My vectrix does not like the cold

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
undead
My vectrix does not like the cold

-2c this morning

Rear brake switch iced over, so perminant brake light if i didnt make the conciious effort to pull the lever out.

Right hand indicators failing to work

Real trouble getting into "GO" (probably due to brake light switch)

Rubbish accelleration and pulling away

Dontcha just love winter ;)

sparker
Re: My vectrix does not like the cold

Had a bit of trouble with mine too. -4 where I live. I went to check the batt temp using the kill switch, which didn't work and I then couldn't get the GO light to come on for about 5 minutes. The ready light flashed and then went off completely while I was holding the brake levers in. It did eventually come on though. I've just had my slightly overdue annual service with Steve Scott as well - shame it's not this week as I could have asked him to check them out. I've noticed no performance degradation though, once started it rode like normal. At least it's not raining. A couple of weeks I rode through about 8 inches of water - one of those 'I didn't realise it was THAT deep moments' - no ill effects though.

undead

I have a feeling that its simply wwater getting into the brake switches - I will be off to buy some water dispersant this lunchtime!

R
R's picture

+3 C in Barcelona. What voltages do you get at discharge cut off (red battery light) and at the end of cc recharge?

X Vectrix

Remember, at these temps you will not get good performance out of the batteries. You will not be able to draw nearly the current you are used to. The other result of this is that the battery light will come on sooner since the voltage will drop more than when the batts are warm. Best to avoid hard accelerations when this cold.

oobflyer
oobflyer's picture

I guess I've been lucky? It's been -2C, or -3C and I've had absolutely no problem whatsoever, my bike is running perfectly. I haven't noticed any range degradation either.

I wonder if everyone keeps their bike garaged? Mine is in the garage at night.

R
R's picture

I guess I've been lucky? It's been -2C, or -3C and I've had absolutely no problem

Very easy to know... At what temperature is the battery when you ride?
RaDy
RaDy's picture

I keep my bike garaged, in barcelona its 3ºc and i havent noticed any loss in range whilst going to work, but when at work i park my Vec in the street and when its time to go home, my batt temp is at around 12º and then i do notice a difference in performance and range! nothing worrying(for me)but at least 20% of the range. Using regen helps in warming them up but hard accelerating seems to drain the batt very very fast.

turok
turok's picture

I do not keep my bike garaged, and was surprised by a big freezenight 2 -3 days ago (must have gone below -5C maybe colder).

-first, the "hump" of my seat (where your lower back leans against) was frozen rock hard. must be leaking some water in there (or sucking up from below?)..
-then the keyhole was frozen shut, had to warm the key between my lips (:-)) several times before it got in, and several times more before I could turn the key.
-no way to open the trunk, think the steel cable froze in its mantle.
-the rear brake felt like the brake fluid got sturdier, reacting slow.
-performance, with 13 bars available, felt like the last 2-3 bars, it clearly lacked the voltage (thus couldn't provide the amps). After a few kms though, it comes back to life(I think due to the internal cell resistance warming themselves up).
-dramatic drop in range, also going back up after few kms
-I felt really cold when I finally got at work:-) but I must say that I enjoy the windscreen and the fact that our feet are out of the wind now.

hmm.. I hoped it would drive me through the winter, but it might be a little more complicated if the weather goes/stays cold.

"doing nothin = doing nothing wrong" is invalid when the subject is environment

AndY1
AndY1's picture

I have my Vectrix garaged. The lowest battery temperature, I've still driven the bike, was 8°C, the lowest outside temperature was -2°C - in the morning. Right now, it's -7°C outside and my dear Vectrix is parked in the 2nd floor of underground garage and it will stay there until it's at least 0°C in the morning. Until then, I will give the bike a monthly full charge and a drive around the garage, to exercise the tires.

I have notice, when it was cold outside, that the gear became louder at 30km/h than when it's above 10°C outside. Is that normal?

undead

I would guess the gear oil becomes more viscous at that temperature, and would take a while to heat up causing more noise? Someone far more educated on these matters than me will be along in a few moments to correct me!

As for this morning, after spraying copious amounts of WD40 (the magical spray!) into the brack switch area and into the lock, and the indicator switch area - this morning all started fine and all systems functional - so I guess water ingress is a big problem with these bikes on the auxillery functions - my piaggio x9 does not have the same issues.

Performance noticably poorer than usual, however the pack was reading 2c this morning so not riding hard because of it, and the fact there is small amounts of black ice on the roads.

Mik
Mik's picture

Does the new software still run the cooling impellers during charging, no matter what?

If so, spoil it's attempt at making life hard for you and your battery by blocking the air inlets during charging!

Otherwise it will freeze the bottom layer of cells and cause problems due to lack of power and due to temperature gradients within the battery, resulting in damage.

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage