Wilderness48volt question?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Badger
Wilderness48volt question?

Can you step this kit up to 48 volts safely? How many amps will the Wilderness hub take without heating up?

JLGRAU
Re: Wilderness48volt question?

I have succesfully run my WE BD36 with 48v lifepo4 and 48 SLA. No problems yet, but I have not run it hard yet.
I'm sure that hub motor will get very hot after 2 miles of full throttle. Controller can also get hot.
However, If you ride around at half throttle, it should not be a problem. Use some judgment when riding.
Dogman, had magnets come loose in (in desert heat) with 36v pack. Also, there is no guarantee that controller
will handle 48v pack.
I have not had problem yet and my 48/20 lifepo4 pack charges up to 58 volts ++. SLA pack charges to 54 ++.
To be safe, let pack voltage settle down, then ride bike. I've read that the controller caps can handle 59 v.
If your going to use lifepo4 pack, it will have to be at least 20ah pack because the BD36 controller draws alot
of amps. A 15ah pack will cause battery pack to shut down. With SLA it doesn't matter.

Badger

So where did you get your batteries?

Badger

So where did you get your batteries?

JLGRAU

I got my 48/20 lifepo4 used from a guy on endless sphere. It had about 50 cycles. He got it on ebay for about $450. I paid $250 plus 20 shipping
I bought the SLA's 4x 12v 11ah brand new Powertron batts from an ebay vendor Pwrtrn. $100 total. you can get a 48v SLA charger for $25. total from ebay also.
the 4 Sla's should fit into a WE battery bag.
All the labor reuired is arranging the battery wiring in series and splicing or modifying the charger DC plug in.
lifepo4 is expensive especially since a BD36 requires a higher ah pack. I tried my 48/15 pack on it and the pack
BMS shuts it down. Typically, a lifepo4 battery charger comes with the pack.
Buying a lifepo4 pack f/ ebay is a bit risky because the vendors are usually out in China and returns are expensive etc. Buying a used one is obviously risky.
Less risky could be buying one from a U.S vendor, but you'll prob pay alot more$$

JLGRAU

I changed my mind. opened up hub and loked at brushes. After 300 miles, red positive brush is worn down to 1/3"
These were new brushes. The black side had 3/4" left. Also, the brush holder was melted/burnt a little.
My new conclusion: don't believe all the 48v BD36 hype. Perhaps it's ok to overvolt for a brief experiment.
But I did not run it hard and weigh 175#

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage