How to build and electric scooter from salvaged parts

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
andy mobile
How to build and electric scooter from salvaged parts

I have a mobility scooter that had died and I want to try and get it going again. I'm disabled and use my scooter a great deal and consequently I tend to wear them out. I'm onto my 4th one now. The scooter I'm trying to salvage was showing various flashing lights in the control box, I paid for a professional for a diagnosis and was told the motor's brackes were Stuck/seized and he could do nothing for me. OK, I replaced the scooter and left the old one in my workshop for a while. Then I started to play, I connected the 2x12 v batteries in series to the motor via a simple switch and the motor went like the clappers. I've decided to try and build a hybrid scooter, with hopefully loads of advice from everyone out there. The first problems I've discovered is that when I switch the motor on,,, its on full blast and I have no brakes and I can't go backwards unless I swap the leads around. BY the way the original throttle on the scooter is ruined, one of the terminals has sheared off.

Any advice on the way forward would be really welcome.

Andy

Spaceangel
Re: How to build and electric scooter from salvaged parts

What brand of scooter do you have? I use a LARK scooter and they are out of business but I can get some parts. First of all I took wires from motor and hooked it up to a 1205 Curtis controller a golf cart type. Now it will never burn out. A 450 amp controller. I use a motor cycle twist throttle and dynamic braking. Now the only problem I have is getting new brushes. But heck, they last for two to three years. I also went to 36 volts since the controller can withstand 48 volts and motor is still a 24 volt, it does hills better~er. it sure beats the old LARK set up. PS make sure the pot box only can do 0 to 2.5 K or maybe 0 to 3 K ohms for that much voltage can make for super fast speeds if you went to full 5 K ohms. I did almost 20 MPH on three wheels. Screaming meemie!!! You really need a controller and not the relay route. Best to keep it under 9 MPH if you can.

KB1UKU

andy mobile

hi, the scooter is a prestige explorer 6 (top speed 6 mph). You mention the 1205 curtis controller, do you know if they are available in the UK. I have a controller but no schematic diagram, will I be able to wire it so that the scooter will go forwards, backwards and be able to regulate the speed, or am I wasting my time with the controller.

Andy

BigA

apologies for bumping a old post. I saw Lark scooter in the posts. Ive been searching for awhile now. I have a Lark rear wheel drive from around 1992. knock on wood all electrics are fine I'm looking for the rear axle/differential. Any ideas? Company is sold and they cant help. I asked if they could track anything but no help.

thanks

rans2155

hi there, im new here, but i like electric scooters as well. I think maybe you can check out alibaba and you will be able to get your parts for the cheapest

reeeemaaa

Well Its not so easy... You need to install electric kit,, have to check out whether its available in market

Delperto

I would like to buy a new scooter which one would be good for a new one?

Use code"Solar22" and enjoy 12% off for all solar Kits.

Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.

Who's new

• xovacharging
  • stuuno
  • marce002
  • Heiwarsot
  • headsupcorporation

Support V is for Voltage