Trek Bionx VS Regular Bionx

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
dgk
Trek Bionx VS Regular Bionx

I know the shape is different but is the Trek battery the same capacity as the PL350? According to a Trek video, the expected range is 15 - 45 km. Elsewhere, in the Q&A section, it says 20 - 70. The Bionx is supposed to be 39.6V and 10ah. I can't find anything specific about the Trek.

alan in tempe
Re: Trek Bionx VS Regular Bionx

BionX is now offering at least three different Li battery cases: the triangle we are all familiar with, a new slim/low profile triangle that is lighter with less capacity, and the rectangular case with the integrated tail light designed for a rear rack. Trek is using this rack design, but it is available from BionX directly (BionX new products).

-- Alan

cjr

My read on the Bionx specs is that the rear rack battery is the one they sell as an option with their PL250-HT, and has the same specs as the traditional PL350 battery.

Interesting that the HT variant of the PL250 motor seems to weight the same as the PL350 and have the same torque. Wonder if they rebranded the PL350 as a 250 watt "HT" motor (with appropriate control circuitry to maake it legal) to meet EU requirements?

Charlie
http://ElectricCyclist.com

Charlie

dgk

My read on the Bionx specs is that the rear rack battery is the one they sell as an option with their PL250-HT, and has the same specs as the traditional PL350 battery.

Interesting that the HT variant of the PL250 motor seems to weight the same as the PL350 and have the same torque. Wonder if they rebranded the PL350 as a 250 watt "HT" motor (with appropriate control circuitry to maake it legal) to meet EU requirements?

Charlie
http://ElectricCyclist.com

I see, you're referring to this page and the chart on the Technology page? So the Trek system likely has the rear rack battery and the 350 motor? Then I guess it's effectively the same as the PL350.

Jerry the Spinner
Jerry the Spinner's picture

I own a Trek FX + . According to the Trek users guide

Voltage = 40.7V

Capacity = 6.4Ah

Power = 250Wh

Bicycle Commuter from New York City.
Trek FX+

dgk

That stinks doesn't it? The regular Bionx battery is 10Ah, isn't it?

Jerry the Spinner

I agree! However I have not found a performance hit. I get 15 miles on Level 4 and 30 miles on level 3. I do know the motor is 350W. I will ask my Trek dealer to find out and get back to you.

Trek FX+

dgk

I'm still waiting for my Valencia but now I'm a bit worried. It seems better to just buy the kit. As it is, Bionx batteries are way too expensive. Getting less of a battery really bothers me.

But if you're getting 30 miles at level 3? That seems plenty good to me. I was only planning on using level 1 for most of my commute, if even that.

Jerry the Spinner

I am actually surprised your LBS does not have the Valencia in stock. Bicycle Habitat has currently has the Valencia available. I test rode it.

The issue also with the kit is the warranty. If you purchase it from Bionx it'll be one year for the battery. With the Trek bike, it is a 2 year warranty. From reading users on the forum, it seems to be an issue with the battery sometimes going within the first 15 months. It seems the replacement is about $1,300 - that is why I was concerned about going with the 1 year warranty.

Trek FX+

dgk

I'm stupidly loyal to my lbs. They ordered it for me and it will be April before it gets in. I should just cancel and get it from BH.

Jerry the Spinner

I'm stupidly loyal to my lbs. They ordered it for me and it will be April before it gets in. I should just cancel and get it from BH.

By the way Bicycle Habitat cost is 2400 and the MSRP 2519. You really should go down and try the bike out before you buy. They do have the FX+ and the Valencia+ in stock. I gurantee once you ride one you will not walk out the store without a bike.

Trek FX+

dgk

$150 cheaper at my LBS but I have to wait. Is it worth it? I can use the $150.

Anyway, any news on the battery? That really threw me. I thought it would be the same as the Bionx rack battery but seems to be missing quite a few cells. At least you say the motor is 350. I didn't buy a Giant because I thought the 250s were just too weak. Plus, I like Trek.

Jerry the Spinner

I have not heard back yet. As a side note I just wanted to mention when I go over the Williamsburg bridge or the 59 street bridge I am able to go up at 15MPH. Therefore, I do believe I am getting 350W to the motor or else I would not be able to get to 15MPH. On my Montague with a 450W motor I normally go up Williamsburg bridge or the 59 street bridge at 10MPH. When I go down I put it into regen mode level 2 or 3 which gets back most of the battery lost.

Trek FX+

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage