Feasability of using a generator to recharge batteries on the go....

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
sixpax2k9
Feasability of using a generator to recharge batteries on the go....

What is the feasability of using a small generator on a trailer to constantly charge the battery pack via a charger? Would one of the smaller generators used to charge a 60V charger plugged in to your xb600 etc work? It would help to stay depletion while riding and at stoplights etc. charge while at rest.... I bring this up because for some occasions 20 miles is just not enough, yet I cannot legally drive anything else. If rode properly would this not greatly increase its range to almost as far as the gas in the generator could go? Of course you could always refuel it. I would doubt that this indirect use of gas would make it considered an ICE etc.

I just want to know what you all think......

Mik
Mik's picture
Re: Feasability of using a generator to recharge batteries ...

This concept is called a "series hybrid". Or, in your case, rather a "Plug-in series hybrid".

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

sam_uk

---Disclaimer--- I am a total newbie to this

I did do a bit of research around this.

The lightest generator I could find was the http://www.offmains.co.uk/used_generator/used_ex350.html at 8.5kg

mf70

As long as you are not kidding yourself that you actually are driving an EV. Your series hybrid would have about he same emissions as an SUV, since the small generators are not emissions limited.

For the cost of the trailer/generator setup, you could buy yourself a lot of taxi rides...

Buzzer
Buzzer's picture

If you need extended range, why not just buy an extra battery pack and set it on the floorboard? When the first battery pack runs down, just swap them out. Strap the extra one in place, if you need to. This seems like it would be the quickest and simplest solution.

Buzzer

There are three kinds of people: Those who make things happen, those who watch things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage