E-Max - Voltage but no power

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
mrjake2
E-Max - Voltage but no power

Hello all,

Thanks for the wiring advice for putting batteries in parallel. Unfortunately I can't even get to the batteries yet, though. It appears I've got another, unrelated problem - when I turn on the ignition, nothing happens when I turn the throttle.

I tested the voltage at the outlets, and it's 55.4. The horn and headlights are working, but the scooter won't move. When I turn the throttle I don't hear any kind of noise. The only other thing I noticed was that there seemed to be a small amount of grease around the axle of the front wheel. I don't know if that's related or not. I've also got a flat tire on the back wheel, but I can't see how that would be related at all.

I'm not very experienced with this yet - could somebody please point me in the right direction towards figuring out what's wrong?

Thanks,
Jake

ArcticFox
ArcticFox's picture
Re: E-Max - Voltage but no power

When you apply the brakes does the motor normally turn itself off? Is there a brake light and is it constantly on?

www.BaseStationZero.com

<table border="0" style="border:1px solid #999999; padding:10px;"><tr><td>
<a href="http://www.BaseStationZero.com">[img]http://visforvoltage.org/files/u419...
[size=1][color=black]www.[/color][color=#337799]BaseStationZero[/color][co

PJD
PJD's picture

1. First, are the two power relays closing? You should hear a fairly loud "cli-click" coming from under the running board when the switch is turned on with the kickstand up, or, when raising or lowering the kickstand when switched on. Also, you don't have a charger plugged in don't you?

2. If you don't hear the click, check the kickstand switch's action and wire connections. If it looks ok, the problem may be the relays, OR the "black box".

The black box is a (somewhat unnecessary) component that keeps the relay circuit open if the kickstand is down and/or a charger is plugged in, and manages single of dual charging in a way that is unnecessary and won't be needed if the batteries are put in the recommended arrangement.

3. Open the relay compartment (under the running board mat) turn on the switch and raise the kickstand. (Of course, you have the scooter up on the center stand for all these checks) If you did hear the click, check that voltage is present between the large inner relay terminals and battery negative (just the red and black wires on the junction block if it is an early e-max). If voltage is present, the relays are working and power is going to the controller. If you didn't hear the click, check for voltage between the small (solenoid) terminal with the red wire and battery negative, if not 48-53 volts, black box or associated wiring or connectors may be bad. If you have voltage to the solenoid, the relays are bad, although it would be unusual for both to go bad.

4. Remove the long black trim piece on the controller side and check that the five connectors for the small control and rotor position (Hall) sensor wires going into the controller are clean and secure. Then, check the motor wire connections at the big plug on the controller for the new-version e-maxs or the junction block next to the relays for the old version. If everything checks out ok, the problem is the controller (most likely) or the motor (not likely).

The "black box" is the cause of a lot of trouble can easily be bypassed or eliminated by just wiring the key switch (and kickstand switch if you want) and a 50-100 ohm resistor directly to the relay circuit.

Now, after writing all of this, I'm willing to bet that with the flat tire it's up on the center stand and forgot to raise the kickstand...

Board Moderator
Board Moderator's picture

`PJD ,
Sure wish you would become our E-Max EV Advisor on our V Team, you have so much knowledge on the E-Max to share with our Community and guest.

Cheers,
Board Moderator

Moderators are your dedicated volunteer V Team members who help keep your V Forums running smoothly and provide you with Forum Support.

Cheers,
Board Moderator

PJD
PJD's picture

Well, if there is an e-max troubleshooting FAQ section or "knowledge base" to put posts like mine, please fell free to put them there, or show me how to do it. The time I allot to spend here is probably best spent on technical stuff rather than administrating and moderating.

Thanks for the offer anyway...

mrjake2

I'm glad I read through your whole message first...it was, in fact, that the kickstand was down. I didn't realize that cut the power to the motor. My disenchantment with my Emax over the last year has apparently lead me to manufacture product defects in my head.

One more small question, then - exactly how do I fix the flat? I've never had a motorcycle, but I was told by one of my motorcycle-owning friends that there is some kind of substance you can use to patch it. Is something like this just meant to be a temporary fix? If so, will I have to get a whole new back tire for the scooter, or just a tube?

PJD, I did a search and saw your previous post about tips for changing out the tire. How did you elevate the bike and hold it steady while you were changing it out?

Thanks,
Jake

Board Moderator
Board Moderator's picture

`PJD

PJD
The time I allot to spend here is probably best spent on technical stuff rather than administrating and moderating.

Well actually there is no administrating and moderating involved. A EV Advisor is someone we believe knows there stuff, and doesn't mind helping others. It gives our Members some added confidence, they may get 6 different solutions from 6 different people and become confused about which solution might work best etc. Maybe a better name would have beev EV Technical Advisor?
We're still in the process of setting it all up, and a E-Max FAQ is a good idea, and we can set something up for you in the E-Max Collaborative Hand Books, thats all there is to it.

Cheers,
Board Moderator

Moderators are your dedicated volunteer V Team members who help keep your V Forums running smoothly and provide you with Forum Support.

Cheers,
Board Moderator

PJD
PJD's picture

You will find wheel removal instructions in the e-max manual in the "EV download library" link - down the right column of this web page. However, DON'T follow the manual's instruction to keep the wheel attached to the motor. And, there is no need to disconnect the motor wires as well. Remove the four bolts that attach the rim to the motor. Then slide the right end of the motor and wheel assembly just far enough off the rear fork to get the rim and tire off.

The center stand should support the scooter high enough for removing a wheel - hang some weights on the handlebar if needed to keep the rear wheel off the ground.

It is best to replace the inner tube rather than attempt to patch it. If the flat was due to a puncture and not a pinched tube, the tire should be replaced for all but the smallest nail holes. I'll leave it up to you to figure out how to remove the tire - It's just like a bicycle, but requires a bit more effort and most people recommend 2-3 good motorcycle tire irons - But I've just used large screwdrivers and pry bars. Use lots of soapy water to lube the tire bead while your prying, and don't pry too hard - the rim bends easily.

And, I take this for granted since I messed with cars a lot, but you need a pretty good automotive tool kit to work on an e-max. I was fairly well equipped to do major car repairs, and I still needed to buy extra wrench sockets and extensions, including sockets for the two large nuts for the rear axle.

mrjake2

I took a look at the manual, but couldn't find a section for wheel removal. Would it be under something else?

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage