Activating regen braking

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Iccarus
Iccarus's picture
Activating regen braking

I'm wondering if anyone can help me with a problem. To activate the regen braking in a kelly controller you need to short the brk/sw lead from the controller to ground. I posted how I did this for now on the kelly thread. It works but I have to find a different way to activate the brake switch in the controller(there are multiple problems with how I'm doing it now). I guess I need to wire the brake switch so that instead of being on the positive side its on the negative side. The other thing I thought of is just a magneto switch so when you pull the break handle it gets 12v and closes a ground circuit to the brk/sw. That way your brake lights work while using regen. Any other ideas... PLEASE!!! I know there's probably an easy way but I'm just not seeing it.

Iccarus
Iccarus's picture
Re: Activating regen braking

Thanks Matt, A relay is what I meant I think that should do it I'm going to go try it now. Yeah a magneto wouldn't help much eh?:) This is an update. I tried it and it works great. Just squeeze the brake handle a little and start working the triggerbrake. I'm going to go drive around and get used to it. I'll post a picture later.

2008 XM3500li Mods/Kelly KBL12251/84v 28cell 40AH pack/ Variable regen brake trigger on left brake handle/Givi/Cycle Analyst/Homemade BMS

KMX Typhoon Home build (recumbent pedelec) with two Astro Brushless 3220motors/twin castle Phoenix ICEHV 160/ Cycl

Iccarus
Iccarus's picture

Here is a picture of the thumbswitch/triggerswitch the way I mounted it. It's not the greatest picture but you can get the idea. I just got back from more test driving. I find it's best to activate the brakeswitch with the front brake and then just use the regen for braking. It's great I probably will barely ever use the stock brakes anymore. Another picture of the scoot w/kelly controller. Just put the 4 more cells to get back to 28. If the pack voltage is over 90v the controller won't work so I won't push the charge to max.DSC01222.JPGDSC01223.JPG

2008 XM3500li Mods/Kelly KBL12251/84v 28cell 40AH pack/ Variable regen brake trigger on left brake handle/Givi/Cycle Analyst/Homemade BMS

KMX Typhoon Home build (recumbent pedelec) with two Astro Brushless 3220motors/twin castle Phoenix ICEHV 160/ Cycl

Iccarus
Iccarus's picture

Like I thought with 28 cells the pack voltage is to high 95v so the HVC in the controller prevents it from functioning. so with this controller KEB 72601 25 to 26 cells is as high as you can go. (unless you find a way to turn off the high voltage protection feature.) Anyway a $14 relay from pep boys did the trick. You just connect one terminal (#85) to the brakeswitch wire (green/w yellow stripe) one (#86)to ground (green) then connect #30 to ground and #70 to the brk/sw on the controller. The red wire on the thumbswitch goes to the 5v that comes out of the controller (which the throttle also goes to) the black to ground and the white wire to the brk/an lead on the controller. The wires on the controller are all clearly labled. So far the only thing I've noticed is that once you get below a certain speed (3to 5mph) the regen braking stops so you have to finsh braking with the stock brakes sometimes. It can catch you by surprise if your rolling up to an intersection real slow and then go to use the regen and nothing happens. This only happens at super slow speeds so it's really barely worth mentioning.

Viva la regen- Bill

richardb
richardb's picture

You could have used a cheap transistor as an inverter to supply ground to your controller when applying + voltage to the transistor base. You would also need an appropriate resistor to limit the base current.
Dick B.

Dickey_b
Waste Not, Want Not

Iccarus
Iccarus's picture

I would love to try that but don't have the know how. I would not know what transistor to use or what to limit the base current to, or how. I'm just keeping my head obove water with this stuff. But thanks if I had a diagram maybe I could try but this seems to work fine. I'm just afraid it's alot of wear and tear on the relay.

Iccarus
Iccarus's picture

With Kelly controller KEB72601 I find that if you run at 26 cells (86v) the controller works but will not allow the regen to function because the controller senses the voltage is to close to HVC (witch is a good thing) and you only get about 3 or 4 mph faster so just running at 24 seems like the way to go.

Iccarus
Iccarus's picture

Using a cycle analyst dashboard unit I gathered some data on my 24cell 3500li. According to this unit my max amp draw is 139.2amps(this is just a short spike it is usually in the 90s at full throttle accelerating then dropping off fast) max watts to the motor is about 4.5 kw. Range increase from regen braking was 6%. I averaged 48 watt/hours per mile. I went 32miles and used 22.2 amp/hours. My pack voltage was 80v with a minimum voltage of 60v(sag). Thanks for the tip on the cycle analyst Reikiman this thing is great!(but kind of expensive)

Buy Ecotric bikes, get free accessories!

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• Juli76
  • xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot

Support V is for Voltage