Blown Fuse...maybe not?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
rah3a
Blown Fuse...maybe not?

Hi all,

Got my Vectrix about 2 months ago from a dealer here in San Francisco. It's perfect for commuting in the city, and I had a great run...for about 5 weeks. Then, the bike died and after reading through a ton of posts on V I was convinced the main fuse had blown. I was driving with a passenger up a hill, when suddenly, the bike lost power completely, started to reboot itself and go through the startup cycle, and then died completely with the speedo around 60kph. Didn't hear any noises. Now it's completely dead.

It took me a couple weeks to get around to it, but this past weekend got the bike home and took it apart (thanks for all the guidance on how to do that!) with the intention of getting the new 200A Bussman fuse and replacing it. However, my friend and I checked the fuse (125A) with his multimeter and it shows no resistance to speak of. I also don't see any visible sign of it blowing that others mentioned. For interest sake, we also checked the battery voltage for the front and rear packs, and those seem normal to me (62.4V front, 68.7 rear). Nothing else on the MC seems visibly wrong.

Anyone have thoughts on other things to check?

My bike was manufactured in Oct 2007, battery charge was maintained by dealer (it was the demo model they parked out front every day), and it does not have the software upgrade. Range was fine and it charged fine before it died. Stupidly, I didn't plug in the charger before pulling the whole thing apart (I was just convinced it was the fuse).

I did see a problem for a couple weeks before the failure where power would cut back intermittently while riding. It wouldn't completely cut out, but it would weaken for a few seconds and then kick back up to full power.

Thanks for any ideas you have.

Alex

Mik
Mik's picture
Re: Blown Fuse...maybe not?

I would put the battery back in and then try if it charges. Use an ICL. You may as well replace the fuse before you put it back together, though.

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

aPauled
Re: Blown Fuse...maybe not?

The fact that it "started to reboot itself" would indicate that it wasn't the fuse. When my fuse blew everything went dead in an instant, with the speedo stuck at the speed I was doing when the fuse blew. I would suspect the motor controller. They aren't cheap though!

Good when they work...

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage