Opinions of "Merida Power Bycicle".

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Persona Non-Grata
Opinions of "Merida Power Bycicle".

Hi, I would like to know if there are any good or bad opinions or experiences with Merida pedal assist bicycles. There is one on sale at Home Hardware and as part of my research I'm posting an inquiry here. This is a scan of the advertisement in the flyer: Merida scan from flyer.JPG

The written details on Home Hardware's webpage for it is "Item # 6030-001
Model # 26S-500-L/A
Overview
Merida Electric Bicycle
- Aluminum frame - lighter than steel, rust proof
- SR Suntour suspension fork - added comfort
and control
- Alex alloy rims with stainless steel spokes - rust
proof, sturdy, light
- Aluminum adjustable bar with stem - maximum
comfort
- Tektro direct pull brake, F shimano roller brake -
quality brakes from top brands
- Shimano nexus 4 speed hub no exposed gears,
durable, simple
- Kalloy suspension seatpost - added shock
absorption
- Comfort spring saddle - smoothes out the bumps
- Generator lights F and R - no batteries required
- 2-leg kickstand - sturdy, stable
- Rear rack/fenders - carry cargo, stay clean
- Basket - great for errands
- DC24V 400 watt motor - 1/2 HP and peak output
for easy climing
- Top assist speed - 15 mph
- Max load - 240 lbs
- Approximate range 19 miles
- Approximate charge time 4 hours
- Blue"

Is this a good electric bike or is it only good for the money? My experience is limited to a second hand Kaishan.

Persona Non-Grata
Re: Opinions of "Merida Power Bycicle".

Hi, does anyone here still have their original Merida Powercycle/Total-EV 500/550 batteries. I found a website claiming that it had batteries comparable to the factory originals and compatible with the bike. The main concern that I have read about is that the originals were of a unique size and dimensions which are difficult to find. If someone would post the dimensions of an original battery, I could compare them and I will report on how close of a match it is. Thankyou

With a hammer, a chisle can be made. With a hammer and chistle, files can be made. With hammer, chisle, and file anything else can be made.
Kaishan k500w retired, Merida TEV500 on indefinite sabbatical, currently using a Currie E-zip Trailz.

Persona Non-Grata

Has been put on sabbatical pending repairs/upgrades for sale. Essentially it has been found unsuitable for my town-home run and should not be used for any application that involves gradients in excess of 7%. The failure was in the front sprocket's teeth quite literally wearing down and the chain constantly slipping off the front sprocket, this happened well within a year of use. Also when riding uphill and geared down the motor cuts out and then cuts back in in a manner that prevents consistent use. It also was unable to adapt to potholes and poorly kept roads and the battery packs normal connections kept slipping and loosing contact. I should have returned it then, but I was being stubborn and made a bypass cable attachment for the power, I may need to undo this to command a reasonable resale price.
For resale will also step down the 24volt general power to 6volt to run the head/tail lights and remove the inconsistent front hub generator, will also remove the front basket and apply it to the E-zip I am currently using, may need help with this. Can anyone suggest a good bicycle mechanics forum as much of what needs to be done to this bike is on the mechanical aspect. Thank you.

With a hammer, a chisle can be made. With a hammer and chistle, files can be made. With hammer, chisle, and file anything else can be made.
Kaishan k500w retired, Merida TEV500 on indefinite sabbatical, currently using a Currie E-zip Trailz.

Stef.T

Hey I think it should be enough for daily ride, yet for tours or rugged terrains or slopes, you may need a more powerful one, something like this: http://www.enoeco.com/e-bike-conversion-kit-hands-on-enoeco-t1/. It is a Merida-converted mtb. I like the bottom brackt torque sensor idea, seems powerful on slopes. Hope this will help. :)

Keep calm and whizz on.

Stef.T

Check my Merida retrofit:

Keep calm and whizz on.

miro13car

I owned MERIDA exactely like the one in the picture.
There are three things:
-Lead Acid battery - lasts only that long, archaic tech, easly can be replaced with Lithium of same voltage - WARNING from my experience: do not try to run on higher voltage. .
-noise of brush motor.
- problems with clutch.
I couldnt live with annoying noise and rather abrupt assist when it kicked in. No way to adjust level of assist, no regen breaking, need to replace brushes on this brush motor etc.
I replaced MERIDA with BIONX - comparing two is like comparing day with night.

CM

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage