DIY

Warning: Creating default object from empty value in taxonomy_term_page() (line 33 of /home/robogeek1/visforvoltage.org/modules/taxonomy/taxonomy.pages.inc).

Mad Magudaman's Trouble Maker

Watt-hours per mile: 
33 WH/Mi
Typical range: 
6
Top speed: 
30 MPH

So my project has finally come to an end and I can finally reap the benefits of this great machine that has been constructed. To give you an overview of how I got to this point I will start for the beginning:

After breaking my second Currie Technology scooter I researched options to use my four dewalt batteries that I had already been using for some time. With much research and time I knew I wanted to go brushless and go toward a conversion for a bike. I researched and in fact really liked Cyclone USA's chain driven system but would not work with my 33v dewalt battery packs. With that option gone that left me with Crystalyte's motors and finally the option to go HIGH VOLTAGE. I ordered a 409 motor based on the power curves of http://www.ebike.ca/simulator/ and to match a Crystalyte 20 amp 36v to 72v controller. Upon receiving all my parts I looked for a good steel frame to mount everything on. A guy at a local bike shop ended up selling me an 1980 something Marin mountain bike frame with a fork.

In my first full day I wet sanded the frame, primed, and then painted. I tried to use an automotive clear coat but ended up with a very dull and disappointing finish, but looks aren't everything, especially if you are getting passed by a bike. The next day I proceed to put all the bike components on the frame. This took an entire day due to rigging and bearing rebuild at the goose neck and cassette. My next day was dedicated to putting on all the electronics and making it look pretty. I was also able to finally get my Drain Brain Mounted on the handle bars as my fuel gauge. All and all I spent close to 35 hours working on this thing. Below are some large pics of the result. I'll try and get a video posted soon too.

I tried to keep the wiring as slick as possible:

Here you can sort of see my controller 36-72v 20 amp:

Close up of the motor with my pipe strap keeping the whole thing from rotating:

My battery bag with 4 dewalts and my custom wiring harness to make them 2s and 2p (pack level; cell level is 20s x 2p). Also I had to use a different wire color to show high voltage:

Lastly my dash board with my drain brain and a cyclocomputer:

Seating capacity: 
1
Heater: 
No
Drivetrain: 
Hub Motor, Direct Drive
Motor: 
Crystalyte 409 Front wheel Hub Motor
Number of wheels: 
2
Controller: 
Crystalyte Instant Start 20 amp 36-72v
Charger: 
Dewalt Stock A123 Charger X2, Hyperion 1210i/A
Batteries: 
Dewalt 33v A123 pack X4 2 series 2 parallel 4 ah at 66v
Location: 
Concord, CA
Method for 12v system: 
DC-DC Converter
Miles as an EV: 
8
Curb weight: 
58 LBS
Conversion time and cost: 
Frame prep(paint, components, Cleaning) = 18 hrs ; Electrical portion (wiring, installing, ect.) = 16 hrs COST = ~1000
Internal Combustion: How Corporations and Governments Addicted the World to Oil and Derailed the Alternatives
Stick it to OPEC - button
Divorce Your Car! : Ending the Love Affair with the Automobile
This is what the END of Gasoline looks like - bumper sticker
The Plan: How to Rescue Society the Day the Oil Stops--or the Day Before
Taking Charge: The Electric Automobile in America



Who's new

  • firingpin
  • Wersula
  • Anjana Jain
  • bradsmith12
  • Rod6270
Customize This