best way to electrify a dual suspension bike...

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
robert93
robert93's picture
best way to electrify a dual suspension bike...

Hi yall.
I've had a Currie Ezip Trailz for over a year now, and its proved quite useful here at home. At my folks place I have a Mongoose XR-75 similar to this one...
http://www.lonestaronline.com/fullsize_thumbs/912269640.jpg Traffic has picked up quite a bit in their lil town, and a lil power would be great for getting around, even though it would only get used maybe a month out of the year. I'm looking for an HR727-legal build kit that can handle the dual suspension build, yet stay on the economy side. I'm 190 pounds or so, so its got to have some power to it too.....

Dauntless
Re: best way to electrify a dual suspension bike...

Why, I have that very bike. And one of these, which cost less than this at the store near me. http://www.curriestore.com/116-currie-electro-drive-conversion-kit-w-plug-play-battery-pack.html

Of course what I'd really like would be twice the wattage. Maybe 3 times. Or more.

WHo dares, WINS!!!!

Dauntless

http://compare.ebay.com/like/290473153859?ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Something else you can try. The net result would resemble this:

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/178-6298324-7260868?asin=B003L9ABII&AFID=Nextag_df&LNM=|B003L9ABII&CPNG=sports&ci_src=9324560&ci_sku=B003L9ABII&ref=tgt_adv_XSN10001

WHo dares, WINS!!!!

robert93
robert93's picture

Thanks Dauntless,
I had considered the Ezip kit, but was worried about the rack mount battery setup working on the swingarm, good to know it can be done. The perfect fit hub is also a plus.
The hub motor has some good considerations too, as they are usually much quieter than the sometimes whiny Currie motor. That kit is kind of vague about whether or not the dropouts would need to be stretched for the motor though. Batteries not included, but lots of options on em though... hmmmm, good info overal. :-)

EV_FanAtic
EV_FanAtic's picture

hi Robert , i think this would be your best bet , even i am planning on getting one 250W motor, coz you can still use your shifters/all gears/front and rear with this motor.Here's the Link:

http://www.elationebikes.com.au/eLation%20Kits.htm

Hope you get what you need , cheers ! Paul

if it ain't Broke, don't Fix it..

robert93
robert93's picture

hmmm, well, thats from an Australian supplier, over here in the USA, i can run as much as 750 watts. The price of the 300 watt kit is, um, well, its up there for my purposes. Interesting idea though.

scootoregon

I have a dual suspension Iron Horse that I have electrified. I used a kit from cycle9.com. Here is one that is a bit smaller in power than mine but much the same size.

http://www.cycle9.com/c9store/electric-bicycle-kits-c-5/bmc-v1-400w-hub-motor-kit-p-80 .

I bought the V2 which is quite powerful. I also got an Infineon 35Amp controller to run the setup, however due to the amp hours of the pack the shop dialed the output back to only 30 amps so that I wouldn't fry my batter pack. I also bought a Cycle Analyst to go with the 48V 10 amp hour battery pack. I tried very hard to make my bike look like a normal bicycle so I wouldn't get messed with too much. The whole package was a bit expensive, but then again, you get what you pay for. I will try to include some pictures to show my setup. Good luck with yours.

0228102246-02.jpg

0228102246-00_0.jpg

0228102246-01.jpg

heaviside

I bought my 48V1000W kit with 20AH lifepo4 battery from daoji666 on ebay. I bought a $225 full suspension front disc brake bike and paid $825 total for the kit. I put the controller and battery pack in a plastic toolbox and strapped it to the crossbar between the seat and handlebars. It took about an hour. It climbs a 14% grade @ 26mph--the bike weighs about 75lbs. It's range is 60-70 miles at 25 mph on reasonably flat ground. The governed top speed is about 30mph. I go offroading all the time. What more can you ask for?

It's actually not completely compliant with the law, but a pig will not even know it's electric and even if he does, you never lied to a pig before?

robert93
robert93's picture

Wow , that is some toy, but, I DO have to be picky about the law as I am legally blind. Any shortcuts i take will get me a detailed study in prison culture. Providing a peace officer with false information will get you an even more extended stay. Also, if some moron hit me, and swore it was my fault, even if it wasnt, the overpowered rig would get me sued fast. i bet its a total blast in the dirt though.

leggera16

I had dual suspension with very expensive gears and brakes so opted for a Rear hub modified to fit my front forks. I could then use the threads on the hub meant for a gear block to mount a disc brake. Im not sure this would work exactly as I have done it as my bike has 110mm wide forks and 20mm axle drop outs.

My longest trek was 55 miles on a 24v 20ah ping battery.

I have to say it has made the front end a little unresponsive over faster rough ground as the extra weight stops the wheel bouncing back to earth quickly after the forks get compressed from a bump.

One thing I notice about your bike is all those nice bolts around the main suspension mounts. I bet you could get some spacers and bolt a plate either side easily to mount a motor under the tube to run on the front crank cogs. I guess then your tied into pedalling all the time the motor is engaged unless you get one of those freewheel cranks. Heres a complicated looking one, pics at bottom. http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/40214

So yes even with the most odd bikes it can be done you just have to scratch your head for about a month thinking up what small bits of alloy tubing, and ancillary luggage holders etc will make it work :)

First attempt for fun 250w (uk laws suck)
//i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff506/bionicdan/24122010047.jpg)

//i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff506/bionicdan/27032011137.jpg)
This isnt the finished picture with disc installed(500w)

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage