E-Max for heavy duty usage.

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
yzabary
E-Max for heavy duty usage.

Hello all,

A local vendor is about to bring the newer E-max (www.emax-ltd.com) scooters (namely E-max
190L et al) and I am thinking of buying one.

Currently I use a San Yang Joyride 200 (172cc) and my commute is 100Km per day on a highway (actually 45Km in each direction). Since it is a highway, it is unsafe to drive slower than 90Km/h. The spec seems marginal for my purposes (100Km for charge).

I was thinking of charging at work as well (which will cut the battery life in half), but at least it will let me get back home. I was wondering if driving this scooter at 90-100Km at 100km/h each day is something that is reasonable with that scooter.

Does it make sense to use it like that ?

Will its reliability drop under such usage ?

How many charge cycles should I expect ?

How much does it cost to replace the batteries ?

Is it comfortable to drive it at high speed for 40 minutes or so ?

Thanks in advance.

-- Yaron.

mf70
Re: E-Max for heavy duty usage.

charging at work as well (which will cut the battery life in half),

AFIK, it would do exactly the opposite. Provided your chargers aren't cooking the batteries, recharging at 40% SOC is a good thing, far better than charging at 5% remaining charge.

Of course, you're asking multiple questions about something no one has seen. The site lists:
Distance Range: (based on 45km/h)- 1 charge 100km(based on 80km/h). That's a little confused/confusing. Is the 100Km range based on 45Km/H or 80? What would your "ballsout" range be? If it REALLY has 100Km range at 80Km/H, then a 40Km ride doesn't seem like it would leave you beside the road before your destination.

For reference though: Silicone=SLA + hype. SLA batteries are reliable, if not high capacity.
Lithium=High capacity + $$$$$$$$$$. Operation life issues are unknown. There is a possible calendar life issue, aside from expected number of recharges.

MarkF

PJD
PJD's picture

While I don't expect the new e-max's to be available in the US for a while, what kind of price has the local vendor quote?

yzabary

The estimated price for the 190L was around 5k$ before VAT, but he will not carry them till maybe September. The import tax for electric scooters should be zero around here if that matters.

As for the range, I guess it is 100km @80km/h.

PJD
PJD's picture

I assume the $5k price is a conversion from Euros, so it is hard to tell what it will cost in the US, since there are a lot of other factors.

But, assuming $5K and assuming it is a solidly built scooter, it certainly seems to offer a more affordable, comparably performing alternative to the Vectrix. The only disadvantage is that it doesn't look like a two-passenger cycle.

Any one want to start an importing business?

yzabary

Actually the price is converted from New Israeli Shekels (~25,000NIS) and probably has Israeli VAT included, but I guess you are right and it is much more affordable than Vectrix. I am still waiting for the importer to finish the qualification process with the Ministery of Transportations so I will be able to see it.

Stleride
Stleride's picture

`yzabary ,
Welcome to our V is for Voltage Community, hope you can keep us updated on this.
This post has been added to our E-Max Collaborative Hand Books which are still waiting for someone to adopt. The e-amx Manuals and Diagrams links have been moved to a new location, but currently are still working at the old location.
We need a little help from the Community, keeping the ever increasing number of our Hand Books properly updated.

Stleride
Your Moderator Team Captain

Moderators are community volunteers who help keep V is for Voltage Forums running smoothly, and provide forum support.

`

Stleride
Moderator Team Captain

Moderators are members of our very dedicated community volunteer <a href="http://visforvoltage.net/page/106-our-community-volunteers">V Team</a> who help keep our <a href="http://visforvoltage.net/page/251-poli

davew
davew's picture

I was wondering if driving this scooter at 90-100Km at 100km/h each day is something that is reasonable with that scooter.

In a word, no. You can never use an electric vehicle at it's rated maximum. Weather, terrain, acceleration, battery age, motor age, and marketing hype all conspire to make each trip some amount shorter than the rated maximum -- usually significantly so. I think a good rule of thumb is you can use about 1/2 the rated range. That way you can always count on making it to your destination and you should get some decent life out of the batteries. When the batteries struggle to take you this far you can replace them.

100 km is an awfully long way to ride a scooter each day. I don't know what the weather is like where you live, but you'll need some pretty heavy duty cold weather gear possibly including electrics if it gets down anywhere close to 0C. The problem with motorcycles/scooters is you a sitting perfectly still in a very strong wind. It will suck the heat right out of you. Ebikes don't have this problem as much because you are generating at least a little heat as you pedal along.

Lastly, I've seen some inflated specs in my life, but those Emax specs are not even close to reality. There is just no way a scooter with that battery pack is going to do that well. I'd be surprised if they did 1/2 that well.

--
Full time ebiker
BionX and Wilderness Energy

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"

yzabary

Thanks for your reply about the range. I was thinking of getting the vendor to rent me the
scooter for a month, so I can evaluate it.

As for the 100km commute, this is an the issue, as I have been doing this for the last four years
on a daily basis with my 172cc Joyride. Weather around here is basically scooter friendly.

davew
davew's picture

Thanks for your reply about the range. I was thinking of getting the vendor to rent me the
scooter for a month, so I can evaluate it.

This would be awesome. I hope it works out.

Hmm. Access to a rea electric scooter dealer and balmy weather. I think I'm very jealous. :-)

--
Full time ebiker
BionX and Wilderness Energy

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot