Noob - Considering an EVT 168

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
mososokruppe
Noob - Considering an EVT 168

Hi all,

I'm a complete newbie to electric scooters, but I have been interested in getting one for a few years now. I'm finally in the position to buy one, but I was hoping to run my idea by some people with some knowledge before blindly spending thousands of dollars.

I really like the look of the EVT 168. And it seems to have specs that meet my needs.

My commute to work is only 2 miles one way and 2 miles home. There are 2 relatively steep hills on my commute. My grocery store and most other things in my town are 15 miles or less from my house. I only need the scooter to have one passenger, myself. I live in central Pennsylvania, so I wouldn't be able to ride it much during the considerable winter months.

I'm hoping to get opinions as to whether people think the EVT 168 would be a good fit. Also, are there any particular websites that people would recommend for buying one? The best I have found so far seems to be soundspeedscooters.com.

Also, I am really torn about whether a Lead or Lithium battery would be best. If I can afford the Lithium option is it worth it?

Any help is appreciated!

-Nick

antiscab
Re: Noob - Considering an EVT 168

when the lead batteries are new, you should get 15 miles one way.

lithium is great, and upgrade if you can afford it.
but first use the original lead batteries till they fail (IMO)

Matt

Daily Ride:
2007 Vectrix, modified with 42 x Thundersky 60Ah in July 2010. Done 194'000km

mososokruppe

Thanks! Anyone else have any advice on my other questions?

reikiman
reikiman's picture

My experience with the EVT scooters is that they're excellently put together. I've had an EVT 4000 since 2002 and have had no problems with it at all.

mososokruppe

Any info about the need to register and title this in the state of Pennsylvania?

From what I can tell it would be classified as a motor driven cycle with an automatic transmission and less than 50cc. So that would mean that I do not have to have a motorcycle license, but I would have to insure, register and get a plate for it.

I'm new to the state of PA, so I have no idea where to go to get it registered. Also, if I buy it out of state (like from the place in Washington) any idea if it comes with a title or how to get it titled here? It seems I would need a title to get it registered.

The logistics of making sure that I'm driving it legally are starting to hurt my brain. I've searched and searched for a clear answer on this.

mososokruppe

I actually called around a few places and figured out the registration process.

My biggest question at this point is recommendations as to where to actually buy the scooter.

I am looking at Sound Speed Scooters as my primary place right now, but when I tried to call about some quick clarifying questions no one picked up. With the Spring weather being so nice I was really hoping to place an order today or tomorrow.

Thanks!

reikiman
reikiman's picture

Took a look at their site - they're probably good, but I've never heard from them. (Unsurprising as they're in Seattle and I'm not).

I happen to know that Green Rides (http://greenrides.com) has some EVT scooters they want to get rid of and they're willing to give a very good price on those scooters. They have both 4000's and 168's. They will charge shipping however. Make sure to tell them you saw this on VisForVoltage ;) ... They've been a dealer of EVT's and other EV's and are working on exiting that business to focus on other things. The scooters are "new in box" (unopened).

peter3L

I bought an EVT 168 a few months ago.
It is a beautiful scooter and it drives excellent.
The 2009 and 2010 models are modernized versions: now they have a brushless motor (and controller).
This also means that the rear wheel is larger (12" instead of 10").
My 2010 model even has a front disk brake and a built-in charger.

I purchased the SLA version. This is quite a heavy scooter (128 kg).
The battery weight affects the scooters stability when standing still. Three of the batteries are on top of each other, and number 4 is on top of the rear wheel, so the center point of gravity is relatively high.
My 50 kg girlfriend finds it hard to put it on the stand (however, she succeeds every time).
I've heard that the lithium pack is much lighter (15 kg instead of 65 kg) and so the handling should be better.

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage