Hi,

I was wondering if anyone know would know if >it would damage the rear
wheel drive train of a Vectrix by towing it using a single wheel motorcycle
trailer like the one below?

VEXTRLRJPG.JPG

http://motorcyclecarrier.webs.com/

Spaceangel
Re: VECTRIX SINGLEWHEEL TOWING TRAILER

I don't know but that does sound like a good way to charge battery pack if there is a way to twist for reverse.
Most of the time pulling a trailer of any kind or type is done at 45 or 50 or less and and Vectrix can do 62 so it shouldn't matter. There is no oil pump to worry about like on auto transmissions. I use a scooter bike trailer rated for 400 pounds and thinking the bike weighed at 400 Kg I thought I was safe figuring it was really pounds.
Actually no problems bring a VX-1 from Rhode Island to my home twenty. Maybe ninety miles or less with 25 or so done on bike itself. I did shorten the 2 inch bar so it was closer to SUV therefore increasing leverage of carrying the VX-1. I also leaned scooter against SUV in case of sudden stop in order to not break tie downs. Also I made a longer ramp since aluminum stock ramp was too short to clear battery pack kick stand area. I just did an install of XP and no pix on puter but email me and I can send pictures.

KB1UKU

DesGilmore
DesGilmore's picture

Interesting that you towed for 90 miles. Was this with the rear wheel down & ignition
off? Always wanted to take Bike on holiday with me & saw single wheel trailer as an
easy option. I would be towing 300 miles or so + return etc.
Did you manage to get any pics thru?

DesG

israndy
israndy's picture

I too am interested in in taking my bike with me. I recently purchased a Dodge Sprinter based motorhome and although the Sprinter is designed for carrying tons of junk, the motorhome interior is just too crowded to put the bike inside. I posted this reply on the Sprinter forum to someone shopping for a trailer hitch carrier at http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13449. Wondered what the Vectrix knowledgable would think of my options.

I too am shopping. I fear that my Vectrix (electric scooter, so it's 500 lbs with batteries) is too big for the Sprinter.

All the hitches on the T1N's are rated at 500 lbs, so I have no buffer for the weight of the carrier. At least the Harbor Freight one:
is aluminum so it's only 50 lbs, vs. the units made of steel starting at 150 lbs. If I had a hitch rated at 650 lbs tongue weight I would be right at that weight. Unfortunately I have a hitch put on custom as I got the cool step in back and didn't want to loose it for a hitch. The guy who put it on nixed the idea of hanging a motorcycle off it. He did say riding with half the weight on the ground would be better, so something like:
http://westcoastminichoppers.com/Page3.html would be OK. Unfortunately I can't put the bike in neutral, the motor is directly attached to the wheel. Driving down the freeway is gonna really spin that motor.

Too bad I don't use a dirt bike, I would love to use this bad boy http://www.discountramps.com/ultimate-mx-hauler.htm

-Randy

leanm
leanm's picture

The problem is, as you say, the weight of the VX1. The EU regs for example preclude you hanging anything over 150kgs more than a short distance from the rear axle line.

I use one of these - it is more than capable of taking a Goldwing, let alone a VX1!

http://www.bikelug.myzen.co.uk/

LeanMachines

Spaceangel

Randell
That is exactly the trailer I use on my VX-1 and the SUV looks the same too. All I did was go to auto sport dealer got a ramp kit, drill extra holes for pins and got 2x8 lumber and made new ramps for the 5' ramp were too short.
I made a light kit from Wally world "Walmart" and mounted it so NO one would say they could not see my turn signals. Yes the capacity is 400# but a year of towing ain't bent anything yet. I do lean the VX-1 against SUV taking stress off downward force of gravity. My Chevrolet Trailblazer has class 3 receiver and round trailer light socket and I converted it to flat 4 pin elcheapo regular trailer plug with an adapter from Wally world also.
My ramp is kept inside truck and not weather proof just weak 2x8 and not cracked yet. It is 400# rated and carries 428 Kg scoot OK for past year now. I always call my wife when I get to 5 bars and not the ones you go to on Friday nights. I got my trailer for my class 3 on eBay for under a buck and slightly over with shipping from Florida I believe. AMC-400 is the model. I also shortened the 2" bar so that it has increased leverage. That is what I would do for trailering it. Also it can be loaded by me and only me. If the batteries can move the scoot a bit at least. I drive up on right side and move the ramp to holes on left side drivers side and insert new pins so ramp don't pop on out and drive it off with me on Terra firma. Why they say rated at 400 pounds in beyond me. I just got my new Mac Mini and don't know how to do GIFs and JPEGs yet but maybe by next week I can do Pix?

KB1UKU

israndy
israndy's picture

OK after wanting to do this for a year or more I finally got it finished, did full write up on:

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?p=196991

Sprinter-Source.com

If you want to a light weight lift that seems perfect for the weight of the Vectrix mounted on a vehicle that shouldn't really be lifting this much in the air, check out the Versa-Lift.

I know a bunch of us have been getting their Vectrix around with a towing cradle:

http://visforvoltage.org/forum/5470-any-issues-using-towing-cradle

but it would have done me no good last weekend when I blew my rear tire while driving home. But since I have a lift I simply got my RV and attached the lift, drove to get the bike and rolled it on from the brush at the side of the road. Simple and saved me the towing costs as AAA doesn't cover bikes.

-Randy

ofx210p

isRandy, your link to the sprinter forum has lots of images you have to register for. Just thought you might want to know

Cheers

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage