Advice on connecting DeWalt packs

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
reikiman
reikiman's picture
Advice on connecting DeWalt packs

I have some of those special connectors required to parallel dewalt packs, and I'm working on building the pack.

What I gathered is the connection from the BMS unit to the cells is what needs to be parallelized.

The way I'm approaching this is ... I bought some 5-conductor wire (it's 5 22 gauge wires in a plastic sheath). I've built six cables with the special connector on one end, and ring lugs on the other end. The ring lugs are wired to a 10 connector terminal strip that I'm using to implement the parallel connections.

Where I'm stuck is the connector coming from the BMS. The connection at the BMS end appears to be this same special connector .. but.. it's thoroughly potted in place and I can't get it to come out. So.. hmm, curious.

I can't tell from pictures others have posted how y'all handled this. If I can't get that connector to come loose, then the only thing I can think of is to cut the wires coming from the BMS and splice some of the 5-conductor wire. The BMS obviously needs to connect with my terminal strip. I'd expected to just pull out the connector, and connect the BMS that way.

mn_aerorider1
Re: Advice on connecting DeWalt packs

Hi Reikiman,

I have discovered some circuit board mountable wire to board right angle connectors that match the 5 pin connector coming out of the Dewalt battery module.

They also match the connectors I sold to you that I bought in bulk from Taiwan to plug into the battery - unfortunately, I did not buy these mating parts in bulk when I had the chance to include them in the same shipment.

(If anyone is still interested, I still have a bunch of the mating 5 pin connectors that plug into the pack)

Go to:

www.mouser.com

and search for the following part number: 538-22-05-7055

They are $.91 each or $.82 apiece if you order 10.

You'll notice that they also sell the mating part, but their price is higher than my $.50 apiece when you also include the price of the crimp pins.

I mount these on a very small proto board (about 1" square) that I can place just outside slots I cut on opposite sides of the yellow Dewalt pack lid. When you straighten out the wires from the module, they will just reach far enough to plug into the proto board. I then run wires from this to parallel out to my charging battery pack and to the other parallel batteries per my other post on my 5 pack system.

I have not found any wire to wire connectors that work. There are some straight-in wire to board connectors that match - probably similar to the one they use in the battery pack itself.

I hope that works for you.

Brian

reikiman
reikiman's picture

I was hoping to do this without a board. But, okay.. just placed my order.

- David Herron, http://davidherron.com/

VT-01
VT-01's picture

Hi Mn_aerorider1,

Just wanted to say thanks for your input here.
I may make the move to DeWalts myself one day and will bookmark the info that you just provided.

It's appreciated!

VT-01

Moderators are volunteer members of our community who help keep V is for Voltage Forums running smoothly, and answer support questions.

'

VT-01
V Moderator Team

Moderators are dedicated volunteer <a href="http://tinyurl.com/2wan5x"> V Team</a> members who help keep your V Forums running smoothly and provide <a href="http://tinyurl.com/ytx8gz">Forum Support.</a>

efreak
efreak's picture

Hi everyone,

how far say 4 parallel packs would possibly take you on a 26" mounted 5304 with the different controllers and what speed? how about 8 packs 4p 2s?

Thanks

efreak

timleibrand

Thanks for the post Brian. I bookmarked this post and will probably be picking some of these up when I get a bit further along and understand my setup a little better.
I just joined the forums and posted my first ebike project under the misleading subject name "Stealth Ebike Competition". There's some burning questions in there if any of you could stop by when you have a couple minutes.

Tim

Ludwig
Ludwig's picture

`efreak,
Welcome to V is for Voltage Community.

Bernie,
Moderator Team

Moderators are your dedicated volunteer V Team members who help keep your V Forums running smoothly and provide you with Forum Support.

`

Ludwig,
V Moderator Team

Moderators are members of our very dedicated community volunteer <a href="http://visforvoltage.net/page/106-our-community-volunteers">V Team</a> who help keep our <a href="http://visforvoltage.net/page/251-policies">V

Russ
Russ's picture

David

Are you doing this so you can charge several batteries with one charger? I bought four chargers on ebay for about $40 each. This allows me to charge them fast. However, taking all four of them with me on a trip can be a hassle.

Russ

reikiman
reikiman's picture

Yes, exactly, I want to carry batteries and one charger.

- David Herron, http://davidherron.com/

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage