Jeff Rubin @ The Business of Climate Change Conference 2009

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
reikiman
reikiman's picture
Jeff Rubin @ The Business of Climate Change Conference 2009

I haven't listened to thos in total yet - but the first five minutes are very insightful and there's another 40 minutes to go. The story he's talking is 'peak oil' but he explains it as an economist.

It's not that we're "running out of oil" but that we're running out of the cheap oil that maintains the current relatively low prices for oil. According to the youtube page (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYuLjGQQ-jg) he's written a book, Why Your World Is About To Get A Whole Lot Smaller, which predicts $225 per barrel oil by 2012 and with it the end of globalization.

marcopolo
Re: Jeff Rubin @ The Business of Climate Change Conference 2009

I haven't listened to thos in total yet - but the first five minutes are very insightful and there's another 40 minutes to go. The story he's talking is 'peak oil' but he explains it as an economist.

Thank you for the most interesting post. Jeff Rubin, is a fascinating speaker, Even if you don't always agree with what he says, you have to admire his logic and well constructed theories.

marcopolo

dp

As a Canadian investor I have been following Rubin for years, sometimes he quite right...sometimes not so much:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/blogs/jeff-rubins-smaller-world/the-electric-car-turn-out-the-lights/article1444597/

This is pretty bad, he totally ignores the potential that already exists in really light electric vehicles, the electric motorcycles and all those e-bikes already in China. He talks about the electric grid and doesn't seem to understand overnight charging (lots of spare capacity) and the value of distributed storage in electrical electrical vehicles, which can help you manage demand peaks and disruptions.

marcopolo

As a Canadian investor I have been following Rubin for years, sometimes he quite right...sometimes not so much:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/blogs/jeff-rubins-smaller-world/the-electric-car-turn-out-the-lights/article1444597/

This is pretty bad, he totally ignores the potential that already exists in really light electric vehicles, the electric motorcycles and all those e-bikes already in China. He talks about the electric grid and doesn't seem to understand overnight charging (lots of spare capacity) and the value of distributed storage in electrical electrical vehicles, which can help you manage demand peaks and disruptions.

Yes, he does point out some of the problems, but doesn't really come to a negative conclusion. His approach is a little old fashioned. You're right, Rubin doesn't seem to allow for rapidly advancing technical development. he also always discount the nuclear alternative, preferring to insist that only coal fired power is feasible.

But, I admire his presentation style, and find his arguments, even when I disagree, at least tolerant and sincerely written, free from the usual dogmatic propaganda.

marcopolo

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage