Electric Bike Controller

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
larrydam
Electric Bike Controller

While riding up a 2000 foot hill my bike cut out. I have a hub motor and it was very hot. the controller and battery were warm. what i'm trying to determine, if i fried the motor or controller. I have battery power to the controller but would like some help determining if the controller is OK.

thanks
Larrydam

larrydam
Re: Electric Bike Controller

i did check the continuity on the hub motor. the three main leads had 19K between them. i checked another good hub motor and the continuity between the leads was 0.00 ohms. looks like i fried my motor.

Larrydam.

Larrydam

Spaceangel

Larry
I guess you veriFried it to be bahd. I got a Vectrix and went real real slow up our hills that go on for many thousands of feet and went back down trying to recover energy and wasted many days doing that and did notice that motor got rather warm too. I have done it riding with my neighbor on my XM-3000 going the same route and that motor was stinking hot. The XM-2000 could not even crawl up our hills and when I went to buy a new motor, it was rather expensive and that is when I bought a new XM-3000. So what I learned is it takes 3000 watt to get up our hills. Or at least most of them. there is a hill that only my Vectrix can do and I presume the Vectrix is 10 or 15 KW motor or more. I get off and push my bicycle with a 1,000 watt rear wheel hub motor up all of our hills for I no longer have the strength to Mtn bike up any of our hills and don't want to burn motor out the also. When the rest of my little scooters die, I will put 3000 watt motors on the same frames along with larger matching controllers. That will assure me to get up most hills using older nicer looking frames. There is a movie Kill Bill. Well there is a fact that Hills ~ Kill motors and or controllers.
Since the motor is bad are you going to replace or upgrade?

KB1UKU

larrydam

I assume the motor had it, but then i checked the controller out (two of the three leads). On a good controller the voltage comes out as AC. on My controller it doesn't do anything. Don't know if the motor is bad and this is the way a controller responds to a bad motor. Anyway reading FAQs on ampedbike, they claim all these chinese 1000 Watt motors are really 500 watt motor that are overvoltage. if that is so then that would help explain my problems.

Larrydam

nirvanatgr

I have done it riding with my neighbor on my XM-3000 going the same route and that motor was stinking hot. The XM-2000 could not even crawl up our hills and when I went to buy a new motor, it was rather expensive and that is when I bought a new XM-3000. So what I learned is it takes 3000 watt to get up our hills..

heaviside

I actually have a 1000 watt chinese motor so I may know a little bit. First of all, you really shouldn't believe anything a dealer tells you. Chinese electric bikes were not originally intended for the western world. They were sold to the chinese people, who, as you can imagine, need a reliable efficient ride to work--they aren't going to put up with chinese crap.
Anyway, the hub diameter of a 1000W motor is at least twice that of the 500W, and I promise you it is 1000W OUTPUT power at certain rpm's. The XM-3000 that nirvanatgr has is actually 3000W INPUT power, which, at lower rpm's could be around 1500W output or less, the rest goes to heat the world. And at well over 300 pounds for the bike alone I would guess this thing crawls up steep hills, and at a price of as much as $3000, well, heh...like I said, don't trust a dealer.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage