New lithium-iron-phosphate battery system from Flux Power

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
reikiman
reikiman's picture
New lithium-iron-phosphate battery system from Flux Power

A side story to "Aptera managment shakeup, maybe" is that the Aptera founder is also the CEO of Flux Power. Flux Power is getting ready to sell a prepackaged lithium-iron-phosphate (LiFePO4) battery system and yesterday announced its availability and specs.

http://earth2tech.com/2009/11/21/flux-power-flexes-its-first-battery-module-charging-system/

http://www.cnbc.com/id/34053881

http://www.fluxpwr.com

Their product is 12v 200ah battery modules. Inside each are four LiFePO4 cells and an integrated battery management system (BMS). The press release says it uses a CANBUS to communicate data back to the charger. It says the BMS in each battery records full history of each battery, voltages, charge or discharge rates, temperature, etc.

The spec sheet implies they support discharge rates up to 1000A and temperature ranges from -45C to 55C. I believe they also claim 8000 charge cycles.

The site doesn't list dealers but says there will be a list of dealers as soon as they make their announcement in November. They've made their announcement (yesterday) ..so..

Of course some things like price or whether individuals can buy the batteries are not known. In any case it looks pretty darned interesting.

FLUX_Battery_1.jpg

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture
Re: New lithium-iron-phosphate battery system from Flux Power

In any case it looks pretty darned interesting.

Yes, it does sound great. It sounds expensive too. Do you know a price yet?

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

reikiman
reikiman's picture

No, they haven't replied to my query yet. I did publish my article: Flux Power introduces a lithium battery system for electric vehicles and energy storage uses

Themotorman
Themotorman's picture

No, they haven't replied to my query yet. I did publish my article: Flux Power introduces a lithium battery system for electric vehicles and energy storage uses

What use is a 12 volt 200 Ah pack? Looks more like a replacement gascar battery to me but might be very good for an RV or golf carts though.
Just because they put it in a pretty box does not mean that the stuff inside is any better. It very easy to make a BMS for 4 cells but not so easy when you need a 400 volt pack like I do. I am looking for some tests that have been done to compare large assemblies of prismatic large cells and the multiparallel cyclindrical packs. My gut feeling is that less total cells is going to be a better solution, although the larger cells are really only small cells connected internally . With prismatic cells they can use larger "plates" but this means that the impedance is going to be higher , 'cause you cannot access the middle of a plate for electrical connections. The cylindrical wound cells can connect all along the edges of the plates so have a better impedance and also a more rugged construction due to natural compression by being wound. Like the Optima Pb-acid cells. Still this is just conjecture from someone who has a love hate relationship with batteries. May be I should start a new post on battery selection?? What do you think?

building the future... one crappy Lipo at a time!!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage