Business idea - Electric lawn mowing service?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
reikiman
reikiman's picture
Business idea - Electric lawn mowing service?

Am listening to the "Ask Dan" podcast (see 48days.com) - the podcast is a show by Dan Miller that's about ways to shift from the typical soul crushing jobs most people have to the work you love. Anyway a question he just read was an idea for a green lawn mowing service where the guy would use "reel" style mowers. The feature of reel mowers is that no gasoline etc .. hence it would be a very green service and would appeal to those zillions of people who have recently become enlightened to the need for greening everything. Right?

It occurred to me to think about a different version of this business idea ...

First though, Dan's response was that the proposal didn't sound very good to him. He's assuming that mowing a lawn using a reel mower would take twice as long, hence the service provider would charge twice what a gasoline powered landscaping company would charge, and the 2x price would make this business a non-starter.

Here's where the electric comes in play.

a) convert mowers to electric drive - I'm sure we could come up with a suitable conversion kit and for that matter there are examples of commercially made electric lawn mowers and garden tractors

b) the sales proposition is as above - mowing the lawn w/o environmental impact - electric mowers, best if they're solar charged mebbe - additional aspects of "no environmental impact" might be collecting and composting lawn clippings and maybe offering compost to your customers they can use to fertilize their lawns

c) the electric mower solves Dan's critique of the reel mower idea - with an electric mower the mowing time should be the same. But on the other hand maybe there's some other cost that might be higher, such as the cost of the mower, or the total life cycle cost of replacing battery packs ...

Dauntless
Re: Business idea - Electric lawn mowing service?

I think what has made reel mowers as pictured so popular with the mowing service is the grass catcher in the front. But there's actually the strong movement to leave the cuttings on the lawn. Certainly the rotary mower cuts more evenly. And it's easier to push around, I would guess the only reason there aren't more reel electrics and gas at this point.

I bought my plugin electric a few years ago for $179. If I'd had any faith in the batteries, I've have paid I believe it was $350, but I notice that one isn't in the store anymore and mine is.

I guess I should mention that having your lawn mowed for you by an electric isn't exactly a serious marketing strategy. I say that from Southern California, where you guys I'm sure think there's all these Green Nazi's, but no, that's the People's Republic of NORTHERN California. Not that we don't make the effort here, we're just not sick about it.

Ah well, they do have just the high tech mower this community will want to read about.

Epic Cordless Electric Solar Mower

Electric lawn mower REPAIR could be the wave of the future. Where do we take them?

WHo dares, WINS!!!!

marcopolo

Here's where the electric comes in play.

a) convert mowers to electric drive - I'm sure we could come up with a suitable conversion kit and for that matter there are examples of commercially made electric lawn mowers and garden tractors

b) the sales proposition is as above - mowing the lawn w/o environmental impact - electric mowers, best if they're solar charged mebbe - additional aspects of "no environmental impact" might be collecting and composting lawn clippings and maybe offering compost to your customers they can use to fertilize their lawns

c) the electric mower solves Dan's critique of the reel mower idea - with an electric mower the mowing time should be the same. But on the other hand maybe there's some other cost that might be higher, such as the cost of the mower, or the total life cycle cost of replacing battery packs ...

This is a question I have often pondered. WHO KILLED THE ELECTRIC RIDE-ON MOWER!!

This was a terrific product manufactured by GE between 1961 and 1975. The GE EV ride-on mower even has a fan club who hold swap meets!

Of course there are a few PRC EV ride-on mowers, but the quality of the fittings is very substandard!

Flymo! The Electrolux made little hand-mower/hovercraft is a really nifty idea, although the long,long, long power cord is a bit of a worry!

Jacobsen, manufacture a large EV ride-on for golf courses.($55k)

I wonder Edmonton EV mowers in Canada is still going?

The are undoubtedly many other small mowers, but the GE was a terrific product, mostly due to it's countless accessories and fittings.

marcopolo

antiscab

Theres someone on the EVDL who either does or used to run an electric lawn mowing.

he used a battery powered mower (AGM batteries)
and used his cars traction battery to dump charge the mowers battery during breaks.

have a look through the archives for interests sake.

it is a shame the GE product was discontinued.
I wonder if its now viable to re-manufacture them....

you could also make your own.

Matt

Daily Ride:
2007 Vectrix, modified with 42 x Thundersky 60Ah in July 2010. Done 194'000km

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation