First time custom build using Indiana General dc motor

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
daxter409
First time custom build using Indiana General dc motor

I would like to get as much advice as possible about powering and controlling the motor on this bicycle.

This is the first time I have built an electric bicycle. So far I have welded a 5 inch gear to the rear axel and constructed a platform on a bike rack to mount the motor in place. I am planning on using 2 12 volt 12 amp-hour lead acid batteries in series to power the 24 volt 8.8 amp indiana general motor which runs at 800 rpm.

My question is, what kind of throttle should i use, like would it be okay to use a pushbutton, or should i use something different. I do not want to use a standard controller, i want something simple (and cheap) for this first time project.

Here is a picture of the motor configuration:

IMG_2340.JPG

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

procrastination inc
procrastination inc's picture
Re: First time custom build using Indiana General dc motor

Have you worked out how fast the wheel will be spinning at that motor speed?

Maybe you want a bigger wheel sprocket or intermediate gearing to slow it down a bit.

Mik
Mik's picture

It's hard to see much detail in the photos - but this motor looks way oversized for the bike!

That may just be me, I have never built an ebike so far.

I think it is going to rip the bike to shreds!

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

daxter409

It has been a while since I last posted, but to answer the question posted about the bike's top speed, I calculated it to be about 25 mph, without any resistance, but more realistically it would be about 20 mph. On the topic of motor size, the way it appears in the picture may be decieving. The bike is resting on its kickstand, leaning twoards the camera, making the motor look bigger because it is closer. It is actually 4 inches in diameter and 6 inches long.
I have another question about throttle control too. I was thinking that if i wired the two 12 volt batteries in parallel for a low setting, and had another set of wires connecting them in series for a high speed setting, both being connected at the same but only one running the motor at a time. Would this be a safe and effective way of having two speed settings, each circuit being attached to a simple on/off pushbutton? I have one more question about having such a sudden switch to on from a slow rolling start, like I would have with pushbutton control. Would this burn out the motor, or would the motor be able to handle it?

strawhistle

HI 1. your motor is not to big . 2 (In the old days) before controllers we used a hard board 4 bolts -nuts and a coat hanger wire (Check in old closets) put 2-3 holes in the board equi distant apart loosely install bolts-nuts cut off the hook of the hanger and bend the wire into a WW curve with equal lengths for legs hook the ends and the middle loops onto the bolts. The first bolt gets wire from battery + and wire to the first pole of a single pole double throw switch ,a wire to the positive pole of the motor goes to the center (common) switch pole, and a wire from the other outside pole of the switch to one of the other bolts (you can play with this till you find the best length of steal wire to give you a comfortable starting current or full on. Change the length of hanger wire to finely adjust the set up. One thing, this is a resistance control and will use up a lot of energy in heating that wire HOT but you only use it to start! ! LaTeR

thank GOD I wake up above ground !!!!

Dauntless

So the simplest way I could think of is something like the slot car controllers when I was a kid. Mainly it was just a trigger loaded contact that moved across a coil to change the current, and the car would go faster. I remember people putting these on the back of RC controllers to work their throttle. Not sure how big a coil you'd need.

That battery switch you're talking about is used in the movies. A very time honored setup that I guess has been falling by the wayside but still very much in use at the moment is basically two car batteries in a box with a 4 pin XLR connector. When the switch is in the middle you get 24v for the camera, to either side gives 12v for other equipment but from only one battery. When that's dead you switch to the other.

People build their own and DEMAND the production rent theirs, kit rentals being some major graft in Hollywood. Some of these people don't know what they were doing, and POP, a fuse was blown --- If you were lucky. If not, a piece of equipment was down. I like to say that wiring elecricity is NO TIME FOR CREATIVITY!

WHo dares, WINS!!!!

pengyou

Yes...but at some point the word "relay" should enter your mind. voltage creates heat, and what you are trying to do by regulating the speed is create a resister that will do it for you.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage