New Vectrix emphasis on fleets

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
ScooterMaxi Jim
New Vectrix emphasis on fleets

New to your forum, but I am active in posting news and maxi-scooters reviews. We have learned that the New Vectrix is aiming for fleet sales and will be less active in the consumer segment, expansion of dealer network, etc. - at least in the U.S. The full story is posted on the website (www.scootermaxi.com).

moccasin
moccasin's picture
Re: New Vectrix emphasis on fleets

Welcome aboard, Jim!

If V-USA is going after the fleet market, they may well have missed the bus .... AGAIN!

If I were in charge of a fleet and felt the need for this type of vehicle, I'd be holding out for the new Piaggio three wheeler. More stable bike, more stable company, a hybrid system that's being shared, not held to an exclusive and fragile licensee, and more fleet friendly range. I'm concerned that Vectrix may have burned some serious bridges with its abandonment of previous fleet bikes.

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/04/28/piaggio-to-sell-plug-in-hybrid-scooter/

ScooterMaxi Jim

Moccasin, I completely agree with you there. The Chevy-Volt/ Piaggio hybrid design has real potential, but it does seem to involve more technology than the a start-up like Vectrix can deliver. A lot of parts to integrate, obviously.

oobflyer
oobflyer's picture

We have learned that the New Vectrix is aiming for fleet sales and will be less active in the consumer segment, expansion of dealer network, etc. - at least in the U.S.

I just read the entire article at www.scootermaxi.com. It doesn't say that New Vectrix is aiming for fleet sales, the author is just speculating:

We recognize that Vectrix has to find ways to cut costs and adjust expectations. It would be a mistake, though, if New Vectrix focuses too heavily on fleet sales to college campuses and police departments – sales that came few and far between before the bankruptcy.

The article continues with the admission that New Vectrix hasn't yet released the details of their business plan - it's all just speculation at this point.

The dealer in San Francisco met with representatives of New Vectrix and they told him that the new strategy will be in place by the end of March 2010.

My own speculation is that if New Vectrix is talking to a dealership (vs. a college or police department) they haven't forgotten us individual owners :-)

ScooterMaxi Jim

While I admit to some level of speculation, let me just say that the claimed change in emphasis is based on informed opinion offered to me from sources close to the situation, dealer feedback, recent hiring decisions, and the apparent lack of public presence. As you can imagine, it is a sensitive situation requiring a level of confidentiality. Of course, the new management is not going to burn the entire dealer network and/or marketing to consumers. However, it is apparent that the consumer side is already suffering due to the lack of public comment so many months after acquisition. End of March is very late in the season to start getting a revamped pitch out there to a broad audience. I'm a straight shooter - and I own up to it when my information is not complete or might be viewed as misleading.

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

I have received the same indications ScooterMaxiJim has. However, bear in mind that to support fleet sales often requires dealing through an existing dealership in a given market and that dealership may also have a retail presence.

I don't think New Vectrix is about to "forget" their retail customers entirely. It's about where they choose to place the priority.

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage