How many vectrix reached 30.000km?

224 posts / 0 new
Last post
R
R's picture
Re: How many vectrix reached 30.000km?

Some people are wiling to make the leap and purchase the V for whatever reasons they hold but it is not based on economy, and if it is based on saving the planet the are misguided because by the fact that they have already had to change their battery once will mean they have already got themselves a very dirty bike.

Just-looking is starting to accept that some owners love their vectrix because of ""some"" reasons not base in economy. great!!
Next logical though: they bought a vectrix to save the planet?? hehehe, you're getting closer... do you want to find out the real reasons? Come on, test drive it...
just_looking

snail

I think I have already explained why the bike is not as cheap is being claimed ie battery problems the cost of the bike and so on, all things you won’t suffer with a normal 125cc motorcycle therefore when these costs are added to the actual overall running costs of the bike it is not that much cheaper over all.

You claim your V costs you 50p to recharge but day time electricity is in some areas as much as 17p per unit, how many units of electricity will it take to recharge your V, I suspect it costs more than 50p to recharge.

So I think the other posters guide was closer to the mark at 90p if that is the case then as I mentioned before, you will have to refuel around 4 times to cover the same distance as a 125cc therefore the saving is approximately half that of a normal 125cc bike then you factor in the cost of a replacement battery and so on and over all there is not much difference in running cost over all.

You save £15 road tax and that’s about it.

But I thought we were beyond the numbers now, due to the fact that you don’t actually save much if anything and quite possibly the bike is more expensive to run over all compared to a 125cc.

Since working out that the bike is more expensive to run I have tried to steer away from the financial issues with the bike and focus on any other benefits, but there just arn't that many if any over all.

just_looking

R

Well yes you are right in other parts of Europe everything is in km but in the UK and the USA we still use miles, but it is strange that a bike designed for the USA market quotes km when talking about distance rather than sticking to miles.

However in saying this, they used to originally state it in miles, and maybe they still do as an option for comparison.

But here virtually everyone speaks in km rather than miles, could this be either the bikes poor mileage looks better in km or could it just be that most of the bikes because of the tax breaks have a much better selling point in Europe so that is most are sold, where as in the UK you save £15 and virtually no one wants them.

Doesn’t that suggest that there is something seriously wrong with something be it the bike or the UK govt, we know the pit falls of the bike and we think we know the benefits, so why don’t the UK govt?

Could it be that perhaps after they have looked at the vehicle they decided it just wasn’t worth it, or something else?

just_looking

R

test drive it...

I will, I'm just trying to justify my time and expense of such a long journey just to test ride a bike that i will have to pay someone to deliver to me via the use of probably a diesel van if i decide to purchase one, and the expense of having electricity put into my garage just so i could ride the thing, when i already have a perfectly good motorcycle that i can take anywhere without any of the added costs.

If i did decide to purchase one it will be very expensive for me over all so any such decision has to be made with a clear and full understanding of what i may be getting myself into.

and so far i have not seen anything that could justify such an expense, other than perhaps i may enjoy the ride, but i already enjoy the ride on the bike i have so not really a benifit.

snail

snail You claim your V costs you 50p to recharge but day time electricity is in some areas as much as 17p per unit, how many units of electricity will it take to recharge your V, I suspect it costs more than 50p to recharge.

But it costs ME 10p per unit. Economy 7 and Economy 10 customers can get it even cheaper if they charge during the low cost tariff periods. Other people's electricity costs is none of my concern - I cannot possibly comment. Use the 5kW number and do your own maths for your own personal circumstances - it's not too taxing.

So I think the other posters guide was closer to the mark at 90p if that is the case then as I mentioned before, you will have to refuel around 4 times to cover the same distance as a 125cc therefore the saving is approximately half that of a normal 125cc bike then you factor in the cost of a replacement battery and so on and over all there is not much difference in running cost over all.

You save £15 road tax and that’s about it.

But I thought we were beyond the numbers now, due to the fact that you don’t actually save much if anything and quite possibly the bike is more expensive to run over all compared to a 125cc.

In your (misguided) opinion. My battery is still fine after 3 years, the pads and discs are still as new. If I had a conventional bike, I would be worrying about discs, pads, chains, sprockets, oil, cam chains, shims, clearances, tolerances etc, etc. How much time, let alone cost have you factored in to your calculation of value? I charge it, go, then charge it again, repeating ad nauseum. I never, ever worry about maintenance. Plug and play in every sense of the phrase!

Since working out that the bike is more expensive to run I have tried to steer away from the financial issues with the bike and focus on any other benefits, but there just arn't that many if any over all.

Yes, you're right. There are absolutely no benefits at all. Close case, go out and buy a CG125 and never look back and wonder. You had all the answers before asking the forum any questions.

Brian

mikemitbike
mikemitbike's picture

Well yes you are right in other parts of Europe everything is in km but in the UK and the USA we still use miles, but it is strange that a bike designed for the USA market quotes km when talking about distance rather than sticking to miles.

Hi J_L ;-)

I dont´want to disapoint you, but the bike was primary designed for the continetal-european market. Right it was designed in USA,
but the main-factory is in Poland, and the launch and first mainimporter/salespoint was in Italy due it´s very high density of
scooters per People of the country. Unfortunately the start in Italy was a huge mess (in Italy things work out VERY different as
the company I work for had to learn that too when they spread from Austria to northern Italy) causing the problems with Vectrix-Australia
by shiping them to Australia without contacting Vectrix USA. They had problems with the australian customs, so the bikes stood too
long without being service-charged ending in a lawsuit between V-Australia and V-USA, but that is another sad story...
Engnland has Problems because of their (now not existing?) mainimporter. A similar problem we have in Austria, the Mainimporter switched
from one company (which was NOT primary dealing with vehicles), to another company mainly doing research and custom-kits for CNG-driven
cars, and had not much experience as a main Importer. Finaly he went bancrupt (not because of the V, but the lack of saling CNG-Kits for
cars and trucks), but was refinanced somehow.
The only well working mainimporter seems to be Vectrix Germany...

By the way, my first testdrive I did with Est-Miles-left and the Odometer switched to miles because the dealer had forgotten to change
it to Km.

Greetings Mike

just_looking

snail

My battery is still fine after 3 years, the pads and discs are still as new. If I had a conventional bike, I would be worrying about discs, pads, chains, sprockets, oil, cam chains, shims, clearances, tolerances etc, etc. How much time, let alone cost have you factored in to your calculation of value? I charge it, go, then charge it again, repeating ad nauseum. I never, ever worry about maintenance. Plug and play in every sense of the phrase!

On the original battery is it?

Your pads and discs are a plus if they are as new, but then if you ride a bike as I said with the care you seem to have to with the V then there is no reason why the pads and discs on another bike wouldn’t still be ok.

Oil yes you would need to change it regularly, cam chain no unless you thrashed it around everywhere you went the bikes cam chain should still be in very good condition after only around 9,000 miles, note miles not kilometres.

Shims are most unlikely to be needed on a 125cc and are more likely to be on a larger bike that uses over head camshaft; most small bikes don’t use double over head camshafts and often use single over head camshafts thus no need for shims.

Clearances, yes but that costs nothing if you do the work yourself as there are no parts to purchase to do the work, and on a small bike such clearances can be done in less than half an hour in many cases depending on the bike of course.

Tolerances, well no as these are done by the engineers that design the bike, doing maintenance on the bike would not normally involve being to concerned about tolerances.

But yes I take your point, the cost of servicing parts should have been factored into the cost of a 125cc which would favour the V depending on overall servicing costs for the V of course.

As it stands a 125cc motorcycle can be serviced by just about anyone without the fear of being electrocuted or doing some major damage to the bike, so long as you follow the instructions in the servicing manual the chances are virtually non existent for you to cause harm to your machine or yourself.

A V on the other hand the manual that is on offer seems a little spars on detail and you also have to consider engineering skills in order to ensure your planet gear box is well lubricated.

There seems to be no fault finding info and no wiring diagram.

Any work you undertake in servicing could render your warranty null and void so you are forced to seek out servicing agents, which I suspect cost a fair bit more than doing your own service on a conventional bike.

I think even if you factor in the costs of servicing you may find it is similar, unless you ignore all the necessary checks that should be done on the V periodically of course.

But you have made a very good point, one which I over looked.

snail

But you have made a very good point, one which I over looked.

OK! We are making progress! This could be the start of a very happy relationship!!

On the original battery is it?

I have to confess that the bike was returned for a recall for an issue with battery connections which affected SOME batteries. But I'm told that mine was not replaced, so, apart from the scary recall moment, yes, it is the original battery. I'm not worried about the battery at all. As I said, if it falls into a crumpled mess tomorrow, I've had my money's worth.

Your pads and discs are a plus if they are as new, but then if you ride a bike as I said with the care you seem to have to with the V then there is no reason why the pads and discs on another bike wouldn’t still be ok.

But my point is that I don't use them! The regen braking from the motor means that the discs and pads are as-new because of this. It has nothing to do with my riding style - I would have worn the pads out if they were my only means of stopping...

As for the remainder of your reply, my V has only been to see an engineer once in three and a half years for anything approaching a service. It cost me £50. It has not required any skilled attention of any sort other than what I've listed. (actually, that's not true - it has destroyed three chargers, all under warranty - the fourth one is still going strong - so far...)

Brian

myvectrix2008
myvectrix2008's picture

I'm surprised this thread has lasted so long. Does make interesting reading though.

Why does the Vectrix keep being compared to a 125cc scooter? The nearest ICE competitor for size/weight/price/performance (in some respects) is the Suzuki Burgman 400.

Excuse me whilst I go and plug in my Vectrix for an overnight charge....
... it beats stopping at fuel stations and paying around £5.20 per gallon of fuel. Not to mention that messy business of draining and refilling the oil, renewing spark plugs and replacing dirty filters every few thousand miles. No thanks.

just_looking

snail

Three chargers is not a good record, which brings us back to reliability, once your warranty runs out you will have to pay for these things out of your own pocket, unless you trade in your old bike for a new one it will get rather expensive if the chargers keep burning out or failing.

Once your warranty runs out the cost of replacing the battery will be very expensive as another poster pointed out, I think it was mik from aus.

Each time your bike had to go back to an engineer did they pick it up for you free of charge or did you have to pay to have it delivered and then pay to have it brought back to you?

If free then not bad while under warranty but again once it runs out that too will be an added cost.

With a normal bike if it breaks down the parts are normally readily available at many outlets, the V you will have to wait for parts to be shipped from some factory thousands of miles away, unless you are lucky enough to live on the door step of the factory.

If they were ultra reliable then yes I could see a great prospect in purchasing a V but they don’t seem to be, in fact quite the opposite.

You may have been one of the lucky few that have had a relatively reliable bike, but it seems from reading this board the best thing people say about their V is that it is a nice ride when it works properly, but then that seems rare.

From new, it should work properly and be fun but that should not stop only after a few miles, you should be able to get many thousands of miles trouble free use, then when it breaks down it would only be to be expected after long service, but that doesn't seem to be the case with the V.

just_looking

myvectrix2008

Why does the Vectrix keep being compared to a 125cc scooter? The nearest ICE competitor for size/weight/price/performance (in some respects) is the Suzuki Burgman 400.

You cannot compare the V to a burgman they are completely different animals.

The reason why the V is compared to a 125cc is simple, because that is the British classification of the Vectrix, it is classified as a 125cc the dept of trans would not classify the V as a 125cc if it thought it was a 400cc burgman comparison, also Vectrix should count their lucky stars that the dept trans classify it as a 125cc by doing so it opens up the sales potential for the bike, but even with this added sales potential the youth are just not interested in the bike.

Excuse me whilst I go and plug in my Vectrix for an overnight charge....

Just so long as you don't need to get somewhere in a hurry unexpectedly, else you will be late.

it beats stopping at fuel stations and paying around £5.20 per gallon of fuel.

Yes you are right it does beat having to stop at fuel stations for an average of 5 minutes while you refuel, but then you have to keep your bike out of action for around 3 hours to charge it, and according to the hand book you are not suppose to recharge it for up to 2 hours after use of it, making a grand total of 5 hours just to recharge the thing safely, according to the hand book.

Now let’s compare, 5 minutes to refuel at a cost of around £7/8 which will take you 180 miles approx, once around every 4 thousand miles you will need to change oil clean spark plug clean air filter and give the bike a look over generally in a service type fashion, which may take you anything from 1 to 3 hours depending how you are set up in your own garage.

Compared to 5 hours to charge the V following the correct procedure set out in the hand book, cross your fingers that the charger works properly and that the battery will charge without causing any damage to any of the electronics when you plug it in, you then have around 35 miles to which you can travel with your charge before you have to recharge it again waiting another 2 hours after use and 3 hours to fully recharge, couple that with the fact that the overall cost in electricity could be anywhere between 4 to 5 recharges to get the same distance as the 125cc making a grand total of 25 hours to travel approximately 175 miles, compared to the 125cc travelling at an average of 50 mph constant without stops less than 4 hours, now if you add the 4 hours to the 5 minutes (and I’m being extra generous on the 4 hour time) you end up with 4 hours 5 minutes to travel 180 miles on your 125cc, as opposed to 25 hours on your V.

If that were money it would be a lot over the year, however if we discount the issue of refuelling then we are looking at it a different way.

If we look at the mess with fossil fuelled bikes, then yes there is no comparison, fossil fuelled bikes are dirty compared to a V but much cleaner than a car, but then as the V is so limited you are more likely to use your car for longer journeys thus eliminating any clean savings you had by using the V so even there, it seems there is not much saving at all if any.

R
R's picture

it will get rather expensive if the chargers keep burning out or failing.

Justlooking, the chargers are upgraded to the new RUNKE type. They cost a fraction, and they're more reliable.
just_looking

R

Well check this out, this guy bought one of these bikes new and guess what, nothing but trouble and he still ain't got his bike on the road.

http://visforvoltage.org/forum/9779-i-just-wanted-share-will-all-you-it-might-be-interesting

Not a very good advert for the bike really is it?

sparker

You are absolutely right - if you wish to travel 180 miles in one trip the Vectrix sucks. BUT WE DON'T OR WE WOULDN'T HAVE BOUGHT A VECTRIX THAT TRAVELS AROUND 40 MILES AND THEN NEEDS RECHARGING! That is not a difficult thing to check.

Going back to a previous post, you say you're in London. I'm unsure how the congestion charge affects ICE bikes BUT the Vectrix is exempt so perhaps there is a saving there to factor in? Also, London has the most public charging points in the whole of the UK so top-ups should be readily available. Unless your AVERAGE riding profile includes journeys of more than 40 miles with no chance of opportune charging, I'd say the Vectrix (please let's put aside reliability issues just for a second) would be more suitable for you than me with my mostly rural journeys.

With regards to the reliability issues, let's not forget that the majority of the posters on here are very early adopters, almost BETA testers, in hindsight and there have been some pretty major issues. I'm hoping that these are/have been resolved on the later bikes but the proof will be when some newer bikes are out there. The lack of a UK importer is a pain but we do have the excellent Steve Scott at our disposal for some support, thought it isn't an ideal situation at the moment.

I'm going to also stick my neck out here and offer my V for a test ride, if you're willing to come down. I'm just outside of Portsmouth.

I still don't think that electric is for you with all your pre-conceptions BUT I'd like to thank you for giving us current owners the opportunity to re-justify our purchase. Even with all the negative points you've raised (some of them a bit irrelevant and repetitive) I PERSONALLY still feel it has been a good buy for the PAST two years (note I'm making no prediction for the next two because I know you'll shoot me down).

sparker

And like a stalking tiger he pounces....

No it isn't a good advert. It's also not nice to gloat over his misfortune. I'm totally speculating here but the USD clue makes me wonder what kind of temperatures his V has been operating in. V + high temps are not good and seem to be the bone of contention and reason for most of the V issues reported. THAT is a huge failing.

Further posts should perhaps shed some light. If that is the case, with the UK temperate climate, it shouldn't be an issue over here.

Aircon

where's the bloody ignore button?

why don't you stop wasting your time and ours and go and post on some other forum? I like my Vectrix. It does what I want and what I expected. Just deal with it. It's not all about money or how something looks on paper, and it definitely isn't all about you.

You don't like it.....you've told us...and told us....and told us....and told us...we get it, now go away.

*shakes head*

just_looking

Aircon

I seems like I have touched a raw nerve with you, did your misses give you a hard time for purchasing it?

Why would you get so hostile when all I have done is try to look at the bike from weighing up the good over the bad?

I didn’t design this bike and you are wrong, I do like it but you have to like it for what it is, which is what I seem to get from most of the owners here.

It is not a bike that helps reduce carbon emissions, and it is not a bike that will help to save the planet, it is however a bike that makes a miniscule contribution to the reduction of fumes in the air (note miniscule) and it is a bike that has the potential to be a good machine if they had the bike R&D and made by a good manufacturer, but they don’t and in the UK if you purchase one it is a huge risk with regard to warranty issues.

So, you are totally wrong about the way I view this bike, I see a future for such a bike but it really does need as mentioned above because they don’t seem able to fix the problems themselves.

I did a little search on the net for batteries and thee seems to be what is classed as a very good battery on the market at the moment for electric vehicles that is being used by the car makers, it didn’t take me long to discover the battery but of course there is the issue of charging the thing.

The V comes with a battery charger fitted to the bike perhaps V should be in communications with the battery maker that supply other electric vehicle batteries.

*shakes head*

Make sure it's screwed on properly before you do this ;-)

R
R's picture

Not a very good advert for the bike really is it?

I never regarded the forum as a vectrix advert. I'm just an early, passionate owner. Well done, You've got the answer: There's a 2009 bike in trouble!
This is the 3rd time I tell you: just test it, don't buy it.
just_looking

sparker

Like I said before with regard to it being the first on the market or amongst the first, if a company is going to be amongst the first they must provide the type of support needed else they will get a very bad name very quick.

People are forgiving if they are able to still use their vehicle with the promise of it being fixed as quickly as is possible, but it seems Vectrix are not performing in the after market service either in the UK, perhaps they are doing better else where but the UK it seems poor.

I pointed to the poster with the problems because his bike was one of the newer ones, which you would have thought vectrix would have sorted out all the problems on, but it seems he is not even getting a good warranty service either, and he is still awaiting the use of his bike, 1.5 years down the line.

Would it be so much for V to get in touch with the main company that supplies batteries for electric cars to see if a battery is offered to the market that would replace the batteries in use on the V now?

And would it be so hard for V to adopt some quality control, and have the electronic boards redesigned?

sparker

Just_Looking, there were some questions in my post earlier but you seem to have missed them and jumped straight on to the offensive. Any chance of some answers?

With regards to liking it for what it is - you have hit the nail on your head there. If you don't like it for what it is then don't buy it. Is that not true of almost anything in life though....?

Domi422
Domi422's picture

Just looking, I'm not fond of dogs but I don't spend my time on forums dedicated to dogs, asking people why on earth they are wasting their time and money with such a bore a dog is.
It is obvious you are not ready to own a Vectrix and that it doesn't match your needs.

So please let this forum go back to its purpose : exchange and help among the Vectrix (happy) owners community. Go and buy a noisy, vibrating and smoking 125cc if its your choice. We have choosen another road and we don't have to argue or justify it.

Le site des utilisateurs français (The French user's website) http://www.vectrix.fr/

sparker

Also, with regards to the support issues - they WENT BUST at the start of the recession. That does tend to put a spanner in the works of supporting a product. Steve Scott carried bravely on providing support to the UK owners as long as he possibly could (and still does). Contrary to what you believe I had the best support DIRECTLY FROM VECTRIX UK THEMSELVES. I felt for the dealers who were left in the lurch trying to support owners of a no longer existing company. This isn't an ideal situation at all - there was a UK importer who shall remain nameless as it most definitely didn't work out. At the moment we are in a bit of limbo until we find out what is going to happen for the UK market. As you don't own one, you're in no danger, but thanks for pointing that out to the rest of us.

just_looking

R

just test it, don't buy it.

I fully intend to.

just_looking

sparker

perhaps you can remind me what they were and i will be happy to oblige if i can.

sparker

Post 134. There were a few buried in the middle.

just_looking

Domi422

But if the dog cost around £7000 or more and it constantly ripped up your furniture or constantly defecated all over the house and most of the owners found that to be the case with the same type of dog, that would suggest unless you were willing to put up with such activity or you were not well informed about it that you would be not to happy paying for it just to find you could have avoided all these problems by purchasing another type of dog, simply by discussing it with people that persist with them.

So please let this forum go back to its purpose :

I am not stopping it from doing anything, this is but one thread amongst many those that are here discussing this with me do so of their own free will, I have put forward some serious issues with the bike which have never been put to rest, if you can put them to rest by all means do but let's be fair i'm not forcing you to get into this thread.

clearly you have issues with your ownership of your V esle you would not be so hostile.

just_looking

sparker

CC no there is no charge for any motorcycle at the moment, but if you happen to park in Westminster you have to pay to park your bike.

Charging points, there are none where I live and I don’t live that far from the city.

As for it being better for someone in London, probably not due to the stop start issue, most fuel is burned when pulling away, once moving fuel burn drops unless you are accelerating, so the V constantly having to stop start will be more likely to drop its range due to the excessive amounts of strain on the power train stop start uses up so much power.

If these are the questions you were talking about I hope I have answered them well enough.

just_looking

sparker

Steve Scott carried bravely on providing support to the UK owners as long as he possibly could (and still does).

I'm not absolutely sure about this but I think under UK law it is the vendor that is responsible for the product after sale anyway, so even if they stopped selling the product they are still responsible for the product until the warranty is concluded.

AndY1
AndY1's picture

How about you stop wasting this forum's energy and leave this thread!

I'm tired of your spamming this thread with your $hit! This thread is meant for Vectrix drivers with 30kkm, not with your endless arguing!

Make your own thread and stop trolling useful threads!

myvectrix2008
myvectrix2008's picture

Wow, you have consistently talked yourself out of purchasing a Vectrix throughout this whole thread.

Move on.

Pages

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage