylandbob
Re: Electric motor

Using a higher voltage motor is highly advisable! What you need is HORSEPOWER, and if none of the electric power is wasted, (100% Efficient motor and wiring+controller) it will require 2,238 watts of electricity to make just 3 horsepower! Realistically, things are NOT "100% efficient" so you could easily need 3,000 watts to generate 3 horsepower. Getting 3,000 watts from a 12 volt battery would result in currents around 300 amperes, but doing the same thing with 48 volts would require currents around 75 amperes, which is much easier to handle! I used the "3 horsepower" figure as a starting point, as this represents the power available from a typical small, "Lawn mower" type gasoline engine, as found on small, cheap go-karts. If more "Sporting" type performance is desired, consider using 72 volts or more, with something like an "ETECK" electric motor, and a 400 ampere controller.-This can provide 15 to 20 horsepower!Battery selection is very important, due to the high rate of discharge and high currents drawn. Lithium Polymer or Lithium Iron/Phosphate batteries are to be desired in such applications, as automobile/boat type "Lead-Acid" batteries are too big/heavy/short-lived in such usage.-NO, it will not be CHEAP, unless you can get donations!-Bob

Robert M. Curry

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Customize This