SOS...--.. ...--V ...-- Need some wiring advice...--- .. -- PLEASE HELP ---.. -- ...

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
AEROSTAR21
SOS...--.. ...--V ...-- Need some wiring advice...--- .. -- PLEASE HELP ---.. -- ...

Hi, I have been into scoots for awhile now and need a little help with wiring direct my lights and horn to a 12v 7ah battery I have fried 2 converters and I have a 60v battery system. One converter worked ok from EVParts until I added the other battery, just wasn't thinking 13.8v was only thinking 12v x 5=60. Then ordered a so called 72v converter from Thunderstruck and when I pulled the sticker back it had read the same as the 1st one I fried 30-60, but was lasered printed w/ 72v?; called and asked about it and was told don't worry it will work. I said if it fries I want my money back, he said yea no prob. I had it at a automotive electrician they hooked up and it fried...My delemia is I am out of work and can't afford any more burning of money I don't have and can't afford the $90.00 for a real 72v converter! I don't know what scooter I have it's not named! The wires going into the converter from the scooter are 1 red, 1 black and one green w/red strip. Then the converter was wired w/ 1 red, 1 black and one yellow. So here is my question: what the hell is the green w/ red stripe for? (My guess is the horn). Can someone please help me and tell me just how to wire this setup; (toggle + lights and horn to 12v 7ah battery) up correctly without fring anything else?
I would appreciate any help you can offer me here please!
Thanks a lot,
Steven

Johnny J
Johnny J's picture
Re: SOS...--.. ...--V ...-- Need some wiring advice...--- .. ...

On cheaper DC/DC converters you have a common ground.

So my guess is that the black is ground (-).
Red or Green/red ís either +60/72V or the supply for the 12V lights and horn.

What you can do is to measure the voltage between Black and either of the other 2 to locate the 60/72V battery voltage.
Ignition needs to be on problably.
Then you connect the 12V battery + to the other cable and the 12V - to the black ground.
To be safe you should put a fuse between the 12V battery and scooter wires before you connect it.

Regards

Johnny

AEROSTAR21

Thanks a lot Johnny J! I appreciate your help! As soon as I get the battery I will proceed with your suggestions.
Again Thanks a million,
Steven

AEROSTAR21

Hey Johnny,
I started thinking more about your advice and I do not want to use the ignition switch that's why I mentioned using a toggle and wiring direct to a seperate 12v 7ah battery. So I am not wanting to use any power from my 60v pack for the lights and horn and turning on the ignition would do just that I would think; and maybe I just don't understand, but it sounds like your suggesting I tie the 60v battery pack to the 12v pack, so how does the lights and horn being seperate fit into this equation?

Please reply soon I am looking to get this done this week.

Thanks a lot & Take Care,
Steven

Johnny J
Johnny J's picture

Hi!

Sorry, I might have been explaining badly (english is not my native language...).

No, you do not need the 60/72V from the scooter, turning the ignition on is just to locate which wire you shouldn´t connect the 12V+ to.
I presume you have taken away the broken DC/DC and now have 3 loose wires (or a connector) in the scooter.

Then I would guess it´s connected something like this:

Black = Common Ground (-60/72V and -12V for lights etc.)
Red = +12V input for lights etc. OR +60/72V battery power
Green w/red strip = +12V input for lights etc. OR +60/72V battery power

Measure the voltage with the ignition on between Black and Red, no voltage? Then these are the 2 wires you should connect your 12V to.
If you get 60/72V between these 2 wires, try measuring between Black and Green w/red strip and if there is no power there, use them.

Regards

Johnny

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage