Winter Windshield comfort viewing

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
RaDy
RaDy's picture
Winter Windshield comfort viewing

I just recieved my winter windshield, better late than never.
I have been experiencing it for a week now and it really works for me. It reduces wind noise , wind impact on me (less cold air for me) and even helps with less cold air to handgrips,
My only concern is, while i ride im uncomfortable seeing through it and uncomfortable seeing over it. I dont know which of them is the correct way because my view sight is exactly in the border of the windshield, which is horrible. I thought it was going to be longer and i would have to see through it but i find myself "hunching" to do so and im uncomfortable in that possition. To see over it i have to stretch my neck too much and i feel i am driving like a goose, also very uncomfortable.
So please anyone who has the winter windshield, can you advice as to what is the correct way and if there is any solution to correct the coinciding line of sight with the windshield border.
Thanks
RaDy

raytheham
raytheham's picture
Re: Winter Windshield comfort viewing

I have a similar problem, both with the original screen and the winter screen. Here is my fix:
Mounting a VTA Vario touring screen extension to your standard screen

1.) Find the fastening points for the VTA:

Since the joints at the fastening points on either side are each slanted at 30°, you will have to find the corresponding position on the screen. To do this, use a cardboard positioning aid that you can make as follows:

a) Cut a triangle out of a piece of card measuring approximately 35 x 30 cm.

b) Place the cardboard positioning aid vertically onto the screen where the extension is to be mounted.

c) Mark the points on the positioning aid that touch the screen and measure the distance between these two points, “b”.

This distance is the gap between the fastening points on the VTA, and is needed to select the right extension.
If a corresponding model is available in the range, the fastening holes will have to be drilled into the screen.

2.) Marking the drill holes for the VTA.

a) The VTA is placed from above onto the central rear edge of the screen (if there is an edge protector strip on the screen, remove it first). The surface of the joints should touch the screen surface and the stud should rest on the rear edge of the screen.
b) Mark the points of contact.
c) Draw parallel lines of about 6 cm downwards. Cover the area up with adhesive tape first to prevent damage to the screen.
d) Drill two 6.2 mm holes on either side of the lines at 15 and 55 mm from the rear edge.
e) Place the VTA on the screen and screw tight with the covering caps. Reattach the edge protector strip if necessary.

You need the VTA 3,Klar or Smoked.

Welcher Vario-Touren-Aufsatzes (VTA) an Standardscheiben?

Ermitteln der Befestigungspunkte für den VTA:

Da die Gelenke an den Befestigungspunkten rechts und links jeweils eine Schräge von 30° aufweisen, muss die entsprechende Position an der Scheibe ermittelt werden. Dazu wird eine Schablone benötigt, die wie folgt angefertigt wird:

a) Aus einem Karton ca. 35 cm x 30 cm wird ein Dreieck ausgeschnitten.

b) Diese Kartonschablone wird senkrecht auf die Windschutzscheibe gestellt, und zwar dort, wo der VTA montiert werden soll.

c) Die Punkte, an denen die Schablone die Scheibe berührt, werden auf der Schablone markiert und der Abstand „b“ zwischen diesen beiden Punkten gemessen.

Dieser Abstand „b“ ist die Breite der Befestigungspunkte des VTA und wird benötigt um den passenden Aufsatz auszuwählen.

Lochabstand „b“ VT-Aufsatz Farbe Bestellnummer Gesamtlänge
23 cm VTA 1 Klar 4025066101504 28 cm
23 cm VTA 1 Rauchgrau 4025066088102 28 cm
25 cm VTA 2 Klar 4025066096145 33 cm
25 cm VTA 2 Rauchgrau 4025066088119 33 cm
26,5 cm VTA 3 Klar 4025066097098 34 cm
26,5 cm VTA 3 Rauchgrau 4025066088096 34 cm
22 cm VTA 4 Klar 4025066096152 30 cm
22 cm VTA 4 Rauchgrau 4025066088201 30 cm
24 cm VTA 5 Klar 4025066096732 33,5 cm
24 cm VTA 5 Rauchgrau 4025066088126 33,5 cm
21 cm VTA 8 Klar 4025066107704 28 cm
21 cm VTA 8 Rauchgrau 4025066089802 28 cm
21 cm VTA 9 Klar 4025066097340 30 cm
21 cm VTA 9 Rauchgrau 4025066097357 30 cm
20,5 cm VTA 10 Klar 4025066101559 31 cm
20,5 cm VTA 10 Rauchgrau 4025066101696 31 cm

Bitte beachten: Der VTA hat keine ABE und muss somit eingetragen werden!

Here is the contact info;
> Marc
>
> -----------------------------------------------
> Marc Adderley
> HPS
> Derwent House
> New Street
> Alfreton
> Derbyshire
> DE55 7BP
> Email: marc.adderley [at] bikehps.com
> Web: www.bikehps.com
> --------------------------------------------------
> Tel UK: 0870 774 7740
> Tel International: +44 177 383 11 22
> Fax UK: 0870 774 7741
> Fax International: +44 177 383 10 40
> Company Registration No. 2658610
> VAT Reg. Number GB 125 7136 82
> Division of Gordon Harwood Computers Limited
>

I fitted this to both of my screens and it works a treat, especially once you get above 40mph,
regards
Ray

Ray

R
R's picture

Rady, what about using a lower seat? You can borrow mine to conduct a test drive...
cheers,
R
pd: yesterday I did a large trip with my vectrix: Barcelona - Begues - Piera - Monestir de montserrat - Piera - Begues - Barcelona.
totalling 210 km in one single day. Started at 7 AM and ended at 8 PM! the most challenging part Piera - Monestir de montserrat - Piera, plenty km with nowhere to recharge.... Reached recharging point with 0 bars... The bike was moving fine, thought.

MikeB

My only concern is, while i ride im uncomfortable seeing through it and uncomfortable seeing over it. I dont know which of them is the correct way because my view sight is exactly in the border of the windshield, which is horrible. I thought it was going to be longer and i would have to see through it but i find myself "hunching" to do so and im uncomfortable in that possition. To see over it i have to stretch my neck too much and i feel i am driving like a goose, also very uncomfortable.

RaDy, I've got a similarly sized windshield on my Honda SilverWing. If I slouch, I look through it, but by sitting up straight I see over it. This allows me to get better protection from the wind when moving fast, but still allows me a clear view when the windshield is covered with raindrops. Personally, I think right below your eye level is where you want it.

However, if you have to make a change, the advice I keep hearing is to go shorter, not taller. For safety reasons, you need to be able to see over the windshield on occasion. It's not too difficult to cut the plexiglas material with a saw, and then sand the top to make it smooth. I think you want to put tape on the windshield before cutting, to give you a better line and avoid chips. Also, if you think you want to take off an inch, take off half of that first and test the view, since you can't make it longer but you can always re-cut.

My electric vehicle: CuMoCo C130 scooter.

RaDy
RaDy's picture

Thanks, Ray,R,and MikeB , for the moment ive taken the "goose" option, because i preffer to see over it, specially when its raining. About a lower seat, its agood idea for seeing through it but precisely i want to try not to see through it because that makes it too many "filtres" : my glasses, the sunshade incorporated in the NOLAN helmet, the "antisteam" double plexiglass NOLAN helmet and finally the windshield.
About adding an extender, again i preffer not to see through it. So i guess cutting it a few cms would be the best option.
Thanks

MikeB

RaDy, another short-term option would be to raise your seat slightly. I've got an air-hawk cushion that I use for long touring rides, and it probably adds a few cm to my eye height just due to it's thickness. Give that a try before you bring out the hacksaw.

Aircon

RaDy, another short-term option would be to raise your seat slightly. I've got an air-hawk cushion that I use for long touring rides, and it probably adds a few cm to my eye height just due to it's thickness. Give that a try before you bring out the hacksaw.

I'm 185cm and find touching the ground with both feet when stationary difficult already. How do you cope with the extra cushioning?

MikeB

I'm 185cm and find touching the ground with both feet when stationary difficult already. How do you cope with the extra cushioning?

The seat on my SilverWing is low enough that it's not a problem for me, I can still flat-foot as needed. However, if you're near the limit for that, then skip the cushion.

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage