broke down again

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
echuckj5
echuckj5's picture
broke down again

Well,

My wife left me. That was a long time ago. I never could figure out why.

Now for the bad news. Bike broke down again.

100_0375.jpg

I have been feeling a little click, thought the chain was bad. 2674.2 miles and the chain is fine. Let's see here, the chain has been shortened, lengthened, shortened, has three removable links in it. #41 chain, "Lotus Chain", Made by Tsubakimoto
Chain Co. in China.

Then I thought, maybe it was a motor bearing going out. No, that's not it. It purrs. No run out, bearings great.

It must be the Stanton hub. It has four sealed bearings, have never looked at em. No, there in great shape.

I built my bike to be bullet proof. I knew after the 1st charge the soniel charger was junk. I have always wondered what life I would get from my magura twist grip throttle, but it is still working. Odyssey batteries, the best lead battery made period. Alltrax Controller, no problems. Tires, Maxxis Hookworms, yea, I had a leak once, was riding the bike around my shop, put a metal fragment thru the tire, took weeks to work it into the tube, cheap tubes, no slime, never a tire failure, never had a flat.

Now I know bearings and gears, I know how long my jackshaft should last. Those pillow blocks should last years and years. Further, I use waterproof grease made for high speed bearings in commercial mowing equipment spindles. I used to own a lawn service and never lost a bearing in a mower spindle.

Jack shaft bearings, both in pillow blocks, are bad. One is real bad. Bought at Purvis Bearing, I don't know the name of them, Chinese made, guy at Purvis charged me $25 apiece for them, not what I wanted, but, if you know bearings, these had good specs, they don't have to be lined up perfect, can run side loads and off center loads. They really should never have had to been replaced. I will buy American made bearings to replace these.

Look there on the right, yep, saddlebags, got rid of my back pack.. What are those 2 lights,, leds from Harbour Freight Tools, the red one is a trailer tail light with brake lights and turn signals, the other is a 17 led 3 function light, both are 12 volts. Will use that 3 function light as a front flasher, it is much brighter than my 2 flashing bike lights and I won't have to recharge them. Working on turn signals and brake lights, when I figure out how a flasher from a car works I'll have rear tail, brakes and turn signal lights.

Thats the good news

chuck

MB-1-E
MB-1-E's picture
Re: broke down again

Hi Chuck,

Sorry to hear the bad news, but it sounds like you have the problem tracked down and under control now.
With your daily use of your Cheetah, I guess it's inevitable that something goes out once and a while.
Let's hope this is one of the last problems that you have for a long time though.

You do have the best troubleshooter and QC person on the job so I have no doubt that you'll be up and running smooth soon, if not already!
I'm glad to hear that you'll be having such a great lighting system on it as shorter days approach.

Love the saddlebags! That's a lot of room for carrying everyday items as well as the necessities.
Keep up the great work, you get a lot of use out of the Cheetah and are an inspiration to us all!!

Dave

MB-1-E
Electric - Bridgestone MB-1 Mountain Bike

Dave B

MB-1-E
<a href="http://visforvoltage.org/book-page/996-mountain-bike-conversion-24v-3-4h... - Bridgestone MB-1 Mountain Bike</a>

chas_stevenson
chas_stevenson's picture

Chuck,

I'm not sure where you live but around here, small country towns, we have special stores, Tractor Supply Store, where the farmers go to get all kinds of parts for their farm equipment. I have been to these stores looking for parts for my bike and one of the items I found there was a large selection of bearings and bearing cups very similar to the ones you used for your jack shaft. I figure if they are built for farm equipment they must be very strong and may outlast anything on your bike.

Good Luck,
Chas S.
My Bicycle Pages

Russ
Russ's picture

I am about to design flashing lights and turn signals for my bike. I want really bright diodes like you seem to have found. I intend to run them in flashing mode day and night for visibility. If they are too bright at night, I could put a rheotstat in the line to dim them out. The brighter the better for bike safety during the day. Anybody know if flashing red lights are legal?

vrecoveryteam
vrecoveryteam's picture

` echuckj5,
Sorry for the off topic, we have been trying to get in contact with you several ways, you had said you wanted more time on the Mission Statement

echuckj5
My point is, "I like it" but it is'nt ready, don't put us on a deadline,

We have sort of been waiting to hear from you before doing the first draft, since part of it will include some of your version and Chas.

Cheers,
V Recovery Team

Since it seems we'll be here for awhile what is your vision of your V is for Voltage Community?

`

Cheers,
V Recovery Team

Since it seems we'll be here for awhile what is your <a href="http://visforvoltage.net/pathauto-short/330">vision </a> of your V is for Voltage Community?

chas_stevenson
chas_stevenson's picture

Russ,

If they are not legal then Walmart and others should not be selling all the little red LED flashing lights they sell now for bikes. I would look at them and see if I could modify a set of them for your use. They use very little power and are very bright. I use them on one of my trikes and they work great. You can see them for more than 1/2 a mile. The requirements for bike lights in most states is only 500 feet about 1/10 of a mile. I have been using them for just over a year and have about 60 hours of use on them at this time without replacing the 2 AAA batteries they came with. So as you can see power use is extremely low. I

Chas S.
My Bicycle Pages

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage