Help with custom build please!!!!!!!

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
wackytomtom
Help with custom build please!!!!!!!

What i am trying to accomplish is to run a snowblower off of the front of my pickup truck. The blower is completely fabricated by myself, it is a dual stage unit that is 8 feet wide, the front auger's diameter is 13 inchs and the secondary auger measures 23 inches in diameter. The truck is a 2003 gmc 2500hd equiped with the duramax diesel and allison transmission. What i am having trouble with is powering my blower. I do NOT want to run a gasoline engine on the blower because that has been done before and i have done it before. I do not like how it performs. I have explored the options of running a pto off of my transmission but i dont have enough room, ive also explored using a hydraulic clutch pump running off of the trucks engine but i can not fine a large enough pump.

So what i am pondering now is running it electrically. I was thinking of using a electic motor off of a golf cart or something similar, using a 24,36, or 48 volt system, and putting an auxilary large output alternator (150-200 amp) on my truck to charge these batterys. I need the gearbox that is mounted on my snowblower to spin around 600 rpms and have around 150-200 foot pounds of torque. If anyone has any ideas or input about if this could be run electrically i would great apprciate it.

marylandbob
Re: Help with custom build please!!!!!!!

The ETEK brushed D.C. motor (Or similar brushless substitutes), geared down thru a 4:1 ratio reduction unit, and powered by 48 to 60 volts @ 200 to 400 amperes from four series connected 200 AH batteries might do it.(With a 300 amp 48 volt alternator, smaller batteries can be used) This will not be cheap! Actual current needed and drawn, will vary with speed and snow loading.-Faster speed, and/or heavier,wetter snow= more current! If you need variable speed, a 400 to 600 ampere motor controller will also be needed. D.C. cables should be at least #1 guage copper, bigger is better!--Bob Curry

Robert M. Curry

wackytomtom
Re: Help with custom build please!!!!!!!

Bob, Thanks for your feedback, what kinda figures would i be looking at for costs of the motor, the batteries, the alternator and other costs? Thanks again.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage