Harley in Electric power

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
davesharp
Harley in Electric power

I am Dave from Brighton. I am an avid bike lover and a proud owner of a Harley Davidson Sportster. Just looking to connect with fellow bike lovers. Will love to get tips on to better take care of Daisy (this is what I call my lovely Spotrtster) and would like to know is it possible to convert harley into electric power driven? If it is possible then shall I need to change its parts?

I'm novice in this technology, please pardon me if I've asked anything wrong. Looking forward to your kind cooperation.

procrastination inc
procrastination inc's picture
Re: Harley in Electric power
Spaceangel

Dave
You have in your possession a nice XLCH and it is worth a lot more in H-D condition. Most of the electric scooters are in a 1500 to 3000 watt range and I don't feel if that is enough ENERGY to push a "Made in USA" scooter called a Sportster. I bought a "Made in New Bedford" wrecked scooter with a real big motor built in a wheel and can consume lots of Kilowatts. Just like you I plan on converting a Honda CB-450 to electric using the rear half of the Vectrix. I feel it is better to convert a light weight dirt bike or if one has to convert a Motorcycle then it best be an older Kawashockie or Honda or Ducati or BMW. Harley's are too prestigious to convert unless you have a five finger discount version. I am just up the road from you off of route 3. I have a couple of series wound motors if you still want to do a conversion. I was going to use my 3 HP GE motor but gearing was a little steep.
Watt way are you planning to go? If I was going to convert a H-D I would use a separate tranny off of and FLH and older one with reverse.
Buy the weigh, there is a nice bone yard in Lunenburg for nice bones to work with.
Rusty

KB1UKU

yemc
yemc's picture

sportster can be done
want at least a D&D sepex with sevcon controller at 84 volts lead or 24each Lions
and if you need more room just stretch frame
or an AC motor from performance golf cart or Angi motor
Electric sportsters,one on elmoto blog
couple on ev photo album
search by type them pick motorcycles
check out John's HD servicycle cool
you could use a kwasaki Kz frame lighter easy to chop
just cut the junk off fender section rotate shock forward a bit
weld on tab mount shock, make fender section like a sportster

Marc, Fresno,CA where the Sierra Nevada Mountains are hidden (smog)

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage