Giant LaFree Bicycle SLA Battery Conversion Question

1 post / 0 new
lastactionhero2010
Giant LaFree Bicycle SLA Battery Conversion Question

Hello - I'm hoping someone here can help me with this. We have 3 Giant LaFree bicycles - they are currently powered by the regular battery pack that came with them - which hold 2 - 12 v 12 Ah batteries - as they are normally set up with the circuit board or whatever than monitors the power left etc. (I'm a newbie to this so I'm not sure what everything is called.) I've not found the packs anywhere for replacement - at least not at a price I'm willing or able to pay. I am looking for a battery that is lighter weight and will go for longer duration (distance and number of cycles for charging). I've read that LifePo batteries are the 'new thing' but I'm not sure I can fit those into the pack that is required to be used for easy in/out charging etc.

What I'm looking for is info first of all - can I switch this bicycle to the lighter weight more efficient battery that will fit into the current battery pack and be able to use it with the charging system that is set up on the bike? (I like all the 'electronic' monitoring etc. that is currently available on the bike - like the brake cut out, throttle lock on control, etc.) I don't HAVE to have faster speeds - because we can't exceed a set speed by law in our state anyway and we want to ride w/o having to get licenses etc. - but longer distance would be a plus per battery and if lighter weight - we'd like to be able to switch to a reserve battery for added distance as well (or carry as many as 4 batteries to really go long distances w/o recharging.)

The other thing I would then need is the 'how to' do this. We are somewhat proficient in how to do this - just that I am not the one who would be doing it - my husband and son would be.

If anyone has any tips on this - or plans on how to do these things - then it would be great.

Thanks so much & God bless!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage