Getting 2008 software for a 2007 vectrix?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
reikiman
reikiman's picture
Getting 2008 software for a 2007 vectrix?

What would be the legitimate way of getting 2008 software installed in a 2007 Vectrix bought off eBay?

I see a lot of 2007 Vectrix's available (Vectrii? what's the plural of Vectrix?) on eBay but so far as I know the 2008 software is better. Right? But with no dealer network it doesn't seem possible to get the upgrade.

I looked in the handbook (great job Mik) but didn't find anything.

Wildfire
Re: Getting 2008 software for a 2007 vectrix?

My bike was an ebay find and I was able to get it updated at the local Vespa dealer (formerly a Vectrix dealer). It cost me a couple of hours of shop time, but I believe this included the necessary run-down/charge-up after the programming.

Mik
Mik's picture

What would be the legitimate way of getting 2008 software installed in a 2007 Vectrix bought off eBay?

I see a lot of 2007 Vectrix's available (Vectrii? what's the plural of Vectrix?) on eBay but so far as I know the 2008 software is better. Right? But with no dealer network it doesn't seem possible to get the upgrade.

I looked in the handbook (great job Mik) but didn't find anything.

The handbook needs to remain strictly concerned with legal ways of dealing with a Vectrix, otherwise we risk it being shut down one day.

Any perceived breach of copyright could cause trouble!

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

RaDy
RaDy's picture

Mik, why not create a second separate "risk handbook" which would contain all matter which might not be totally legal.

HarryS

Mik:
with all due respect, we have been abandoned! Most of us have made $10,000 investment under the assumption that our local dealer would fix problems and that we will have parts available as needed. Instead, any small failure of a bike, such as a broken charger, fuse or a single cell in once battery ruins that $10,000 investment. Not to speak of failed delivery on warranty, or the missing accesories like the center stand. So as far as I am concerned, the company has lost its right to prevent sharing of copyrighted materials since the cmpany Vectrix no longer exists, just as our many dealers here in the US who are mad as hell over the losses they incurred! Instead, we as users deserve access to the technical know how, software, handbook, etc as needed, and we have to work together to accomplish that. We are simply trying to protect our investment.

reikiman
reikiman's picture

Mik:
with all due respect, we have been abandoned! Most of us have made $10,000 investment under the assumption that our local dealer would fix problems and that we will have parts available as needed. Instead, any small failure of a bike, such as a broken charger, fuse or a single cell in once battery ruins that $10,000 investment. Not to speak of failed delivery on warranty, or the missing accessories like the center stand. So as far as I am concerned, the company has lost its right to prevent sharing of copyrighted materials since the company Vectrix no longer exists, just as our many dealers here in the US who are mad as hell over the losses they incurred! Instead, we as users deserve access to the technical know how, software, handbook, etc as needed, and we have to work together to accomplish that. We are simply trying to protect our investment.

Harry, that is not an entirely accurate statement of the situation. The corporate entity formerly known as Vectrix does exist, it's now called Electric Scooter Winddown Corporation (or something like that) and is in the process of selling its assets to New Vectrix presumably to be renamed to Vectrix sometime in the not too distant future.

The assets would of course include IP stuff like ownership rights of the embedded software in the bike, diagnostic software, etc.

I totally agree the situation isn't the best for Vectrix owners. Which is possibly why I asked the question - if someone were to buy a 2007 Vectrix off eBay thinking they're getting a bargain, what's the potential for getting support etc. Or is their total possibility of getting support in a pseudo-backroom deal run by former dealers or former service techs with access to the software ...

Probably the only route Vectrix owners have to service their bikes is specifically this kind of deal. Hm, there is precedent for this in other products such as the Amiga computer. Despite Commodore corporation having stopped selling machines in the 80's the corporate name existed for a long time and attempted several resurrections. Additionally there is even now service shops repairing Amiga's and selling Amiga apps.

Mik, while I agree you're right to be nervous over tresspassing IP ownership issues with the technology - I do think it's worthwhile having something in the Vectrix handbook discussing practical issues on getting service today.

I'm guessing there isn't real clarity over whether e.g. a former service tech who kept a copy of the service software can still legitimately use that software ?? It seems this could quickly get into the realm of legal advice and few of us are lawyers who are properly certified to give legal advice, right?

HarryS

While you may be right concerning second hand bikes bought off EBAY (to users knowing that the company no longer exists and the warranty is void) I am talking about people like me who have spend $10,000 for a bike from a local dealer promising a 2 year warranty and a lifetime of service. They are no longer doing so. In fact some of them are very upset even angry. So where does that leave us? I propose that it leaves us helping each other as best as we can and sme of you out there, including Mik know a lot about this bike. Thank you for all your posts! Keep them coming!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage