Good News, Bad News, Good News

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
oobflyer
oobflyer's picture
Good News, Bad News, Good News

I just got home from the Sear's Point motorcycle races where I was lucky enough to see the first electric superbike race in the U.S. (the Good News) While I was there I was also lucky enough to meet David Herron (the proprietor of this website) and Chelsea Sexton (more Good News) while hanging out in the electric race bike area. Chelsea introduced me to a gentleman that used to work for Vectrix. He didn't have any official insight into the new Vectrix Company (the Bad News), but he mentioned that he personally knows "some guys" that are actively working towards making an after-market upgrade for the VX-1. It will consist of Li-Ion batteries and a new BMS (Battery Management System). The gentleman with whom I was speaking claimed to already have this upgrade in his Vectrix. It is a prototype and cost him $10,000. It pushes the Vectrix to a top speed of 85 MPH. The range increases to 150 miles/charge.

And the final Good News? These "guys" he knows plan to start selling these VX-1 Li-Ion upgrades to the rest of us for around $3,000 within the next couple of years.

Take it with a grain of salt; but he seemed sincere and knowledgeable. I will be upgrading, if and when it is available, unless the New Vectrix Company offers something similar at lower cost.

SrsPt.jpg

Mik
Mik's picture
Re: Good News, Bad News, Good News

I think it is nonsense!

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

reikiman
reikiman's picture

I happen to know the fella and he was a (or the) leading person developing Vectrix's sales organization. I've talked with him long enough to know he knows somewhere around a zillion things about selling motorcycles (whether electric or gas powered).

I didn't hear him say the stuff about the lithium upgrade. He did tell me during our first conversation a couple months ago that his own Vectrix was lithium powered.

He's the real deal, just can't verify the part about the lithium upgrade. And it was wonderful meeting oobflyer. I can also verify that Chelsea Sexton was there, and was totally thrilled when she not only recognized me on the spot, but that she has been reading my news articles.

Mik
Mik's picture

I happen to know the fella and he was a (or the) leading person developing Vectrix's sales organization. I've talked with him long enough to know he knows somewhere around a zillion things about selling motorcycles (whether electric or gas powered).

I didn't hear him say the stuff about the lithium upgrade. He did tell me during our first conversation a couple months ago that his own Vectrix was lithium powered.

He's the real deal, just can't verify the part about the lithium upgrade. And it was wonderful meeting oobflyer.

I rest my case!

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

procrastination inc
procrastination inc's picture

240km range is pretty big. a 100Ah pack might pull that at 60km/h. That might also give enough continuous current to up the speed limiter that far and still have a useful range.

Stuffed if I know how they would fit that much in,

Lifebatt USA's new 20Ah cells in a 42s5p array might fit with some battery box and body mods. Pity you cant get them.

Nice to see the webmasters heart a flutter :)

R
R's picture

It is a prototype and cost him $10,000. It pushes the Vectrix to a top speed of 85 MPH. The range increases to 150 miles/charge.

And the final Good News? These "guys" he knows plan to start selling these VX-1 Li-Ion upgrades to the rest of us for around $3,000 within the next couple of years.

useless data. range is set according to distance vs speed.

A 10.000 USD 85MPH top speed 150 mile per charge at 40 km/h upgrading pack can be possible.
However, a 3000 USD lithium upgrading kit, obviusly won't give such wonderful top speed and such incredible range.... And I'm wondering how do they reprogram the bike....

procrastination inc
procrastination inc's picture
jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

The gentleman with whom I was speaking claimed to already have this upgrade in his Vectrix. It is a prototype and cost him $10,000. It pushes the Vectrix to a top speed of 85 MPH. The range increases to 150 miles/charge.

Sigh. 150 miles at what speed? What's the range like at 85 mph? What's the capacity of the energy storage device (i.e. the battery).

He may be "the real deal" but he's using numbers that are designed to impress but don't have any backing.

I could see the VX getting 85mph - but boy will it suck down the juice. However, I can't see 150 miles at anything other than 15 mph or less with a 6kWh+ pack - thus that's not really a very useful number.

Oh, and if you see this guy again - ask him to justify the acceleration figures they use in their marketing. I've yet to see anyone come close to those figures (with a stock Vectrix).

Just what we need more hype...

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

oobflyer
oobflyer's picture

I didn't get into the details, but I'm sure that he didn't mean the bike would go 150 miles @ 85 MPH. Using Vectrix's claims -- they say the VX-1 goes "35-55" miles on a charge and goes "up to 62 MPH". This upgrade will presumably triple this range (and increase the governed top speed). We know the bike will currently, actually only go about 25 miles at full speed (62 MPH). If the upgrade triples this to 75 miles at 62 MPH it will be a tremendous improvement. It would also be cool to actually pass someone else on the freeway once in a while ;-)

reikiman
reikiman's picture

I asked the guy you'd talked with for clarification... a) OLD vectrix had developed a Lithium-ION back with eLithion BMS and NEW vectrix has that IP ... b) Richard Hatfield is interested in developing a pack and wants to acquire a Vectrix that has a bad pack. I saw Richard last night at a different event, and he asked me again if I knew of a Vectrix he could acquire for cheap. Richard is an expert with these batteries but he also has a zillion projects going on so...

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

I didn't get into the details, but I'm sure that he didn't mean the bike would go 150 miles @ 85 MPH. Using Vectrix's claims -- they say the VX-1 goes "35-55" miles on a charge and goes "up to 62 MPH". This upgrade will presumably triple this range (and increase the governed top speed). We know the bike will currently, actually only go about 25 miles at full speed (62 MPH). If the upgrade triples this to 75 miles at 62 MPH it will be a tremendous improvement. It would also be cool to actually pass someone else on the freeway once in a while ;-)

Yes, I'm sure you're right that he didn't mean it would do 150 miles at 85mph. However, at what speed will it do 150 miles? If it's at a constant 25 kph (15 mph) then that's a useless number. Even if your average journey speed is 25 kph (and it probably isn't) it sure won't be a constant 25 kph - there will be lots of accels and decels in there.

The 85mph figure is believable and useful (although only if it doesn't suck the available juice down too fast).

It's the 150 mile range number that I think is bogus. Unless of course there is someone who has a real world use case where someone rides for 10 hours at 15 mph on a flat road...

Just my 2 cents worth.

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage