Est Range - problems with the sudden value Change

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
mikemitbike
mikemitbike's picture
Est Range - problems with the sudden value Change

Hi there,
reading this and other forums, and the german handbook saying "geschätzte RESTreichweite" which means
estimated range LEFT, i get the opinion that many people belive the gauge tells you how many km hou have
left during a ride. This seems to be wrong. The behaviour of the gauge is mor like it tells you the total
range of your bike with a fully loadet battery, analysing your driving habits during your ride.
This Week i rode a 25 km trip with my girlfriend, about 25 km with nearly no stops, braking, or acelerating.
after the first 5 km the "est range" was pending around 50 km during my 20km Ride and not counting down.
on another trip i had ridden the Bike about 35 km and the est-range showed 48 km, so i started a trip to
work, but had to turn around to charge the Bike after 8km ( see Mon, 07/19/2010 - 02:01 ). I noticed this
behaviour of the est-range 3 times before but without
the red battery light

AndY1
AndY1's picture
Re: Est Range - problems with the sudden value Change

It really does try to show the estimated range with the rest of the battery. If you drive with the same speed all the time, the number will decrease with each km done.

kingcharles
kingcharles's picture

And I have seen it go down to 0 on deep discharge rides

Once you go EV, Gas is history!

mikemitbike
mikemitbike's picture

Well my bike does it´s firts EQ Charge after the last battery-revision.
It did nearly 1600 km since the revision. maybe my "rangeometer" and
the battery gauge will start to behave as they should.

Greetings Mike

AndY1
AndY1's picture

I did a first 'until the red battery telltale' discharge yesterday, since I got my new battery and new firmware in July 2009 and I couldn't be happier with the condition of my battery.

There was no Voltage Depression at all, just my battery gauge was out of sync. So much, that I got red battery telltale at 10 bars full (until yesterday my full charge completed at 142V), but I was expecting it, because I was nearing 120V.

I drove home with 1km within red battery telltale, battery voltage was at 120V and my battery temperature was only 1°C higher than it was when I started the ride - 38km done in one trip.

Battery temperature, when I started charging was 24°C and charger at CP151. Charging completed at exactly 17 bars and 2 additional minutes when voltage jumped from 151V to 152V - cut-off voltage. I let it do the CC and then disconnected the plug. I didn't let it do any EQ phase - it would heat up the battery.
I was already fully geared up to take a ride immediately after finishing the charge so I would consume extra charge, which would otherwise turn to heat. It was 22:00 hours, 15°C outside, I drove 20km and consumed 3 bars. When I arrived home, the temperature dropped 1°C from when I started, but I still plugged the bike in for 1 hour pre-charge cooling delay to additionally cool down the battery to 24°C - only to cool down the battery, no additional charging was done and left it sitting until morning for a drive to work.

Battery was showing as very healthy even when charging. At 8 bars full, it reached 144V and was slowly climbing up to 148V up to the 16 bars.

I did 53km since full charge, battery gauge is showing 8 bars full and battery still had a healthy 131V (with Voltage sag) left when I arrived home.

I'm happy happy happy!

I'm following TheLairds advice; I ride no more than 70km/h, I accelerate gently, I regenerate gently (only at 13- battery bars), keep the battery cool (below 30°C, 99% of the time below 27°C, 90% of the time below 25°C), charge mostly only up to 13-14 battery bars (timer set at 5:00-6:00 AM), full charge only for longer trips. I never did a full discharge for 1 year, only EQ charges. I know, that my battery gauge was heavily out of sync, but I relied on my experience with the bike and the voltage and I was never left stranded.

Mik
Mik's picture

There was no Voltage Depression at all, just my battery gauge was out of sync.

I am not sure how you know this? Unless you actually ask serious power off the battery, the voltage depression will not matter and will not be obvious! Because you never drive fast or accelerate hard, you simply would not know!

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

AndY1
AndY1's picture

True. But, do you think 1C power consumption (aprox. 70km/h) is not enough for Voltage Depression to show up?

I've seen Duracell document (which, unfortunately isn't there anymore) showing Voltage Depression curves done at 1C discharge.

Mik
Mik's picture

True. But, do you think 1C power consumption (aprox. 70km/h) is not enough for Voltage Depression to show up?

I've seen Duracell document (which, unfortunately isn't there anymore) showing Voltage Depression curves done at 1C discharge.

I think you might just pull the throttle a little harder without being aware of it.

The only reliably reproducible throttle positions are off, full regen and full throttle. For everything in-between you will unconsciously compensate.

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

mikemitbike
mikemitbike's picture

Hi,
on 28.08.2010 I did some little trips around my place without recharging. Rather hilly terain around my girlfriends home. As the battery
was getting empty i decidet to do a reset. I gentle drove the bike along small roads and managed to reach home 300m after the red battery
light lit (half way cruising). Turned off the bike to reset the battery gauge and started charging. I charged only 3,9 KwH (about 4/5) and
left the bike at its place. next day I drove another 12 km and charged completely using 1,4 KwH and left it as I didn´t need it for the next
days (visiting Vienna/U2 concert on monday). On 01.09 I activated the bike again for a trip to Linz (44,6 km). It was a little bit scary
since the battery gauge and the est-range have become quite accurate, but I was still used to the behaviour that the gauge showed 50% charge
left on such trips and not about 3 bars...
The bike decidet to do an EQ-charge during the evening charge (est. time 3 hours) which I had to interupt after 2 hours for my afterwork trip
home. Since then the gauge is very accurat, the EST-range-values don´t jump up and down that heavy any more and the fully charged bike does
not show 110 km range, it shows about 60 km which is the range with my curent driving habits.
another thing canged: Before that the bike usually showed full charges around 145v and stayed cooler, now it charges to 148-150 and has a little
more temp. but the nights are cool and I don´t matter now.

Greetings mike

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage