Neutralizing the white powder that leaks from lead-acid batteries?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
reikiman
reikiman's picture
Neutralizing the white powder that leaks from lead-acid batteries?

Suppose you had a scooter sit idle for a couple years. You didn't charge the batteries terribly often, and one of the batteries starts growing one of those poofs of white powder. You open up the scooter and find a bit of the powder at the bottom of the battery compartment. Additionally there's some rust and peeling paint.

That's what has happened with my EVT 4000. The amount of this white powder isn't very much.

I'm assuming the powder is some sort of acid?

Recommendations?

(BTW the rusted parts I know how to handle - get a grinder, grind the rust away, then paint with rustoleum)

strawhistle
Re: Neutralizing the white powder that leaks from lead-acid ...

One good way to remove sulfuric acid bloom is with baking soda dissolved in a little water ! Just don't get any soda water into the batteries ! then sand blast the rust and paint LaTeR

thank GOD I wake up above ground !!!!

Dauntless
Re: Neutralizing the white powder that leaks from lead-acid ...

First of all, that's lead sulfate/corroded lead. A form of white lead, which WAS a very durable lubricant used in heavy equipment, helped paint to last, etc. That's one of those illegal substances in most of the world. It's considered toxic merely by contact. The baking soda and water will do much to remedy that, but it only becomes less unfriendly, it's still lead. Do clean out everything that powder has been in contact with.

Did you have any sign of this powder before you put the bike away? Before you charged it again? Among the reasons the powder might be there:

Overcharging - Odd thing about a battery not knowing when it's charged as it gets older. Or maybe your charger was overcharging since it was new. But this will cause a built up of hydrogen gas, and that will force its' way out and carry some acid with it, and the terminals will get in the way. I'd think a car was much more likely to overcharge a battery than an electric recharger for your scooter, the voltage regulators just aren't all that reliable.

Bad connection between the post and the terminal, etc. - That arcing corrodes the post.

A leak between the battery post and the case - When the vehicle is moving the acid inside can slosh around. You hit a bump, the weight of the battery and the cable clamped to the terminal cause them to move in different directions for a moment, it gets messier and messier.

Other things can cause corrosion even when everything is working properly. Most notably the weather; high humidity, especially around salt water. Even ordinary dirt. Remember, this is metal conducting elecricity, any contaminant makes it worse.

So I like to be dusting baking soda on the battery of my cars and trucks regularly. I mean without getting it wet. But I do clean it with baking soda and water from time to time.

WHo dares, WINS!!!!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage