How many vectrix reached 30.000km?

224 posts / 0 new
Last post
mikemitbike
mikemitbike's picture
Re: How many vectrix reached 30.000km?

Hi, I put it to: Upgrade Wishlist
as I can´t find the actual Firmware-Wishlist thread.
Greetings Mike

I sent this to MIK, it addresses what I have experienced as the main shortcomings of my vectrix....

...Owners and SERVICE manuals should be readily available.--
These changes could transform the present bike into a truly GREAT Scooter!---Bob Curry

5 mins later just found it: Vectrix firmware upgrade feature list - list your own

turok
turok's picture

Hi all,

didn't keep up on reading for just a couple of weeks, and missed this very amusing conversation :-)

Just_Looking, you are funny (with all respect), you embody about 98% of the people I come across when they notice the "electric" sign on the V :-)

Put it in perspective: ICE has been developed to it's limit over the past 100 years. But it's history. Electricity is the way to go.
And of course, there MUST be some flaws in a completely new vehicle of its kind.
I call myself lucky with almost two years of ownership and 7500 km on the first pack. It has a perfect range for me: 45 to 70km on a charge (depends on my mood :-))
I had my fuse swapped after blowing the 125A, and my instrument panel has been replaced due to a memory error.
cost until now: purchase of the bike + 70€ insurance/year + no road tax + some watts + NOTHING else!

I'm still baffled about my V, and to me, even the newest, expensiest BMW or any other ICE bike has ANY value left. I already see them as extinct.
Ill only swap my Vectrix for a better Vectrix.

Just_Looking, You're just not ready for it, you WANT this bike to suck.. you'd better wait a few years before buying anything electric dude :-)
Just go test one, or get over it.

D

"doing nothin = doing nothing wrong" is invalid when the subject is environment

Mik
Mik's picture

[quote=just_looking..
The bike does not do what it claims, clearly here only one person was able to get to 33,000 km on one battery, and then it had to be changed the electronics don’t seem able to do their job properly either by what other posters have been saying.
...[/quote]
I understand Grillinos comment as meaning that hie last battery has gone for 33,000km and is still going without problems.

But, it's on flat ground - which makes a huge difference.

This information may be used entirely at your own risk.

There is always a way if there is no other way!

Mik
Mik's picture

Not being pedantic (OK a little!) BUT the 33,000 km is on the 2nd battery - which is still going strong. It would appear the 1st battery only did 13,000 km before it needed to be changed. True, it did need to be changed but the point is that the 2nd one is still going strong, probably after the Oct 08 update but that's only my speculation.

I might be wrong about this, but I'm quite convinced that Grillino had several batteries replaced before the current one with 33,000km. It might be his third or fourth battery all-up.

R
R's picture

I might be wrong about this, but I'm quite convinced that Grillino had several batteries replaced before the current one with 33,000km. It might be his third or fourth battery all-up.

I've traced grillino75's posts. He never mentions if it had several replacements or just one. I'll send him a message to find out.
rewski
What current bikes do you think might be as good or better?

http://www.brammo.com/empulse/

The Brammo Empulse is NOT a current bike. Won't be available until next summer.

Adam

Adam - Denver, CO
2007 Vectrix VX-1 charged with the power of the sun = zero carbon footprint

Mik
Mik's picture

Ooops - double post.

grillino75

sorry for my english..
i tell the life of my vectrix ...
at march 2008 i buy a vectrix used (2007 model)with 900 km, it was a motorcycle test .after 6000km the vectrix store in Rome changed all battery at all vectrix because some model took fire for a problem with a connector of the battery. my vectrix was ok no problem .
during the other 7000 km no problem, but with old software i can't delay the charge ,so sometime I warmed up too
the battery (with lighting the temperature light),my range was always 50-55 km at 65-70 km/h .
with the new software the range become 35-40 km at 65-70 km/h (maybe I damaged some cell)or maybe the new software does not allow the battery to discharge as before .

however my work is at 36 km from my house and i I could not use it. so they dicided to change my battery!!
after 33000km the range is always 57-65km at 65-70 km /h and no problem.

R
R's picture

The Brammo Empulse is NOT a current bike. Won't be available until next summer.

That's true. And a launching in next summer is quite optimistic. In 2012 would be more feasible...
Any other candidates?

R
R's picture

after 6000km the vectrix store in Rome changed all battery at all vectrix because some model took fire for a problem with a connector of the battery.

I had this mandatory replacement also. My battery was fine. Is suspect they found out about the cell unbalancement, and they realized that the very first batteries would not last more than 10.000 km. A general battery replacement gave them time to improve the firmware.

but with old software i can't delay the charge ,so sometime I warmed up too
the battery (with lighting the temperature light)

We know that symptoms: Too much heat inside the battery usually means cell unbalancement... damaged battery.

with the new software the range become 35-40 km at 65-70 km/h (maybe I damaged some cell)or maybe the new software does not allow the battery to discharge as before .

I also experienced this range reduction due to this increase in the safety voltage (firmware oct 2008). Some users in barcelona wanted to install the previous Firmware to gain more range, but the battery would have got faster damage...

after 33000km the range is always 57-65km at 65-70 km /h and no problem.

1st replacement 6000 km
2nd replacement 7000 km
33.000 km on the last battery...
There's another user in madrid with 30.000 km
just_looking

Aircon

Like I said I do understand that position for you it is in your opinion the best for what you want a vehicle to do.

Just the same as some people will be happy commuting on roller skates, for them the skates are the best thing that suits their transport needs.

Toys can be extremely useful so don’t be miffed over the name, I have had many real motorcycles I considered toys even though they were extremely useful.

just_looking

sparker

You have hit the nail on the head when you speak of the tax incentives in the UK which are zero, the £15 pound you save on road tax does not warrant spending thousands on a bike that is so restricted in the UK.

Perhaps in the USA with the tax breaks being offered it makes good sense but like I said before, in the UK the govt would rather two wheelers didn’t exist at all.

So this bike is very much a toy in the UK and not much else because it is in fact a very expensive toy due to the limitations of the use of it.

Oh and let’s not forget, most adults have toys it’s just that they are often very useful toys.

just_looking

sparker

You have hit the nail on the head when you speak of the tax incentives in the UK which are zero, the £15 pound you save on road tax does not warrant spending thousands on a bike that is so restricted in the UK.

Perhaps in the USA with the tax breaks being offered it makes good sense but like I said before, in the UK the govt would rather two wheelers didn’t exist at all.

So this bike is very much a toy in the UK and not much else because it is in fact a very expensive toy due to the limitations of the use of it.

Oh and let’s not forget, most adults have toys it’s just that they are often very useful toys.

just_looking

snail

like for example the very excellent Varadero)

Well yes if you look at the top of the range 125cc motorcycle then the most expensive money wise do compare, but you can do a lot more with a veradero and you're not limited to around 35 miles, and the only reason it is limited to 65 mph is becuase of the law on 15 bhp.

But I agree that for some the vectrix is a good alternative if you live in the USA and you claim your tax breaks on it, plus you have dealers on your door step then i suspect its not such a bad idea.

But it is not a motorcycle that makes sense at the moment at the price it is at.

Come to think of it I don't like the verado 125cc.

sparker

Hey, someone just told me that you can get ICE petrol bikes! Apparently they can go,like 400 - 500 miles on a tank of fuel and 180 mph! That's absolutely perfect for my 6 mile commute to work along winding country lanes. Of course, I will probably have to take a different, longer route to take advantage of all that power so my journey will be doubled in distance but I'm sure it will be worth it. I also get to make extra journeys to the petrol station, earn points for the extra fuel I buy and go home happy that I'm contributing to the wealth of the poor far east. If I get enough points I can get a free car blanket! Talk about win, win. I suppose I ought to take one for a test ride but I've also been told about a new way of finding out about these things - go on to forums where owners frequent, ask people what the plus points are and then tell them what a bad decision they've made to see if they are telling the truth, the poor deluded souls - much easier than ACTUALLY taking myself out for a test ride.

If, on the off chance, that I decide that this isn't suitable for me, perhaps I can get hold of some ICE roller skates to commute to work on or perhaps a skateboard or some other 'toy'. I'm sure this approach will yield some positive advice.

Talk about the inconvenience of those Vectrix electric thingys - after a trip out this morning I actually had to delay my entry into the house to lift the seat and plug the darn thing into a power supply to charge it. My arm is still aching from all that effort!

(I was going to apologise about going off topic BUT as the title of this thread is about Vectrix going over 30,000, the majority of the posts have been unrelated AND at least I own one!)

Mik
Mik's picture

Tataaa, Tataaa, Tataaa!

Good one, Sparker!

mikemitbike
mikemitbike's picture

Sparker: 10 Points of 10 available!

So back to topic: I´m using Vectrix (since Okt 2008) and an old Fiat Panda Elektra (since Apr. 2010) summed up I did ~9960 km
(~ 6225 ,miles. This weekend I will hit 10.000 km (6250miles) It was and is worth it!

Greetings Mike

just_looking

sparker

No one is saying that the vectrix is not a good bike in fact I have praised this bike many times on this thread.

But in the UK this bike is not in anyway worth the costs.

You make a whopping £15 saving on road tax by buying the vectrix over a 125cc and you don’t have to put petrol in obviously because it is electric, but the range of a decent 125cc makes it much more useable and worth the cost.

A vectrix will take you around 35 miles then you start to sweat about running out of power, because if you run out you are stuck, a 125cc will take you around 180 miles on a single tank of fuel then you sweat in case you run out of fuel before you have to get to the next fuel station which might just be a couple of miles away, but even then, when you get there it takes you around 3 minutes to refuel and your off away again.

The vectrix you will have to wait around 2 hours before you can get going assuming it charges up at all.

And like i said it may suit some people but clearly it has a long way to go before it is suitable for the masses, unless there are some changes to the bike to make it more appealing.

if you don't get this then perhaps you are looking at it from the wrong perspective.

just_looking

Ok now we have that settled.

From this thread it seems as I said only one bike has bee able to make 30,000 km and by all accounts not even on the original battery so even that doesn’t seem to count.

I discovered today that the most popular motorcycle insurance company in the UK won’t insure the vectrix.

Emmm so with respect of the UK market which is what I go by, it seems you have to get this bike insured specially in order to use it on the UK roads.

So now we are looking at saving £15 on road tax but probably unless someone else can clarify this, an extra probably increased cost on insurance which will nullify any savings on the road tax.

It just gets better and better.

And why do most vectrix owners only speak in terms of kilometres and not miles? Is it because it makes it sound a lot further that you are able to travel where as if you spoke in miles it would look pretty bad.

I suppose it feels a bit better saying I travelled 56 kilometres rather than 35 miles before I needed to recharge it, but lets be honest here 35 miles is not very far unless you’re walking of course.

just_looking

turok

You're just not ready for it

Ok people here keep saying this, but lets be honest here, is it me not ready for the bike or the bike not ready for me, considering the range of bikes I have ridden in the past some very powerful some not so I would be more inclined to think the bike is not ready for me.

But the problem here is, if vectrix keep going the way they are perhaps they never will be ready.

One simple solution to fix one of the big problems with this type of bike is charging methods; vectrix needs to come up with a method of charging that allows the bike to be ridden home even at half power so the rider would not get stranded.

Perhaps even a small top box generator that ran on veg oil to supply the battery with charging for a short period of time a get you home solution.

Or perhaps turn it into a hybrid that uses a small generator under the seat that kicks in automatically when the battery gets to a certain level with a manual over ride for deep discharging.

I would like to see the vectrix succeed, I like the way they look, but insurance companies don’t seem that keen on touching them in the UK so they are not that much of a prospective purchase.

Couple that with all the problems and you have a disastrous vehicle in the making, and judging by the fact that the company has shut its action down twice in the UK it seems unlikely to survive here unless they make the changes needed to make them worth the price or drop the price drastically.

Just as a thought can anyone tell me if you get tax breaks in other parts of Europe for buying an electric motorcycle?

snail

But in the UK this bike is not in anyway worth the costs.

... in your opinion... Value for money is such an intangible concept to grasp. It depends completely upon your perspective.

And like i said it may suit some people but clearly it has a long way to go before it is suitable for the masses, unless there are some changes to the bike to make it more appealing.

if you don't get this then perhaps you are looking at it from the wrong perspective.

See what I mean? Why is your individual perspective worth more than the massive upswelling against it? Are we all missing something?

Cheers,

Brian.

mikemitbike
mikemitbike's picture

I suppose it feels a bit better saying I travelled 56 kilometres rather than 35 miles before I needed to recharge it, but lets be honest here 35 miles is not very far unless you’re walking of course.

Miles, km, feet, inch, cm... Don´t matter it rides far and fast enought and charges fast enough for my daily needs.

Just as a thought can anyone tell me if you get tax breaks in other parts of Europe for buying an electric motorcycle?

In Austria it is freed from NOVA (Normverbrauchsabgabe) a tax for new vehicles first time registrated, freed from "engine-Tax" (motorsteuer)
which is a part of the insurance costs (payed monthly or once a year) as you need no petrol you have not to pay petrol-tax (Mineralölsteuer)
which is 0,44 Euro per one litre petrol ( but there are discussions to equip new vehicles in future with energy-counters to have something
equivalent to the petrol-tax...)
When I bought my V I got 500,- Euro from my homecity and 300,- Euro from the State Upperaustria, a sum which would have been higher if I
used ecological electricity then.

Greetings Mike

by the way what about discussing this already huge off-topic in another new thread?

sparker

I insure with that small unknown UK insurer called Swinton. Considering that I've only been riding for two years, my insurance premium of £135 seems pretty fair to me, especially as it has gone down from £200 when I first got the V.

I do consider myself lucky that I don't have a 180 mile round trip commute on a daily basis - phew. Isn't that a little overkill for the majority of the journeys people make? I believe Nissan has had a similar problem convincing people that a 100 mile range for the Nissan Leaf is actually more than adequate for the vast majority of the population. If you actually sit down and work it out most people are quite surprised. They still think in terms of going to the petrol station, which just isn't needed when you can just plug in whenever you are at home.

Just_Looking - what is the average daily mileage that you do and on what type of roads? Just out of interest so I can better understand your personal circumstances, if I'm not being too personal.

One thing we do agree on is that there should be more incentives to adopt an electric bike - perhaps thats because it is more worthwhile in London as you are exempt from the congestion charge AND London is where Parliamentary decisions are made so us 'outsiders' aren't considered enough.

Back on topic then - just clicked over 8840 MILES (14226 km OR 15558399 yards) on, are you ready for this: MY ORIGINAL BATTERY. Still getting 35 to 45 miles per charge, as I was at the start. Battery condition very good, helped by the temperate UK climate. The highest temp I've witnessed was 32 during THE ONE MAIN hot week we had this year. Mostly it is between 17 - 26 whether during charging or riding on the motorway for short bursts.

So far, for me personally, I have not had a journey that I have been unable to make on my V. I have made longer journeys but they have been with my family so we've taken the car.

Once again - more than fit for my individual purpose, maybe not so for others.

just_looking

snail

See what I mean? Why is your individual perspective worth more than the massive upswelling against it? Are we all missing something?

I don't recall saying anything of the sourt, as far as i'm concerned everyone's perspective is just as worthy as my own, however it is different that is all.

You like your V for whatever reasons and it suits your needs, I like the V but it would mean I would need to add it to my collection of vehicles rather than it removing one so for me if I decided to purchase one, because I live in the UK in London it would not be of any use to me as the price of the bike would out weigh any savings on fuel any of the other expenses associated with running a motorcycle in the UK with the exception of fuel, which we have established is not that much of a huge saving.

just_looking

mikemitbike

So in Austria it is not such a bad thing to own an electric V because you are getting kick backs, in the UK as I keep saying we get nothing £15 saving on the classification of the type of bike it is.

A whopping huge £15 pound what an incentive to buy electric, if I decided to buy a car however there are kick backs I could get but it would need to have more than two wheels to classify as a car.

Some people are wiling to make the leap and purchase the V for whatever reasons they hold but it is not based on economy, and if it is based on saving the planet the are misguided because by the fact that they have already had to change their battery once will mean they have already got themselves a very dirty bike.

snail

I like the V but it would mean I would need to add it to my collection of vehicles rather than it removing one so for me if I decided to purchase one, because I live in the UK in London it would not be of any use to me as the price of the bike would out weigh any savings on fuel any of the other expenses associated with running a motorcycle in the UK with the exception of fuel, which we have established is not that much of a huge saving.

Firstly, I'm extremely confused - how is running a V in London impossible for your personal circumstances? You could travel all the way through the centre of London from Colnbrook to Dartford on a single charge!

Second, A full charge from empty is about 5kW. That's 50 pence worth of electricity to travel 40 miles. The V also emits about 40g/km CO2, from well to wheel, even from the dirty power station down the road from me in Didcot. Even the most economical motorcycle will struggle to achieve that (but that's a whole different argument you will want to ignore).

Seems to me that you really should either go try it for yourself, or move on. Now I know I've said that before...

Brian

Aircon

or move on. Now I know I've said that before...

Brian

*sigh*

we've ALL said it before. He writes intelligently, but he seems a bit of a masochist.

Aircon

or move on. Now I know I've said that before...

Brian

*sigh*

we've ALL said it before. He writes intelligently, but he seems a bit of a masochist.

robert93
robert93's picture

Or Sadist, keeps inflicting the same "not good enough" rhetoric on us again and again, without EVER trying the bike.

R
R's picture

And why do most vectrix owners only speak in terms of kilometres and not miles?

Ops... that's funny... I've never seen a speed limit or a distance measured in miles in the European continent... can this minimal issue explain why some visforvoltages think/talk/write/live in KM instead of miles?

Pages

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage