Where is everyone located?

164 posts / 0 new
Last post
HubCap
Re: Where is everyone located?

Salisbury, England, UK. Mine's blue, with about 4000 miles on the clock, used every day in hilly countryside. Bought in July 2007 (having ridden a prototype) and recently loaded with the 70mph software - way faster accelleration too.. There is another one (silver) that sometimes parks in Salisbury, but I have not managed to meet the owner yet. I've owned motorcyles for 38 yeears and this is the only one I still love after 3 years. I usually get the one-year itch... Riding my other bike, a Honda ST1100, seems like riding a tractor firing on 3 cyllinders after the V!

Never actually met another vectrix owner :-(

Are we all going to put ourselves on a google map?

Keep it shiny side up!

Juiced
Juiced's picture

OOPS, NM

DesGilmore
DesGilmore's picture

I'm in Belfast N Ireland. Own 2007 Silver Vectrix with about 800 miles on the clock.
In use every day so far to & from work about 25 miles round trip. Does about 2 days without charge
as I try to always take it to empty (I suffer a lot from Range anxiety!) I live in very hilly area
starting at 300m down to 30m up again to 500m & down to 20m all in a run of about 7 miles.
Confuses the range meter no end! Have seen Range meter at 19 miles & 815 miles on same journey!
Also think I saw another Vectrix 2 days ago although I can't be certain!

Saw the trip meter change from mileage to display "CanBus" & then the "Spanner" symbol appeared
on the dash lights, both only for a few seconds today during a run. Anyone ever seen this before?
Hope its not a harbinger of trouble to come!

DesG

R
R's picture

Does about 2 days without charge
as I try to always take it to empty

Terribly wrong strategy. this kills the pack at fast pace!
Mik has shown real evidence that cell reversal is possible at only 122v!!.
http://visforvoltage.org/forum/8406-how-would-you-diagnose-and-restore-vectrix-battery#comment-54329
Suggestion: Never let the pack empty , maximum just once per month to recalibrate the gauge.
And ensure you have the latest firmware with EQ.
Lubo Ebiker
Lubo Ebiker's picture

Lubo Ebiker. TORONTO, ON, CANADA.

Lubo Ebiker. E-bike upgrades, sales and service in Toronto. http://EbikerLubo.BlogSpot.com

sparker

With regards to discharging to red regularly, I'm not sure this is such a bad strategy with the new limits the Oct 08 firmware puts on the battery charge and discharge PROVIDED the ambient temperature is cool enough to keep the cell temperature down. Here in the UK my average battery temp at the moment is between 14 - 26 degrees (the higher after an 8 hour equalisation charge). With this consideration, I'm coming at this from a different angle - surely it is advantageous for the software to have an accurate SOC of the battery as often as possible. Discharging to the red frequently must help - correct me if I'm wrong as I'd hate to give any wrong advice. The less you do the discharge to the red would you not need to limit the charge and discharge more to allow for a possibly out of balance battery?

Also, don't worry about the Canbus message - this is a bug and crops up a couple of times a month. It usually lasts about a minute and then disappears.

DesGilmore
DesGilmore's picture

OK
Thanks excellent dialogue & great input here ( & plenty of varying opinions with regard to charging/discharging cycles!)
To add my pennyworth I used to do some work with rechargable batteries (NiCds, NiMhs, Lions LiPos etc. & of course the good old lead acid) a few years ago & have built a few different types of chargers, as electronics is also my main hobby.
It's been my experience to note that they all behave slightly differently under different charge conditions.
I have never witnessed a cell polarity reversal in NiMhs just below 1.2v unless the voltage
drops below about 0.1v. or part of the battery has failed.

When this happens the NiMhs can sometimes pack in as the chemical process has exhausted & it may be difficult to re-start
it at this level, although not impossible. But usually the damage is done & although the cell may be able to be "jump" recharged
it is usually irreparably damaged. I have to admit that my experience with very high current drain batteries as on the Vectrix
is rather "limited", but I would assume the physics would be true for all NiMhs unless there are other factors operating.
Having said this I'm even more curious about "R" s forum comment below. Please tell me more!

"...Does about 2 days without charge
>as I try to always take it to empty
>
Terribly wrong strategy. this kills the pack at fast pace!
Mik has shown real evidence that cell reversal is possible at only 122v!!.
http://visforvoltage.org/forum/8406-how-would-you-diagnose-and-restore-vectrix-battery#comment-54329
Suggestion: Never let the pack empty , maximum just once per month to recalibrate the gauge.
And ensure you have the latest firmware with EQ...."

Taking a NiMh battery below its nominal 1.2v (i.e. 100 x 1.2v = 120v on the Vectrix) should not damage the battery in any
way as this would be the norm for NiMh discharge. Fully charged NiMh should show about 1.46v or better ( 100 x 1.46v = 146v on the Vectrix.) My own Vectrix seems to vary a little with the CP showing either 152v or 153v while full re-charge display shows between 142v to 149v (Engine kill on, left brake held).
I have noted that there seems to be some type of protection circuitry in the Vectrix to stop continuous discharge below a certain
point as the "engine" will slow down to prevent undue discharge. If you read the voltage at this time it has always been above 1.2v ( Vectrix 120v) --- so far! Anyone else notice anything different? (Anyone taken it to "cut -off" point & measured voltage immediately?)

Living in Belfast, N Ireland charging temperature has never been a problem, (nor probably ever will be!) as I have never seen it over 22c even after a hard ride with fast discharge. (Would like some comments on this especially from users in hot countries!)
Lithium Ion & Lithium Polymer (Lions & LiPos) batteries work slightly differently from NiMhs, are lighter & have a nominal voltage of 3.7v, so I'm not sure how many of these there are in the Vectrix for a 125v system (34? ). Anyone got a Lion "batteried" Vectrix
out there? Also be interested to know if the Vectrix charger is different for these as they can suffer from cell balancing problems.
There's a very interesting guide on GP website ( below) wrt rechargable batteries especially NiMh batteries.
Its basic, but nevertheless has useful guidance. Paragraphs 10 -23 are most useful. I'm sure the charger which Vectrix
uses takes care of all the charging problems. It certainly costs enough to replace!

DesG

israndy
israndy's picture

>Are we all going to put ourselves on a google map?

You mean like http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=113037331506318097436.000491ff88e8b0691f5e0

Hopefully everyone can edit it...

-Randy

Brutus

I'm in Bendigo, Victoria, Australia.

Anyone within Vectrix distance of me?

Drew
Drew's picture

>Are we all going to put ourselves on a google map?

You mean like http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=113037331506318097436.000491ff88e8b0691f5e0

Hopefully everyone can edit it...

-Randy

Randy, you may need to set the map to 'editable by anyone' - or something similar as I have tried to edit my pointer and can't. The 'right click' on pointer does bring up a list of options, one of which is 'edit...' but it's currently greyed out. Nice work though, well done!

Best wishes,

Drew

Drew

mikemitbike
mikemitbike's picture

Great work Randy, thank you!
Greetings Mike

israndy
israndy's picture

I'm in Bendigo, Victoria, Australia.

Anyone within Vectrix distance of me?

Does not look like it. Updated the map and London or Amsterdam would be where you will want to live if you wanna bike to a friend's. I could maybe get to Lisa in Newark, CA, but I would be on FUMES when I got there. The most isolated? I would guess ngungs in Cape Town or ESSCONM LEE in Shanghai, but he has the shortest drive to Gold Peak for more batteries.

-Randy

israndy
israndy's picture

Randy, you may need to set the map to 'editable by anyone' - or something similar as I have tried to edit my pointer and can't. The 'right click' on pointer does bring up a list of options, one of which is 'edit...' but it's currently greyed out.

Yeah, I see that too unless I click on it in My Maps and next to collaborate in the upper left I click Edit. Of course that is when logged in as me, and I created the map. Let me know what you see. I edited it this morning to include everyone's name and then sorted by name.

-Randy

DesGilmore
DesGilmore's picture

OK
Good work on maps ISRANDY

Managed to get into GOOGLE Maps & moved place marker to corrected address in Belfast.
Also changed blue place marker to little green motorcycle (thought it more appropiate!)
Still can't edit to upload photo of any other relevant info'
Anyone know how to do this?

DesG

Drew
Drew's picture

OK
Good work on maps ISRANDY

Managed to get into GOOGLE Maps & moved place marker to corrected address in Belfast.
Also changed blue place marker to little green motorcycle (thought it more appropiate!)
Still can't edit to upload photo of any other relevant info'
Anyone know how to do this?

Ok,I have done the same - well done Randy, it works. As I have also changed my location to make it a bit more precise and so I thought I'd copy DesGilmore's idea of changing the icon to a green motorbike - how appropriate! Good choice Des! All you have to do is follow click the edit command (top left of screen, just as Randy pointed out) and then all the markers become re-positionable. Don't worry, if you accidentally grab someone else's marker and reposition it, there is a short chance to 'undo' the move which appears as a small link at the bottom of the screen. At the same time, the pop up window that appears next to the marker allows you to change the position marker icon.

Maybe it's a good way to show that you've updated your own details by changing the icon to the green motorbike? Maybe that's just too complicated!? Oh well, It works really well now. Well done Randy.

Best wishes,

Drew

Drew

R
R's picture

well done. I've already put my position.. over 40 vectrix in barcelona and only two on the map...

duca

I'm in Campagnano di Roma Italy, little north of Rome.
In and around Rome there should be at least some 10 Vectrix plus some in the Milan area and some in Bologna which I know of.

Ciao

israndy
israndy's picture

I'm in Campagnano di Roma Italy, little north of Rome.
In and around Rome there should be at least some 10 Vectrix plus some in the Milan area and some in Bologna which I know of.

Ciao

Get them to join the group so they can be added to the map. Don't want the map to become a Vectrix tracker "I saw a Vectrix HERE". Also we shouldn't put the marker at our address. Just mark your town so that any thieves will have to steal your mayor's bike and won't be lead to yours.

-Randy

piersdad

New Zealand
the county where we are so far from the crowd we have a culture of
'if i dont have it and what i want is on the other side of the world then i have to make it myself'
in this vein i made my own electric commutor car--hybrid sports car - electric truck-- and now in retirement have a 22km/h mobility scooter.
i look at what a trades man does.
buy the tools
learn how it is done
get the job done at 1/4 the cost and have the tools and skills as a bonus
i now have $30,000 worth of tools and saved over 60 years some $100,000 in tradesmens wages/fees

the impossible immediately miracles take a little longer

eyeinthesky
eyeinthesky's picture

New Zealand
the county where we are so far from the crowd we have a culture of
'if i dont have it and what i want is on the other side of the world then i have to make it myself'
in this vein i made my own electric commutor car--hybrid sports car - electric truck-- and now in retirement have a 22km/h mobility scooter.
i look at what a trades man does.
buy the tools
learn how it is done
get the job done at 1/4 the cost and have the tools and skills as a bonus
i now have $30,000 worth of tools and saved over 60 years some $100,000 in tradesmens wages/fees

Jeez! ...they let anyone on this forum......you have the Talent mister but your lost!!
this is a VECTRIX SITE...Oh and when I am old I will make a 110kph mobility trike
...... from Vectrix bits

Brutus

Was riding in Bendigo yesterday and pulled out in front of an identical silver vectrix - we rode down the highway together for several kms - so there are two of us here!

robert93
robert93's picture

this is a VECTRIX SITE...

More specifically, this is a vectrix thread on an EV Forum.... right neighborhood, just a different street...
(friendly wave to an explorer)

NullPointer

Brookeville, Maryland, USA; near Washington, DC. 2+ years, 6100 miles. 2007 Vectrix with latest 68mph software. Daily commute is 28 miles round-trip at 30-45 mph which gives me a red battery light about once a week depending on acceleration, temp, wind etc. Not sure about the health of the battery, bike is fine otherwise.

doublem

Frankfurt, Germany.

mikemitbike
mikemitbike's picture

New Zealand

Hi Piersdad,
welcome to the forum.
Maybe your experience can help us in this thread: Battery-balance-monitor

Greetings Mike

piersdad

got lost in the huge site here
just about found out where i am.
so will find the appropiate place to post

the impossible immediately miracles take a little longer

R
R's picture

Pierspad,

got lost in the huge site here
just about found out where i am.
so will find the appropiate place to post

You're wellcome here. Maybe you can help us in finding a BMS for the vectrix NIMH batteries.
oguitar

Albuquerque
New Mexico
USA

CamasMatt

I'm in Camas, Washington, USA (across the river from Portland Oregon). I bought a used 2007 but don't know much about its history (I think it was a repo). Currently has ~5000 miles and compromised range, but I can still make it to work and back if I charge at work.

Matt

CamasMatt

raytheham
raytheham's picture

Pity the maps not working.I live in Grove, near Oxford, have only seen one other Vectrix around Oxford and that was outside a conventional scooter dealers shop. Mine has done 6000 miles, latest go-faster software, always run the batery down to the red light at least once a month. Centre stand, winter windscreen, Givi top box, love it to bits, can't wait fro Lion battery to get more range as I can,t charge it at work. Slow ish crawl to work at 45max, belt it on the way home, one slight hill, when I can, range averages about 32-38 on these parameters.

Regards all
Ray

Ray

Pages

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage