11/16/2008 - 1st Long Ride (~5miles): Stable, smooth performance. About 23-24mph on flats. Very quiet. Some cogging at startup, but soon goes away. Some vibration up the steepest hills without pedaling. Pedal-first controller is smooth and kicks in about 3mph or less. May opt for the "shunt mod" in the future to double the current (40A). Bike uses a shimano internal hub shifter, which is a great match to the hub motor: very easy shifting. Highest gear is just barely acceptable for pedal assist on the flats & downhill. May opt to up the "front ring" of the bike for higher gearing...
- bike: ready for a MN winter
- my brushless rig
Development Background: Bought bike from Craigslist. Came with 400W BL-36 and no battery. Wanted to go to 48V, and quickly found out that the controller was only rated at 50V (50V caps). Bought C7220PF controller from ebikes.ca. Bought Ping 48V 16Ah V2 battery on ebay...
- pre assembly
Forks are welded aluminum, appear very strong, but still wanted a torque arm for safety. Ampedbikes seems to have a killer product...
- ampedbikes torque arm
- stealth ping battery & clyte controller
10/11/2008: 3rd test ride: Farther. Went on a 5 mile loop. Very windy, long rolling hills for the most part. I adjusted the pedaling gears so that I could contribute from about 15mph-22mph. Everything went very smooth. This thing is really fast! Scary fast!
10/9/2008: Second test ride: This time with another rider with a spedo. Flats: about 23mph. Slight downhill hits about 28mph. Almost too fast for the 'hood. Ordered a ecrazyman brushed controller and throttle. This should make a big difference. I noticed that if I flip the switch too early (big current draw), the battery cuts out. I don't think this is a problem with the battery or BMS, just the BMS doing its job (I guess...).
10/6/2008: First test ride: Tightened everything REALLY good and installed the torque arm. Found a good, flat straight away and got up to about 20mph (estimated). Flipped switch and it took off...probably mid 25mphs...very strong pull. No noticable heat or general breakage. Will try it again and get a controller.
10/4-6/2008: Prepped Raleigh aluminum bike with Kollmorgen rear brushed hub motor. Motor is rated at 24V, so a bit worried about running it at 60V. Don't have a controller either, so this will be a "flip-switch" test with a 20a automotive switch. Have a 30A inline fuse too. Using somewhat small gauge wire 18ga.(?) so that there is a voltage drop to wheel. Have an old EV Warrior kickstand that I'm using, which is needed cuz this thing wants to fall over all the time with the batt. on the rack. First test: spun wheel with pedal and flipped switch: Wow. Went strong and very fast. Then I smelled burning and shut it down. The wheel had torqued itself loose from the mounts and nearly came out. Need to tighten things down....
Note that this is a pic of the Kollmorgen hub mounted in a "pusher" vehicle (see this photo if interested --> 122.jpg (32.78 KB) Didn't work great. Lots of wheel hop, and weirdness when turning. But it was easy to go from ebike to regular bike...)
10/1/2008: Hooked up charger and ran it over night. Charger ran RED for just a few minutes, then to green. No noticed "balancing" (turning red again). Charged voltage for this 48V pack is ~60V (!).
9/25/2008: Received Ping battery. 48V, 16ah, ~17lbs. Packaged well and arrived apparently safely with 2A charger. Was headed out for a 5 day trip, so had to leave it be :(