Newb with battery question

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
GForce
Newb with battery question

Hi there,

I'm a newbie to the electric bike world. I just purchased a CS(brand) ES-101(model) i believe. It doesn't actually say in my user manual, if that's what you wanna call it, nor does it on the ownership tag.

When I lift the seat there's a white "control module" looking box and my battery pack.
The battery box is all one big black unit, with a plug on it that leads to the control module.
On the control module it says that it's a 48volt, 500watt scooter.

I've got it up to roughly 28-30 just the way it is. Luckily for me it's chain driven, so I am going to be changing the sprockets to receive more speed. However I would like to increase the longevity of my bike. The charger auto shuts off when charged, so it says, and I got roughly 15 km's our of it before it would no longer even go over 12.

I would like to know if there's something I can check to see if one of the cells in my battery has died, or add a second battery, or set of batteries to increase the longevity as it's supposed to get at least 40 - 50 km's to a charge.

Any advice, tips, help would be greatly appreciated.

I do know the differences between ac, dc, series and parrellel and know a fair bit about electronics. Just unsure about these bikes and certain specifics with them like the controller.

Mik
Mik's picture
Re: Newb with battery question

I know nothing about this particular bike - so take all of this with a big grain of salt.

Manufacturers range claim = 1/2 of optimistic real world range. Tough, but true for most EV's these days, I believe. Most seem to believe that they need to match their competitors lies!

The optimistic real world range is what you will get on relatively flat ground, with gentle driving, in cool to warm weather with a light rider.

In hilly terrain, with a heavy rider and in either very cold or very hot weather you might get a lot less range, again.

Batteries might need a few cycles to reach their full capacity, too. But the 15km you got might also be all that is to be expected!

One of the fastest ways to kill your batteries is to drain them deeply each time, and then over-charge them, each time.

It might be best for you to find what your bike can do comfortably, then very slowly increase this limit. If it does not rise, then that's what you got!

Plan to peddle more of you need to go further, or get an additional battery pack before you damage the one you have by frequent deep cycling.

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

GForce
Re: Newb with battery question

I'm interested in getting a second battery pack. I am curious as to where is a good price to buy one?
Also, do I need to go with another 48volt pack for extended life? Or could I get away with 2 12volt batteries in series making a 24 volt pack addon? As long as I match the amps/hour that is. Will that make any difference at all running my 48volt in paralel with a 24 volt pack of the same amperage? Or is my thinking correct that it will over drain the 24 volt pack when I need to use more than what it offers for a boost and end up killing them quickly in the end?

If I do need a 48 volt pack that's find and dandy with me. I am curious the best place to get one. Should I try to find an actual 48 volt pack, or just make one with 4 12volt batteries?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage