Curtis 1204 60v survivability, anyone dissect one?

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
rmay635703
Curtis 1204 60v survivability, anyone dissect one?

My folks have a stock 48v mini van (Miles ZX40) we have upgraded the battery pack to a new old set of 6v Greensavers.

They perform OK (capacity wise) but seem to not output amps at a high voltage for very long which affects the top speed quite quickly once we burn of the initial charge.

I am curious there were several individuals running Curtis 1204 48v controllers with 60v (one was in a Miles identical to mine) However his voltage was generally at or below 60v due to the type/condition of the batteries he used.

I am curious if I could "Get away" with an additional 6v, 8v or best yet 12v battery that I would "switch in" once the batteries initial charge was burned off.

Also how do I setup curtis F/R contactors to "Switch in" an extra battery. I would prefer with no power to the contactor for the 48v path to stay put, with power applied to the contactors switch to 60v.

Anyone ever dissect a curtis 1204? They seem relatively reliable although underpowered, it may be a very simple mod to upgrade one to 60v (incorrectly), since they are a dime a dozen I could get one to play with and likely replace mosfets and diodes if necessary. I do no believe the control circuitry at 60v is massively effected as most 12v circuitry isn't hurt running at as high as 18v normally. And the caps if I remember "should" handle 60v after the pack has been run a while.

Anyone ever get ticked and do this to a 1204? How long did it survive?

I have also thought of just adding a single 2v cell to the pack, sadly it couldn't be a greensaver but likely it would allow the controller to survive.

Anyone have any comments on 6v greensavers and the curtis 1204, looking for a been there done that, I have a feeling the abundant 1204/1205 models would be excellent platforms for cheap voltage modifications. Especially for those of us who do not care about performance paticularly but would benefit from higher voltages.

Cheers
Ryan

rmay635703
Re: Curtis 1204 60v survivability, anyone dissect one?

OK, if no one has ever attempted adding a couple volts on a 1204, does anyone have a real schematic or know which specific mosfet and caps are in there so I can determine the risk and maybe locate some replacements before I spend the $50 on another 1204 to tear down?

(hmm, 2nd thought I hit 38mph just by altering my field reduction resistance) But it takes 100amps to go 38mph instead of 65amps to go 28mph.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage