Why don't we have electric leaf blowers???!?

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
reikiman
reikiman's picture
Why don't we have electric leaf blowers???!?

I'm sitting on my front porch, laptop on the lap and across the street this guy with a gasoline powered leaf blower is doing his thing.

My complaints:

1. Noisy
  2. Gasoline burning
  3. Stinky
  4. Pollution: a) exhaust from burning gasoline, b) noise pollution

He just went around the corner, must know I'm writing a rant about him. Anyway there was a moment where he was blowing the leaves in my direction and while the leaves never went anywhere near me the stinky exhaust came billowing across me and probably shortening my life by a few microseconds.

It's most likely a two stroke engine and we know those are extra polluting.

Thing is - why aren't they electric? We who have played with Dewalt battery packs and the like know how powerful they are. Surely someone could design an electric leafblower using rechargable power tool packs like the Dewalt packs. How hard can that be?

There's been a long running issue about leaf blowers but from what I can tell it's mostly about the noise. That wave of stinky exhaust that just blew around me shows it's more than noise.

It's not like this is rocket science - it would be real easy to design such a thing. Oh, hmm, a google search shows they do exist. Changes the question to: why aren't they being used?

Dauntless
Re: Why don't we have electric leaf blowers???!?

1) It would take a long power cord to reach the neighbors yard when blowing the leaves.

2) It wouldn't wake your neighbors you don't like anyway early Sunday morning.

3) Never did it that way before, why start now?

4) Ever been in the garage area raceday morning? Ahhh, the smell. . . .

Besides, if this global warming thingee works out, there won't BE cold mornings anymore.

Black and Decker electric leaf blower

WHo dares, WINS!!!!

Spaceangel

Thing is - why aren't they electric? We who have played with DeWalt battery packs and the like know how powerful they are. Surely someone could design an electric leafblower using rechargeable power tool packs like the DeWalt packs. How hard can that be?

There's been a long running issue about leaf blowers but from what I can tell it's mostly about the noise. That wave of stinky exhaust that just blew around me shows it's more than noise.

It's not like this is rocket science - it would be real easy to design such a thing. Oh, hmm, a google search shows they do exist. Changes the question to: why aren't they being used?

David
That is all I use is Electric Leaf Blowers. If I don't use my S-10, I use my table saw with Yuasa NP6-10 batteries. Number one is it is quieter and number two for some strange reason it runs better as in maybe a little more power. Heck even the switch is still good after tens years of use. I did go to Sears and order a new impeller or propeller. But no brushes as of yet.
You are right~ no rocket science just plug and play and use a quiet blower of sorts. Wind noise is still high for me though. My little Sear Craftsman blower has variable speed on AC but SCR gates on for DC in other words flat out full speed or maybe a tad more than full for it make a high pitched wind noise. It still draws 7 to 12 Amps depending on leaf blower so a little DeWalt pack probably couldn't handle 120 volt DC at 12 amps? Of course that means I have to use an extension cord to battery pack.

KB1UKU

7circle
7circle's picture

I noticed BOSCH have some garden electric gear, but no blower. Stange. Is there a patent [!)]
Bosch in the Garden

You could make one, but are backpacks with battery and 2000W 12Vdc to 240VAC inverter available off the e/shop shelf.
Old concept, but not general product. One day. :(

marcopolo

.Thing is - why aren't they electric? We who have played with Dewalt battery packs and the like know how powerful they are. Surely someone could design an electric leaf-blower using rechargable power tool packs like the Dewalt packs. How hard can that be? Changes the question to: why aren't they being used?

An INTERNET search reveals at least 11 different electric leaf blowers for sale from different makers.

Hopefully, your neighbours blower may catch fire!

marcopolo

EVPaul

I have an electric (with a cord) leaf blower. It is pretty nice to use. The power is good and with enough cords the leaves can be blown into the neighbor's yard across the street. Not that I've ever done that. I put it in the shed after the last leeaves have been picked up in the fall and pull it out in the spring. It starts up every time. It is still kind of loud since it has a fan and is moving alot of air but there are no explosions or fumes.

Alternatively one could move to a town that has had the good sense to outlaw the gas leaf blowers...

Maybe even get your town to do it. ;-)

Paul

reikiman
reikiman's picture

The thing I'm wondering is - why does an electric leaf blower have to have a cord? The gas leaf blowers used by landscapers they have an engine the size of a small genset strapped to their back. Surely that weighs quite a bit and there could be a way to lighten their load by using something like the dewalt battery packs. The battery packs most likely wouldn't have enough charge for a full day of blowing leaves around, but that just means one could concoct a charger that can be installed in a vehicle so they could charge packs while riding between jobs.

ArcticFox2
ArcticFox2's picture

marcopolo

The thing I'm wondering is - why does an electric leaf blower have to have a cord? The gas leaf blowers used by landscapers they have an engine the size of a small genset strapped to their back. Surely that weighs quite a bit and there could be a way to lighten their load by using something like the dewalt battery packs. The battery packs most likely wouldn't have enough charge for a full day of blowing leaves around, but that just means one could concoct a charger that can be installed in a vehicle so they could charge packs while riding between jobs.

Step 1) Visit local TOOLs Barn, Black and Decker cordless, Jacobsen cordless, Ryoki cordless, and countless others. Most have a usable time of between 1 to 2 hours before charging. That's a lot of blowing! However, the TV has an offer of a Two-For One deal, so you could plug one in while using the other!(try to buy made in S.Korea or Taiwan (ROC), more reliable products than PRC, whatever the brand name.

Step 2) Hire Neighbours Kid with blower, go to nearest bar, ball game, visit mistress etc....Claim special attention for exhaution when Wife/ girlfriend/significant other returns to see yard leaf free!

Step 3) pay kid extra for keeping mouth shut and supporting story.

marcopolo

7circle
7circle's picture

Sorry Dauntless - the little B/D is worth showing.
Black and Decker 18V
Voltage - 18.0 V
Air Speed - 120 Max mph
Weight - 3.5 lbs
18V Hard Surface Sweeper

The B/D "High performance" LeafHog 12 Amp High Performance 240 mph Blower/Vacuum

I'm sure the petrol backpack council units are breaking the sound barrier causing sonic booms...

So the B/D looks a little under powered with wind power out a tiny pipe of 120mph Max (likely much less)

I'm sure the pruduct has sucked in lots of grannies (like my my mum with a wimpy cheap cordless wipper snipper)

davew
davew's picture

Another valid question is why use leaf blowers at all? I can see raking and sweeping. These can gather the debris into piles for composting or other appropriate disposal. Leaf blowers just push things around. I imagine this works fine until all you neighbors get leaf blowers too then I just see endless blower battles. I honestly think it is a complicated, heavy, energy wasting, inferior replacement for a broom.

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"

marcopolo

Another valid question is why use leaf blowers at all? I can see raking and sweeping. These can gather the debris into piles for composting or other appropriate disposal. Leaf blowers just push things around. I imagine this works fine until all you neighbors get leaf blowers too then I just see endless blower battles. I honestly think it is a complicated, heavy, energy wasting, inferior replacement for a broom.

But that would take away all the joy of the average suburbanite playing with power tools! C'mon the leaf blower battles are the only fun these guys have on Sunday morning! Don't be such a kill joy!

Me, I still prefer to pay the kid. Sunday morning in the coffe shop with all those women whose husbands are indulging in the leaf battles.....

marcopolo

Dauntless

Sorry Dauntless . . . I'm sure the pruduct has sucked in lots of grannies (like my my mum with a wimpy cheap cordless wipper snipper)

What's to be sorry about? So there was some $40 socalled turbocharger for sale online that I posted on a racing messageboard, and some guy said he thought his LEAFBLOWER could probably bring more power to his car. We could pit that one against the Black and Decker.

Meanwhile, I got yer leafblower right here. It'll put your leaves AND your neighbors in the yard 3 houses down while you're standing on your front porch, and give the block that Steven Spielberg windblown look while you're at it.

http://www.amazon.com/Vornado-733B-High-Velocity-Whole-Room-Circulator/dp/B000MI3HJQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=127760...

WHo dares, WINS!!!!

antiscab

What's to be sorry about? So there was some $40 socalled turbocharger for sale online that I posted on a racing messageboard, and some guy said he thought his LEAFBLOWER could probably bring more power to his car. We could pit that one against the Black and Decker.

hahaha yes ive seen those aswell.
little computer fans covering the intake.
it is amazing what people will believe.

I have heard of a few successful electric supercharging setups.
Those ones use compressors that are either run direct and rated to ~10kw, or use a reservoir.

Matt

Daily Ride:
2007 Vectrix, modified with 42 x Thundersky 60Ah in July 2010. Done 194'000km

davew
davew's picture

Me, I still prefer to pay the kid. Sunday morning in the coffe shop with all those women whose husbands are indulging in the leaf battles.....

Actually me too. I'm in the coffee shop most Sunday's playing games with my wife. Let the battles go on without me.

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"

marcopolo

Actually me too. I'm in the coffee shop most Sunday's playing games with my wife. Let the battles go on without me.

Sigh, Americans! What can you do with them? In Europe it is positively uncivilised to be with your own wife! Hmmm.. I suppose you could divorce and then carry on with your games? No? Ah well,... c'est l'gurre, each to his own, carry on mon ami!Bravo!

marcopolo

7circle
7circle's picture

Hey brooms/rakes are great. Good point. So is getting from A 2B under your own power.

If it is a Vacuum-Mulcher not just a blower then its got my thumbs up.

I would just like to pose the idea that a Mains powered Vac/Blower/Mulcher of 1500W would do the job well running off a (edit and inverter as I posted earlier) 48V LiFePO4 10Ahr pack for 20 min while the spare pack is charging (done and toppedup 20 min).

And if they were the same battery packs used in your bike/scooter (or part of you car pack) then it would cost anything extra.
If we end up having batteries sitting around doing zip then they will be just 'decaying'.

(edit - added inverter comments )

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage