Alternative idea to buying... Suzuki RF900/Vectrix Mashup

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
ofx210p
Alternative idea to buying... Suzuki RF900/Vectrix Mashup

Ok.... this just dawned on me.

What if i don't get a replacement bike...and dont repair the old one. ?
I have a Suzuki RF900 (a sports tourer) with a worn out engine and a Vectrix without a front end.

so... what if i dropped out the engine - re-engineered the vx-1 battery packs and charger to fit the tank/engine area etc

and got it to run ?

Then i thought - ok the gearbox/swingarm/rearwheel would need to be re-engineered for the 17" rear wheel which might be a challenge.

What would concern me most would be the biggest change in diameter of rear wheel and what it would do to the gearbox gearing and ability to accelerate or not as it might transpire.

However its certainly interesting to give it some thought about the possibilities. however ludicrous !

LOL

Cheers

Chris

Caruso
Caruso's picture
Re: Alternative idea to buying... Suzuki RF900/Vectrix Mashup

I would approach it the other way and fit the forks and bodywork from the RF900 to the Vectrix.

antiscab

Then i thought - ok the gearbox/swingarm/rearwheel would need to be re-engineered for the 17" rear wheel which might be a challenge.

Hi Chris,

would mating the Vectrix motor to the original gearbox be an option?

not sure how much room you have on that bike, but if you could fit the motor inboard as well as the battery, you may find it to be rather more rideable

range probably won't be great due to the extra losses, but it should work

Matt

Daily Ride:
2007 Vectrix, modified with 42 x Thundersky 60Ah in July 2010. Done 194'000km

ofx210p

Sadly gearboxes on all inline 4 motorbikes are integral to the crankcases so bolting the motor the gearbox wouldnt be feasible.

However its certainly an interesting idea and makes you think eh.

As for caruso the fork legs on the RF are probably twice the length of the VX-1 so that really isnt feasible ! Unless i'm going for a severe chopper look LOL

image of RF

rf900 engine

Thanks for taking the time to contemplate and reply. food for thought even if somewhat 'out there'

Anderson

It seems like most people with Vectrix's have problems with the parts that are still working on your wrecked scooter; the batteries, motor-hub assembly, motor controller board. Why don't you buy the cheapest non working Vextrix you can find thats for sale and transplant those good parts to it.

ofx210p

Oh of course that wasnt out of the question. But this was more of a mental challenge to see if it could be done.
Moreover my biggest concerns with that idea process was just A. How to mount the motor to a Suzuki wheel/swingarm and secondly what the additional size of the wheel on the RF would make on acceleration/current/range.

Its 99.9% probable this would never go beyond the theory of it all. But its a fun exercise to consider.

ofx210p

Interestingly the battery blocks actually fit within the frame rails across the frame in the similar alignment to the engine LOL

damn this is actually piquing my interest lol

Shame the RF900 will end up with 100 less HP than standard hahahah

jdh2550_1
jdh2550_1's picture

I like your style - but if I were you I wouldn't take this beyond a "thought experiment"!

Think about all the ancillary systems you'll end up wanting to transplant as well (charger, controller, dash to name but a few) and the whole new wiring harness you'll need (every wire on the Vectrix is destined to be 1" to 6" too short (per Murphy's Law)). The Vectrix ain't a simple bike.

You'd do better to do a "standalone" electric conversion on the RF900 and transplant your good Vectrix parts into another dead Vectrix.

Or not.

It's like climbing Everest - no one HAS TO do it. So, go for the transplant if you must! ;-)

All the best.

John H. Founder of Current Motor Company - opinions on this site belong to me; not to my employer
Remember: " 'lectric for local. diesel for distance" - JTH, Amp Bros || "No Gas.

ofx210p

Actually whilst thinking about it, i can't see where i'd fit the charger and ALL the required batteries.

The wiring wouldnt have worried me.

Anyhow it was fun giving it some consideration.

Anderson

Sooner or layter someone's bound to try, what interests me is the problem of the non standard Vectrix motor and how it could be used. I think I may have a solution.

The problem is the motor's long shaft is not meaningfully supported and even if you where able to cut and spline the shaft ( I don't think it could be practically done ) so it was much shorter it's diameter is still too small for the axial loads generated by using a belt pulley for example. I made a cross sectional drawing below that addresses the problem by adding a bearing assembly. In the drawing the green output shaft is suppose to have internal splines that would mate to the Vectrix splined output shaft.

drawing 12.png

ofx210p

I thought you'd make something up that bolts directly to the gearbox (ala back wheel rim does presently) but not a wheel (belt ?)

Obviously you still have the same change in wheel diameter making a difference to its acceleration / range/ top-speed (given power capabilities).

ofx210p

Funny but i can't help myself from playing with the idea

Batteries in RF900 Frame

Batteries in RF900 Frame

Interesting to see where they might go. if they could be fitted....

Still unsure how the swingarm would be mated....

Don't panic guys its only imagineering

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Bengun
  • Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76

Support V is for Voltage