Official Vectrix Test Report by the Transport Canada

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mik
Mik's picture
Official Vectrix Test Report by the Transport Canada

Reid 250 found this test report, I think this is worth it's own thread so it does not get too much confused with the topic it was originally posted in.

Finally, some independent and official test results!

Here is the link to the website:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/programs/environment-etv-pagevectrix-eng-1699.htm[/quote]

And here a link to the more comprehensive test report:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/programs/vectrixtestresults.pdf

Mik
Mik's picture
Re: Official Vectrix Test Report by the Transport Canada

Double posting here to get it all into one place:

Here is an unbiased test showing the true costs of power at $0.015 per KM and range of 70Km.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/programs/environment-etv-pagevectrix-eng-1699.htm

Great find!

It confirms JDH and my measurements of acceleration! About 10s from 0 to 80km/h.

They fail to mention the effect of terrain on range, that is a serious omission, but otherwise it is an accurate report.

The range is markedly reduced in hilly terrain.

I doubt they tested the self-discharge in high ambient temperature, many Canadians will find that in a hot summer week their range is a lot less than the
numbers they found, particularly if parked in the sun.

Edit: Reading the more comprehensive report confirms my suspicions:

Testing was performed between October 8 and November 13, 2008. Tests were carried
out only in weather conditions that were favourable to evaluation and testing standards.

And the photo of the test track looks indeed as though it is as flat as a pancake! One will not get the same results on real roads in real weather!

But, at last, an official test report!

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

Mik
Mik's picture

A further issue is that they excluded the energy wastage during standby charging mode (not really a charging mode, just a charger cooking mode!).

Therefore, actual total consumption (4) is calculated from {total consumption (2) minus
standby consumption (5)}, which corresponds to just-completed charge consumption (4).

The energy wastage is much higher (double?) on 240V grid supply.

Reid250

Mik;
I think you know those results are from 2008?
This past week I have had many telephone conversations with TC employees who have bits and pieces of Vectrix knowledge. I will summarize this information when it is more complete. I have also tracked 3 Vectrix that were used by several B.C. Politicians in 2007. It was a big deal as he cells were made in Maple Ridge, B.C. by a heavily government subsidized plant. I know there are other people that have vast knowledge of EV's plus specific knowledge of Vectrix in Canada, who read this site. Hopefully they will add to the post as I wish to find out more about the current existence of any in Canada or in the Washington/Oregon area. They always seemed like an excellent idea, just an insane price. Now with LiFePO4 cells available, they seem like an even better idea.

rewski

Repost from other thread:

Do they comment on what version of the firmware they were running? If these tests were done in Oct-Nov 2008, wasn't that when the new (more restricted) firmware was just released? If so, the current updated bikes should get even less range because of the decreased max charge and increased voltage cutoff. Just a thought...I may be totally wrong.

Adam - Denver, CO
2007 Vectrix VX-1 charged with the power of the sun = zero carbon footprint

Mik
Mik's picture

Mik;
This past week I have had many telephone conversations with TC employees who have bits and pieces of Vectrix knowledge. I will summarize this information when it is more complete. I have also tracked 3 Vectrix that were used by several B.C. Politicians in 2007. It was a big deal as he cells were made in Maple Ridge, B.C. by a heavily government subsidized plant. I know there are other people that have vast knowledge of EV's plus specific knowledge of Vectrix in Canada, who read this site. Hopefully they will add to the post as I wish to find out more about the current existence of any in Canada or in the Washington/Oregon area. They always seemed like an excellent idea, just an insane price. Now with LiFePO4 cells available, they seem like an even better idea.

That will be most interesting!

One day we may figure out where all the different cell types came from! I never heard of any having been produced in Canada before, but that does not mean much, of course.

They don't tell me much ;-)

Mik
Mik's picture

Repost from other thread:

Do they comment on what version of the firmware they were running? If these tests were done in Oct-Nov 2008, wasn't that when the new (more restricted) firmware was just released? If so, the current updated bikes should get even less range because of the decreased max charge and increased voltage cutoff. Just a thought...I may be totally wrong.

No, no mentioning of firmware version.

The acceleration would also be affected by the "upgrade" to the firmware in Oct 2008. Someone (with inside knowledge) commented that the acceleration was only very marginally reduced to either 60km/h or 80km/h, but I think that paints the wrong picture.

The acceleration was reduced to limit the maximum current draw, and that happens between 60km/h and 80km/h. Therefore, I would expect a marked effect on the acceleration from 70km/h to 100km/h, and that is where it counts for passing other vehicles.

The ability to maintain 80km/h speed uphill might also have been adversely affected by this power restriction.

AndY1
AndY1's picture

Mik;

The PDF report clearly states October 2009. It's on the first page.

Reid250

October 2009 is the date of the publication, not the tests. You must understand how government tests and reports are done. IIRC THE scoot was received in Aug 2008 and the tests run in Oct/Nov 2008.
From Page 2 of the PDF;
"Testing was performed between October 8 and November 13, 2008. Tests were carried
out only in weather conditions that were favourable to evaluation and testing standards."

For a swivel serpent to complete and publish a document in under one year is totally amazing. When you get more than 7 of them in a circle, nothing new comes in or goes out. The circle jerk is complete.

From the conversations I have had, the Vectrix Project was very unique at Transport Canada. Everyone was and still is very positive about it. Several remembered the "Canadian Battery Technology", which I suspect had more than a little to do with TC testing the scooter in the first place. The government spent millions on regional economic development supporting E-One Moli who developed the cells.

AndY1
AndY1's picture

Then it's really unknown to us, if they drive the Vectrix with old or new software, because that was exactly the month, when they started updating bikes with newer software.

Thank you for heads up.

R
R's picture

Then it's really unknown to us, if they drive the Vectrix with old or new software, because that was exactly the month, when they started updating bikes with newer software.

In 13rd entry of the pdf, they say they can travel 15 km in power saving mode (red battery light). With the pre oct08 firmware this was impossible. I believe the test bikes were oct-08 firmware.

Victrix

Hi Reid250,

In answer to your query regarding Vectrix owners in Canada - I bought one last May from all Season Motorsports in Calgary, and have been riding it here in Victoria BC since then. I bought before the bankruptcy and so paid full price ($11,000 plus taxes), but it has been completely worth it. I believe I'm the only owner in the whole country other than the few machines in government hands. The local paper did an article on my vectrix a couple of weeks ago, so at least I'm "spreading the gospel".

Full Charge

The TC, ecoTechnology report fairly assesses the VX1, and supports the company performance numbers. I was with Vectrix for the last 3 yrs of its life. I headed up the sales administration dept. I know the Canadian effort first hand. TC did a very through job of testing. I consider them the UL for EVs and components. The VX 1 was at many transportation shows throughout Canada during 2008. Many heralded Vectrix as the future of transportation. Price and range were always the hang up. Like an expensive bird...great to look at,good in the sadle, but never could afford to marry !
My Dept worked hard for exposure in CA. Many distributors wanted in but for the margins. Those 2 bikes in BC were perks for the Olympics (which never happened)All Seasons Sport in Calgary was the only stocking dealer and yes, "Victrix" is the only retail Vectrix in CA I am aware of. Last check with New Vectrix owners there is not a Lithium option at present.
It's a pity that this excellent product did not make it. 13 yrs in developement, $185 M raised,2 yrs of production, 99 dealers in NA. So much infrastructure was fast tracted for a global reach, then gas crashed to $2.40, production pains and the finacial meltdown of 2008. The rest is history. It will be years before this bike is duplicated at a price the world buy. BMS must get drasticly lower and control systems cheaper and simplier. There are approx. 600 Vectrix 07-09 bikes in NA company and dealer inventories that will go for huge bargain prices. EBay sets the marker at $3,000. 300% less than OEM cost !Enjoy the quiet ride !

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

The TC, ecoTechnology report fairly assesses the VX1, and supports the company performance numbers.

Aside from acceleration? The TC report shows it as far slower off the line than the advertised claims.

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

Reid250

Hi Reid250,

In answer to your query regarding Vectrix owners in Canada - I bought one last May from all Season Motorsports in Calgary, and have been riding it here in Victoria BC since then. I bought before the bankruptcy and so paid full price ($11,000 plus taxes), but it has been completely worth it. I believe I'm the only owner in the whole country other than the few machines in government hands. The local paper did an article on my vectrix a couple of weeks ago, so at least I'm "spreading the gospel".

Thank you all, for your replies.

Victrix;
I sent you a PM as I'm just up the road from you and often visit.

jumpjack

Does any updated test for lithium version exist?

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage