Gear noise revisited

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
R
R's picture
Gear noise revisited

I know this is a redundant problem: 2 gearboxes were replaced without success, and only an entire swing arm replacement with a well calibrated engine could solve solve my gearbox noise. But after 10.000 km my new gearbox is getting noisy again... After reading some gearbox topics I couldn't find a clear solution to reduce that ugly noise. The vectrix rear panels behave like a cage amplifier due to its concave geometry. Some noise absorbent placed behind this panels could prevent some noise to get to the rider, but it would be more intelligent to solve the problem that causes the noise...

Anybody found a way to reduce the gearbox noise? many thanks.

Mik
Mik's picture
Re: Gear noise revisited

Eyeinthesky has done some dampening of sorts, but I do not know how exactly.

The most important point is to be certain that the noise is not a symptom of something nasty that needs attention!

And sounds are oh-so-hard to describe!

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

richard_durant
richard_durant's picture

The problem is that the gear teeth are inexplicably straight cut, making this "car going in reverse" noise ... The only plausible explanation for this is to make the Vectrix noisy enough to warn pedestrians. What a pity for people like me used to drive perfectly silent electric vehicles !

Richard.

"We don't inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery.

antiscab

The problem is that the gear teeth are inexplicably straight cut, making this "car going in reverse" noise ...

straight cut gears are more efficient, cheaper to make, stronger, lighter and more reliable than the helical cut gears found in most cars and bikes.

its the first reason why straight cut gears are used in *every* vehicle where economy was the highest priority (vectrix, impact, ev1,iMEiV, etc).

Matt

Daily Ride:
2007 Vectrix, modified with 42 x Thundersky 60Ah in July 2010. Done 194'000km

oobflyer
oobflyer's picture

I must admit I had no idea that there were gears on the Vectrix! Where are they? I thought the hub-motor configuration eliminated the need for gears!

AndY1
AndY1's picture

There's a plantary gear. There are no gears, planetary gear is only used for ratio between high speed RPMs of the electric motor to the RPMs of the wheel.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage