Steorn's Orbo Technology - EV power source?

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
nutella
Steorn's Orbo Technology - EV power source?

A company named Steorn has came up with an interesting motor/generator. They have posted a video to Youtube demonstrating how their electric motor does not experience an increase in current or voltage under load. It's a pretty cool video. Who knows if their claims are all true, but their motor seems to be different than anything I have ever heard about. It uses toroids as stators!

Introduction to an Orbo Electromagnetic Interaction - Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5nae_I_Mus

What do all of you think?

davew
davew's picture
Re: Steorn's Orbo Technology - EV power source?

It's a scam to bilk gullible investors out of some venture capital. Usually when people claim to be generating energy from nothing you can leave open the possibilities that they are self-deluded or mentally ill. The Steorn people have been at it for so long and raise so much money, however, that a confidence game is the most likely explanation.

What has been known for centuries is that permanent magnets aren't permanent. They loose strength slowly. If you force two magnet's fields into opposition you can harvest a little of this energy. You can't get much, but it's enough to make something on good bearings spin for a while. It's not "over unity" and it's not "energy from space". It's energy from magnets and sooner or later you have to replace them or your spinning thing stops. My guess is, unless it is a complete hoax, the Stoern machine is using this principle. Countless hucksters before them certainly have.

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"

nutella

Why are you not commenting on the one strange thing in that video?

It is odd that regardless of the speed of the system the current/voltage traces remain the same. They should be changing.

At high speed you have more back EMF. At low speed you have less back EMF. This should make the trace change. However, it does not.

Their demo is starting up again this week. I wonder what additional videos they may post.

amberwolf
amberwolf's picture

If the trace is not changing, perhaps it is not actually coming from the device? ;)

--
Michael Elliott
Cybernetic Necromancers, Discorporated
Phoenix, AZ
Watch me build an electric-assisted recumbent bike from recycled junk:
http://electricle.blogspot.com

dp

I am cautious.

If its real, build a substantial engine, hook it up to something and do some real work.

If this effect is important, it should produce some meassurable results that exceed current engines.

RedKing73

They're an Irish-based company.

Embarrassingly, they had a huge media event in London that backfired on them; about a year ago? and they went VERY quiet after that. I will follow this discussion with interest.

davew
davew's picture

Why are you not commenting on the one strange thing in that video?

Because you can't tell anything from a video. The only way a device like this can be evaluated is hands-on with people who are experts in the field.

nutella

This is pretty neat.

Steorn has done another "talk" about their technology.

Steorn's Orbo Electromagnetic Interaction COP is greater than 1. Part 1 of 5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzcZDr1AcEU

Mik
Mik's picture

Nutella,

your blatant ads for this ripoff "technology" should be banned from here.

You signed up only to cause traffic to the misleading websites you are mentioning.

Get lost, please, with sugar on top!

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

marylandbob

As I see it, the demonstration proves nothing of value. If the device were to demonstrate the actual POWER going INTO it was substantially less than the power taken OUT of it, there would be something to talk about! If you have a device that takes 100 watts to operate, and you take 20 watts of power out of it, while the input remains at 100 watts, all you have done is reduced how much power is being WASTED, you have created ZERO watts of power!-On the other hand, if you could take 200 watts out of the device, with an input of only 100 watts, I might be very interested!(Perhaps what he has demonstrated is the magnetomotive equivalent of the electronic "Shunt Regulator", a circuit whose D.C. input power stays nearly constant, with applicattion or removal of the output load--The INPUT POWER is always greater than the OUTPUT POWER in such a circuit, however.)-Bob Curry

Robert M. Curry

davew
davew's picture

There is nothing in the terms of service about having to be correct or even plausible. By allowing this pseudo-science to remain we can talk about exactly why it is rubbish and help teach others to spot it.

Mik
Mik's picture

There is nothing in the terms of service about having to be correct or even plausible. My allowing this pseudo-science to remain we can talk about exactly why it is rubbish and help teach others to spot it.

I agree!

Got a bit carried away there...

But it seems obvious to me that this "I found something interesting.." kind of post is a thinly disguised advertisement, written by someone who did not find that website, but probably wrote it! Or is at least being paid for posting similar ads in probably multiple forums.

The motivating force behind it all seems to be finding gullible investors, and then part them from their money.

Nutella, are you associated with the "Orb" promoters somehow, and are you getting paid to post here?

Have you posted the same (or very similar) kind of post on other forums?

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

davew
davew's picture

Or is at least being paid for posting similar ads in probably multiple forums.

Interesting thought. I checked it out. The same text doesn't appear anywhere else, but similar posts have popped up here and there. If it's one guy he's rephrasing the post every time. The common trait is the poster doesn't hang around for discussion. Good thing too because his reception here is downright welcoming in comparison.

marcopolo

Got a bit carried away there...

But it seems obvious to me that this "I found something interesting.." kind of post is a thinly disguised advertisement, written by someone who did not find that website, but probably wrote it! Or is at least being paid for posting similar ads in probably multiple forums.

The motivating force behind it all seems to be finding gullible investors, and then part them from their money.

Nutella, are you associated with the "Orb" promoters somehow, and are you getting paid to post here

Very interesting point indeed! This kind of snake oil drummer is usually found on other forums, with less technically qualified readers. I assume the theory is that if you post enough posts and U tube sites, then a lazy member of the mainstream press will pick it up, without analysing the merit, and Bingo! world wide publicity. From such huge exposure, enough gullible believers can be found to make it very profitable for the promoter.

Keep up the good debunking work, Mik.

marcopolo

marylandbob

Nothing NEW or unusual, as I see it! Make your OWN display, by simply setting up a 1,500 watt halogen floodlight, and a 10 watt solar panel. focus the light on the panel, and easily demonstrate that the power into the 1,500 watt light does not change when power is generated by, and taken from, the solar panel which is illuminated by the light!-Bob Curry

Robert M. Curry

nutella

Steorn's final demo at the Waterway Centre has taken place. It has been posted to Youtube.

Steorn Orbo - Proving Overunity 1/2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4Q3Klq5dxM

Steorn Orbo - Proving Overunity 2/2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7i7P63IByY

They claim to have "proven" OU.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76