BL 36 reverse switch for special project

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
wavedog
BL 36 reverse switch for special project

I just bought my first 2 BL36 kits and am running one on my mountain bike. It is loads of fun and I am hooked. The original reason I bought the kits was because I have a special project ev that I am building. Originally I built the vehicle for a artists downhill race and now I am converting it over to electric using the BL36 Kits. As you can see by the pics the vehicle is back in the studio where I constructed housings for the hub motors in the rear.I have one motor already attached and it runs like a charm in staionery tests. I have a few questions that I would like to ask to anyone who has the knowledge.

Is there a controller thast will let me run 2 BL36 Motors off one controller?
What kind of switch do I need to put the vehicle in reverse?
With a 72 volt controller can I run the motors at 72 volts?
Thanks for any feedback.

001ecar.jpg002ecar.jpg003ecar.jpg

LinkOfHyrule
LinkOfHyrule's picture
Re: BL 36 reverse switch for special project

First off: LOLOLOLOLOL! :D

Is there a controller thast will let me run 2 BL36 Motors off one controller?

Nope. Technical issues with running two BLDC motors at once. Shoot through (= exploded FETs), mostly.

What kind of switch do I need to put the vehicle in reverse?

I think certain older Crystalyte controllers had a reverse feature. Otherwise, you'll need a relay for each motor to swap around a couple of phase wires.

With a 72 volt controller can I run the motors at 72 volts?

I don't think anyone's tried this yet, but I don't see why you couldn't. Assuming they don't fry, of course.

The author of this post isn't responsible for any injury, disability or dismemberment, death, financial loss, illness, addiction, hereditary disease, or any other undesirable consequence or general misfortune resulting from use of the "information" contai

dogman
dogman's picture

Holy cow, how fast do you want to go? Actually, just one driving wheel will work fine, just like the one rear wheel drive peadle trikes. Nice build! The way the brakes mount will make it pretty easy to add an old front fork to the rear to help support the other side of the hub mototr. There are other ways to do it, but that may be the easiest, welding a fork with the steer tube cut off to the existing break mount arm. Two controllers and two throttles may be the easiest way to do double motors without getting too into electronic mods. Actually, maybe even one throttle controlls both controllers?

Be the pack leader.
36 volt sla schwinn beach cruiser
36 volt lifepo4 mongoose mtb
24 volt sla + nicad EV Global

wavedog

Hey thanks for all the great tips. The two front wheels are Spynergy wheels made with a titanium rim, the original back wheels where also spynergy wheels and in downhill racing it went pretty fast, (faster without the sculpture on back) never had the speed clocked though. Couldn't get the motor to mount on the back spynergy wheels as they are 25" (odd size) and could not find spokes to fit So I used the wheels that came with the motors. The housings have metal rails inside for extra support and I have a torque bar running across the chassis in front part of the housings. Maybe for now I will test it with only one motor mounted bring it up to 48v and see if that is fast enough. Definetly want to make sure it is safe before bringing it to faster speeds. Also thinking about getting a chainless pedal drive and hooking it up to one of the back wheels (somehow) stil working on the drawings for that. That will also make it street legal for jaunts around the neighborhood. Thanks again for the tips and I will keep you all posted.

dogman
dogman's picture

One motor ought to get you to 22 mph or slightly more at 48v. Bikes get about 24 mph. That will be pretty fast for one of those. No suspension will make faster sketchy.

Be the pack leader.

wavedog

Yes that is where I would like to be maybe the next vhicle will have a suspension system. Thanks

wavedog

Really my goal is to drive it in some local parades at slow speed and afterwards be able to kick it up a notch for fun. Its my first ev besides the bike conversion so I don't want to get to tricky with it as I am a novice and this is a fun learning experience.

dogman
dogman's picture

Nothing more fun than an art car and a parade. I'm in a hot air balloon club that does a night parade for fouth of july. Fire that shoots 20 feet into the sky at night is great in a parade! One year we didn't with the $750 first prize. We forgot to send in the entry form. It beats garage sales to fund the club.

Be the pack leader.

1swiftturtle
1swiftturtle's picture

crystalyte did make a 36-72volt dual motor controller with a reverse keyed switch.check with kenny at crystalyte
as it is a special order.if you have no luck let me know as i may sell mine.

have been building e bikes and trikes for 6 years.personal ride is giant
chopper runing custom 36-72 volt crystalyte controller and combo 408-411
brushless motor.other bike is dynamic shaft drive with 408 front motor.
personal trike is industial 1000lb

wavedog

crystalyte did make a 36-72volt dual motor controller with a reverse keyed switch.check with kenny at crystalyte
as it is a special order.if you have no luck let me know as i may sell mine.

Wow. Thats just what I need! I will contact them and let you know.

wavedog

Nothing more fun than an art car and a parade. I'm in a hot air balloon club that does a night parade for fouth of july. Fire that shoots 20 feet into the sky at night is great in a parade! One year we didn't with the $750 first prize. We forgot to send in the entry form. It beats garage sales to fund the club.

I would like to see that.It sounds like loads of fun! Here are some detail shots of my artwork on the "Wavedog Wheeler" I hand painted the little figures and all the artwork is original. What I lack in electrical skill I make up in creativity!
08.jpg

11.jpg

wavedog

Do you know if I should put the reverse switch going from the controller to the motor or from the battery to the controller ?

LinkOfHyrule
LinkOfHyrule's picture

Do you know if I should put the reverse switch going from the controller to the motor or from the battery to the controller ?

You mean for the C'lyte controllers? IIRC, you turned the keyswitch in it backwards to reverse it.

Nice artwork, BTW.

The author of this post isn't responsible for any injury, disability or dismemberment, death, financial loss, illness, addiction, hereditary disease, or any other undesirable consequence or general misfortune resulting from use of the "information" contai

wavedog

Actually I meant with the controller that came with the BL36 Kit.

1swiftturtle
1swiftturtle's picture

it won,t matter where you put the switch as long as you take the leeds off the controller and please don,t continue to send me emails. this is not personal but as a company i answer over a 100 emails a day and offten stay awake all night to stay in touch with china and hawaii. this is not personal and my offer stands as to your controller if kenney can,t help you i will. lesterps by the way i have a hard time seeing the small print sent to me all the best 1swift turtle

have been building e bikes and trikes for 6 years.personal ride is giant
chopper runing custom 36-72 volt crystalyte controller and combo 408-411
brushless motor.other bike is dynamic shaft drive with 408 front motor.
personal trike is industial 1000lb

wavedog

Hmm! Must be someone else sending the e-mails as I am only posting to this thread unless that automatically sends to your e-mail.

wavedog

I've been working on my project. I switched out the rear wheel housings with bike forks (will post pics soon) I purchased 2 crystalyte roadrunner motors (tried it with one and I wasn't getting the uphill torque that i needed)a dual MOTOR controller with a reverse switch, an on board analyzer to control speed, monitor battery etc. now I am looking for a good 48v battery pack. I have seen some 48v 20ah li-on packs on ebay for around $550 and thought that was a good deal but I am wary as Ping offers the same pack for $770 and I know a lot of people recommend his product. Does anyone have any advice for this novice?

Also I am looking at a good braking system and Magura has a "v" hydraulic brake but it is pricey but it is the only v hydraulic brake that i have seen out there. Any thoughts on that?

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Skyhawk 57
  • wild4
  • justinsmith07
  • Juli76
  • xovacharging

Support V is for Voltage