how do I test batteries on vectrix ?

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
robwhite
robwhite's picture
how do I test batteries on vectrix ?

I have lost a lot of range on my vectrix and suspect that I may have some dead cells? (now have nearly 11000 klms)
I now get the low battery voltage light coming on while I still have 5 bars left?
last night I only managed to get 39 klms range before the bars went to zero and the range read 0 klms
Can I easily test each individual cell with a multimeter without having the isolate each cell?
And whilst testing the cells should I test them after a full charge or maybe somewhere in between flat and full?
regards rob

Mik
Mik's picture
Re: how do I test batteries on vectrix ?

No, unfortunately this is not easy at all. We have learned a lot about it by sharing what we learn on VisforVoltage and other forums, though.

To figure out how to best proceed we need to know much more about the problem:

A) What range did you have at the best time?
B) What software are you running in the Vectrix - when was it last updated by a dealer?
C) When did you buy the Vectrix?

You have the same dealer as me, so you might as well forget about them fixing it for you.

Please come back with some feedback about how the advice from VisforVoltage worked for your previous queries - we like to learn how to fix these bikes, but we need to know the result, or we keep just stabbing in the dark!

I mean these:

http://visforvoltage.org/forum/7882-how-do-i-search-topics-forum

http://visforvoltage.org/forum/7880-no-battery-charging-vectrix

http://visforvoltage.org/forum/7240-vectric-throttle-operating-reverse

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

robwhite
robwhite's picture

Sorry not to let every one know how I fixed the problem of the throttle reversing from an earlier post
I found that the red wire that goes to the encoder was rubbing on the head of the bolt that screws into the electric motor shaft (10mm head ) evevery time the one of the six points came around it touched the copper and as a result created a hash knock as the motor went into braking mode and sometimes made the throttle reverse ie. if you roll the throttle forward while this was happening into regen mode you actually sped up ? THe head of the bolt wore through the insulation and cut right through the copper in the end and was only holding by the oposite side of the red insulation Once the wire broke I had no drive at all

rob white

robwhite
robwhite's picture

the battery charger had died and I did send you pictures of the failure Mik I was hoping that one day I might be able to find someone that could repair it so I can keep it as a spare ? I ended up buying a new one for it unfortunately regards rob

rob white

robwhite
robwhite's picture

I bought the vectrix about sept last year with 1500 klms on it
the best range I used to get was about 60 klms which is a combination of 50,60,70 & 80 klm speed zones to work with some steep hills
The range has slowly been dropping off over the last few months to about 40 klms with the last 4 bars dropping off very quickly ?
I have not had any software updates since I have purchased it but I think it has the lastest as the head light turns off by holding the passing switch down ?

rob white

Mik
Mik's picture

Thank you so much for the updates! I hope it will help the community sooner or later to know these things. It will most likely help you, too.

The ability to turn the headlight off (or more importantly to turn both filaments on) does not really say too much about the software version.

It says some, because that feature appeared in early 2008. But it is probably still present in the very latest (HAHA) software releases.

The important question is if you can get the bike to program a pre-charging delay and if you can make it display the temperature of the battery at will (using some sort of brake lever sequence). Those Vectrix riders with these versions will be able to tell you how to test it, exactly, and they will, soon....I bet!

Mik
Mik's picture

Sorry not to let every one know how I fixed the problem of the throttle reversing from an earlier post
I found that the red wire that goes to the encoder was rubbing on the head of the bolt that screws into the electric motor shaft (10mm head ) evevery time the one of the six points came around it touched the copper and as a result created a hash knock as the motor went into braking mode and sometimes made the throttle reverse ie. if you roll the throttle forward while this was happening into regen mode you actually sped up ? THe head of the bolt wore through the insulation and cut right through the copper in the end and was only holding by the oposite side of the red insulation Once the wire broke I had no drive at all

That really sounds like a candidate for the "Handbook!"

Did anyone else have this problem? Can anyone describe it in more detail, please?

I almost understand it and I am sure there are readers that can see the exact picture in their mind - and then put it in words for all to see! (Please)

AndY1
AndY1's picture

the best range I used to get was about 60 klms which is a combination of 50,60,70 & 80 klm speed zones to work with some steep hills
The range has slowly been dropping off over the last few months to about 40 klms with the last 4 bars dropping off very quickly ?
I have not had any software updates since I have purchased it but I think it has the lastest as the head light turns off by holding the passing switch down ?

If you turn off the red kill switch and pull the left(rear) brake, does the left LCD display the battery temperature and battery voltage? If yes, you have the latest firmware.

robwhite
robwhite's picture

re the software version ...I can read the battery temp by holding the left brake levet in while the kill switch is activated and I can pre set the pre-cooling fan time as well if I like
regards rob

rob white

Mik
Mik's picture

the battery charger had died and I did send you pictures of the failure Mik I was hoping that one day I might be able to find someone that could repair it so I can keep it as a spare ? I ended up buying a new one for it unfortunately regards rob

You did, I forgot.

Could you send more pictures of the charger damage, please? I only have one. And how much was the new charger? Did you put it in yourself? Did it need to be programmed or just connect it up and away you go?

Below is the content of the PM's:

Mik do you know of anyone that maybe capable of repairing my battery charger It went out with a bang and a flash of light the other day I'll try to upload a pic of the damaged area on this message and if you like I can send you more pics direct regards rob

I havnt tried to run the scooter with the charger removed as I also have the icm out to so I can get to the charger mounting screws It did work fine on the way home from work after the charger went down do you think it would be worth trying to contact the factory to see if they might be able to repair it ?

They will not repair your charger. Maybe you can buy a new or used one from someone.

Good to know the bike was still running, it means you (and others) might be able to rig something up to keep a Vectrix going even if no functioning charger is present!

It would be good to know exactly which parts of the charger were fried. Maybe some (like those that communicate with the ICM) had survived and enabled you to keep on riding home.

Mik
Mik's picture

It could be either a real reduction in battery capacity, or voltage depression or imbalance in the pack.

Do you ever let the bike complete the EQ charge? Now would be a good time for it, winter, easy cooling. If you always stop charging with a timer, then the EQ charge cannot happen.

It would probably do an EQ charge immediately if you leave it plugged in overnight if this is the case.

Let us know how it goes, please!

AndY1
AndY1's picture

Do you ever let the bike complete the EQ charge? Now would be a good time for it, winter, easy cooling. If you always stop charging with a timer, then the EQ charge cannot happen.

It would probably do an EQ charge immediately if you leave it plugged in overnight if this is the case.

Let us know how it goes, please!

I always let it do the EQ charging only when I'm able to be present during it, because the length of EQ charging, as I have observed, varies.

My pack, which is fairly balanced, took less than 2 hours to complete the EQ charging. I don't know how much, because I was expecting it to last 4 hours. I checked at 1 hour into EQ and next time at 2 hours into EQ. At 1 hour into EQ, it was still charging at 3A. At 2 hours into EQ, it was already shut down. So it was somewhere between 1-2 hours. I immediately took a ride then, because that overcharging part is heating up the battery quite nicely, once it's shut down.

That's why I let it do the EQ on weekends, when I can check the EQ charging every now and again, so I can immediately, after I observe it's finished, take a ride to cool and empty the pack to a 50% SOC. If I'd let it do the EQ on workday, it could finish it at 3:00AM and the pack will cook itself until 6:30 when I take off for work. Also, self discharge is quite significant at fully (over)charged and heated pack.

Mik
Mik's picture

At 1 hour into EQ, it was still charging at 3A. At 2 hours into EQ, it was already shut down. So it was somewhere between 1-2 hours. I immediately took a ride then, because that overcharging part is heating up the battery quite nicely, once it's shut down.

Does it not just look like it has finished, but in reality it is just taking a break and would start up again if you let it? I think I read that somewhere here. It looks as if it is finished, but is not!

The EQ charge causes a 3degC temp rise, stops, starts until temp rise, stops, starts, etc etc.

In your always cool garage it may not run the cooling impellers between these EQ charge stages, who knows?

robwhite
robwhite's picture

DSCF4506.JPGDSCF4507.JPGDSCF4508.JPGDSCF4509.JPGDSCF4510.JPGDSCF4511.JPGDSCF4512.JPGDSCF4513.JPG

I you look carefully you can see the burnt area on some of the pics where the charger blew up
it wansnt too bad a job getting it out other than some screws were hard to get to for the right panel next to the headlight
regards rob

rob white

AndY1
AndY1's picture
At 1 hour into EQ, it was still charging at 3A. At 2 hours into EQ, it was already shut down. So it was somewhere between 1-2 hours. I immediately took a ride then, because that overcharging part is heating up the battery quite nicely, once it's shut down.

Does it not just look like it has finished, but in reality it is just taking a break and would start up again if you let it? I think I read that somewhere here. It looks as if it is finished, but is not!

The EQ charge causes a 3degC temp rise, stops, starts until temp rise, stops, starts, etc etc.

In your always cool garage it may not run the cooling impellers between these EQ charge stages, who knows?

If it's in the cooling period, between EQ phases, the middle LCD says CO. If it's the end of charge, it says EC. That's how I knew it was over.

Edit: I forgot. In between EQ phases, when CO is cooling the battery, the impellers are working, while mine was at EC, everything was shut down. I checked the status (EC) by turning on the bike with the bike still plugged in.

Mik
Mik's picture

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage