Ninja Conversion: Please excuse my ignorance on electric motorcycle conversions as I am NEW here. : )

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
rtp69
Ninja Conversion: Please excuse my ignorance on electric motorcycle conversions as I am NEW here. : )

New here! Please excuse my ignorance on electric motorcycle conversions!!!

Just starting to look into a Ninja Conversion.

Would an 1987 Ninja 750 (specifically) be the easiest to build?? (i.e., No welding/Machining)

Or could an 1988 or 2000's model be just as easy?

Just wondering why John Bidwell went with the 1987 Ninja specifically? (I have not read the book yet)

I would just like to make an easy conversion as this being my first and make it go as smooth as possible
and just wondering which exact bike/year I should use?

Any input will be much appreciated!!!!

thanks, techno

reikiman
reikiman's picture
Re: Ninja Conversion: Please excuse my ignorance on electric ...

It's an interesting book and I recommend getting it. The book has a lot of general information on doing a motorcycle conversion and it's not just about the specific frame.

I'm leafing through and don't see an explicit statement of why he picked that frame. ON page 38 he does say something about not all bikes have a frame wide enough to accept the "group 24" batteries he used (that's a standard size for lead acid batteries).

The CAD drawings show a box that would be built between the frame rails to hold batteries.

It looks like you'll get away without doing welding. But you will have to do some metal fabrication. This includes building a battery box and a motor mount. The battery box may be simple cutting and bolting together angle pieces. The motor mount however is gonna be 1/4" or thicker plates that will get bolted to the frame somehow.

rtp69

Thanks for your input..... I do appreciate it!

But do you think other year Ninjas would work just as well?
Or do you think the 1987 has something about it that lends itself to being a "superior" conversion bike?

Thanks, techno

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

I don't know the answer to your question. If I were you I'd do a google search and see what changed between the 87 and later years. It might be that there were some significant frame changes (e.g. steel tube based space frame to aluminum spine). Wikipedia probably has some form of chronology on the Ninja development.

DaveAK on this forum is doing a Ninja conversion - you could ask him (send him a private message or send him an email via this forum).

Good luck.

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage