Vectrix using London's Juicepoints from Elektromotive

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
tom5007
Vectrix using London's Juicepoints from Elektromotive

Anyone here share the same issues I have charging my Vectrix using elektromotives juicepoints here in London? Problem is that depending charging state or battery temperature charging is being interupted by the Juicepoint. I think it has to do with the way Vectrix charges the battery and assume that the Juicepoint switches off the charging current during one of the many "idle" states of the Vectrix charging procedure.
Many times I returned to my bike and discoverd that despite being plugged in for hours the batteries where charged only for about 30mins. The Juicepoint turns from green to blue.

Certainly the bike is charging normal on any other socket so I want to rule out a malfunction of the bike or cable.

Anyone here has similar issues in Lodon?

kevin smith
kevin smith's picture
Re: Vectrix using London's Juicepoints from Elektromotive

sound's to me that the vectrix needs new sortware up date to rectify this .
i think you all no about my feeling about the wasted use of electric when vectrix is charged up and no yep
no shut down to a complete zero use of electric but trickles lot of wasted electric when not in use hope we can resolve this ..
kev

antiscab

so tom,

does the vectrix recharge all the bars in this time? or does the CP stage not complete?

interesting that the juice point would shut down during the CP stage, since it doesn't stop pulling mains current unless the pack gets hot (at least in my experience).

Matt

Daily Ride:
2007 Vectrix, modified with 42 x Thundersky 60Ah in July 2010. Done 194'000km

tom5007

so tom,

does the vectrix recharge all the bars in this time? or does the CP stage not complete?

interesting that the juice point would shut down during the CP stage, since it doesn't stop pulling mains current unless the pack gets hot (at least in my experience).

Matt

Matt, I am not sure at which stage the process is interrupted but the bike is only charged for one or two bars and another five or six bars are missing to be fully charged. The odd thing is that the juicepoint is back to blue, which means it is idle waiting for the next customer. I usually plug in with batteries half full. Temperature seems not to be the issues its fairly cold here and the batteries hardly reach more than 12degrees.

Very odd...

Buzby
Buzby's picture

This is a problem with the Electromotive pillar. NOT Vectrix. The problem was identified last year and reported to Electrobay, who investigated further. The bays have a safety feature which checks the consumption at the same time the Vectrix BMS was doing exactly the same thing, resulting the the pillar assuming there was a fault condition, and discontinuing the charge (changing the pillar colour top from red to blue.

The fix is appled to the software in the pillar - and it needs to be reported to them. I think they referred to it as the 'Vectrix fix' but as it requires a site visit, it is only done when someone compains.

- Raymond

tom5007

This is a problem with the Electromotive pillar. NOT Vectrix. The problem was identified last year and reported to Electrobay, who investigated further. The bays have a safety feature which checks the consumption at the same time the Vectrix BMS was doing exactly the same thing, resulting the the pillar assuming there was a fault condition, and discontinuing the charge (changing the pillar colour top from red to blue.

The fix is appled to the software in the pillar - and it needs to be reported to them. I think they referred to it as the 'Vectrix fix' but as it requires a site visit, it is only done when someone compains.

Thanks Buzby,

Excellent, I will contact Elektromotive and report the locations I have had issues with. The code word is "Vectrix fix". Let's see how Elektromotive's mid term memory performs.

Cheers

Buzby
Buzby's picture

I deal with them initialy by email, then by phone as the problem was repeatable at both (recently installed) pillars at the Braehead Shopping Cenre in Renfrewshire. The pillar would initiate the charging sequence (for around 40 seconds, but the LCD display - whose bottom line shows incrementing black blocks confirming charging is taking place - didn't. At 41 seconds the LCD changed to 'Resetting', and the juice stopped flowing.

Once the engineer called at the site to wave his magic spanner, there was no furtherissues and I've been using them successfully for over a year without any problems (and no VX1 mods required). From my email exchanges, it appeared that the piller and VX1 had 'intelligent' safety features, and they were reacting with each other. When originally designed, it had been anticipated that connected devices (like the G-Wizz) which has a very rudumentary BMS would be protected by the pillar's electronics. I understood that all that was changes was pitting in a delay on the safety cut out. After 60 seconds or so, the VX1 is confident it has a safe supply and carris on charging. The pillers protection then cuts back in, but doesn;t cause any problems.

- Raymond

tom5007

From what you describe I seem to have a different issue. When I plug in my V it initiates charging fine. I usually plug in first and then start to take my helmet off, disc lock on ... So I usually stay at the bike for 3-5mins after plug. The charging process by then is well under way. The bars on the bottom of the juicepoint display are increasing all seem fine. I guess disaster strikes after about 30mins or so when the charging process stops for whatever reason.

Buzby
Buzby's picture

Timing is important - stopwatch it, from the time it changes from blue, and how long it stayss at green. IF it is 30 minutes (or a facotr of this) it is very possible there is an internal timer at work, limiting the use to keep the pole clear for more customers (but you can see the flaw in this idea anyway, as if you're not there, nobody can unplug you). I'm assuming at home it charges for as long as you have it in, or until the cycle is complete?

- Raymond

Buzby
Buzby's picture

Duplicate

- Raymond

tom5007

At home it charges as long as it takes to get full bars. The tricky point with the juicepoint turning blue is that it then allows anyone else releasing my plug with their key. Remember, a blue juicepoint signals, hey e-driver I am free plug yourself in. The odd thing is when I return to the blue juicepoint and want to release the plug the juicepoints flap opens ad turns red, blocking me from using the juicepoints for immediate return. All very unfortunate as I cant rely on juicepoints to give me charge for my 18miles trip home.

Buzby
Buzby's picture

There's something not right here!

When your charging cycle ends prematurely, the socket cover remains locked - NOBODY can remove your plug until you use the RF key to release the socket cover. You are right the pillar color shows its available (when it isn't) but they still cannot use their RF key to start their own charging cycle until you've 'logged out'. My local points only turn red for seconds 2-5 at most, so it must be a bespoke configuration issue. Whad did Electromotive say?

- Raymond

tom5007

>>> When your charging cycle ends prematurely, the socket cover remains locked - NOBODY can remove your plug until you use the RF key to release the socket cover.

The cover is still locked but the jpoint turns blue and the display looks like the one of an idle jpoint. So I assumed that any other RF key would then be able to check in and open the latch with their RF key. I never tried as I have only one account :-)

What did elektromitve say, this was rather disappointing. They are very helpful on the phone and tell you that somebody what take care of it. I even got a call back from an engineer but a solution was never found. I kind of gave up thinking that somebody else in London must have the same issues and more people will complain.

kevin smith
kevin smith's picture

Hi all .
had a quick brain wave..

right all that needs to be done if the charger dock is only spouting out 30 mins at a time how rubbish well .
All that needs to be done is fit a 8 feet extension from the power station

Then other end into the boot pluged into the original bike
lead with a timer that kick in every 30 mins this is keped dry and away from prying eyes under the seat .

that way you get your cake and eat it..
kev

Buzby
Buzby's picture

You've never ussed these points Kev, have you?

You need to restart the supply by physically opening/closing the Electromotive cover that clamps your Vectri. A 'timer' of your own whether at the end of an extension lead or not will do absolutely nothing.

- Raymond

kevin smith
kevin smith's picture

well if my vectrix could make it to london 200 miles then i would of given them a go..

BUT i do belive the closest point to me in the way of these charging points ..
are around 70 miles ish away no can do at this moment untill i pull out my portable charging station ..??
soon to be seen on this webpag.????
kev

kevin smith
kevin smith's picture

well if my vectrix could make it to london 200 miles then i would of given them a go..

BUT i do belive the closest point to me in the way of these charging points ..
are around 70 miles ish away no can do at this moment untill i pull out my portable charging station ..??
soon to be seen on this webpage.????
kev

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage